Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smartthings to Homeseer - Hardware/Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartthings to Homeseer - Hardware/Software?

I'm definitely moving to something from SmartThings as I need greater reliability. It appears that the Homeseer name comes up a lot of the SmartThings forums lately. I was browsing the Homeseer store and see there are hardware devices and software.

Currently I'm running Lutron Caseta, Zwave switches/Zwave Motion/Zwave Locks, Iris Zigbee Motion, Lifx, Hue, Ecobee, Rachio devices, and some specialized devices where I'm using a Pi as a broker for SmartThings. One feature I've got to have is the ability to expose a Pico as I'm using it to control the smart bulbs - e.g. like the Kitchen Overhead lights. Can Homeseer handle all of these?

What would best suit this configuration, the hardware device or just the software device running on a lightweight (lower power!) PC? I'm using the software would need to have ports for Zwave, etc. like Home Assistant? Also I'm wondering about plugins - if Homeseer sells them I assume they are officially supported?

If these are covered elsewhere sorry for another duplicate. I did some searches for SmartThings, Migration, etc but nothing came up in my search.

Welcome to the Homeseer Forum e8link!

There are no Homeseer Plugins to the Smartthings hub.

The Smartthing internet cloud connected hub works well here.

Here run a custom piece of software which connects my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel to the Samsung hub and combine it with the Homeseer Omni Plugin.

Today the OmniPro 2 panel connects to X10, Zigbee, ZWave and UPB. There are temperature, humidity, PIR, Door switches wired to the panel.

Homeseer connects to ZWave, X10, UPB and soon to Zigbee.

Relating to Homeseer in addition to seeing the OmniPro 2 panel stuff Homeseer controls ZWave, UPB,

I have played with Home Assistant, OpenHab, Domoticz, HomeGenie, Almond Plus...

You will get the best deal for your buck using the Homeseer 3 software.

There are Homeseer 3 included plugins and many many 3rd party author plugins for just about anything these days.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not looking to supplement SmartThings, I'm looking for a replacement.

If I just purchase the software, what kind of hardware would I need to purchase?

Also do you know if a Pico can be used as a device via the Lutron Pro hub?

Comment

You can purchase Homeseer standard or pro and run it on Windows or Linux (any PC will work).

The Zee2 is Homeseer 3 limited to 5 plugins, runs only on Linux and sold as the Zee2 (RPi3).

Also do you know if a Pico can be used as a device via the Lutron Pro hub?

I do not know.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

They're just rolling out a Zigbee workaround, but it requires a separate hub of some kind (Jowihue?). I still have a few unused zigbee stuff form my Smartthings days. If you're not heavily invested, probably best to shy away from Zigbee. Their work around may work well, but I think i'm sticking to native protocols for HS.
          The Pico, I don't think you can use those either. Losing the Pico remotes was heartbreaking, and a couple of years ago ZWave remotes in general were hard to come-by in any flavor. There was the Aeon Labs Minimote which has four buttons (kinda ugly), and that was it. About a year later the Remotec ZRC-90 came out which has 8 buttons that support double taps, and held down, so it's probably overkill for just about anything. Recently they released the Wallmote Quad which I plan on replacing the ZRC-90s with. But, none of these are Picos. Maybe that Jowihue Zigbee workaround hub supports the Picos? Which I don't do much dimming around here, and the use of HSTouch tablets, and motion controlled lights with Double and Tripple Tap scenes, I don't really think you'll miss the Picos all that much once you get your feet under you in regards to HS. If it needs a Pico remote, i'd either make due with one of the remotes I mentioned earlier, or automate it with 'Taps/Scenes', or create a cool HSTouch screen.
          A PC for HS3, I think an i5 Win 7 with an SSD Laptop would be ideal. Run only HS3 on it. Here I have a Hometroller S6 for HS3, and an I7 Win7 Laptop that does Media Server, Blue Iris for Cameras, HSTouch Designer, and everyday web surfing on it.

Comment

Pico remotes work remarkably well with HomeSeer using the Lutron Smart Bridge PRO and the Lutron HS3 plug-in. Note that the regular bridge will not work.

Comment

e8link - I switched from Smartthings V2 hub back in 2016 to Homeseer and I have NEVER looked back! Homeseer is SO MUCH more reliable! I NEVER have issues with my smart home network because it is 100% local. I am currently integrating Nest, Hue Lights, Wemo, Rachio, Ambient Weather Station, Life360, 3 harmony hubs, 5 roku's, MyQ garage and many Zwave devices (Homeeseer Light/Fan dimmer/on/off switches, relays for pool pumps, etc). I am extremely happy with my setup.

I used to have the Sel Pro (which is Linux based) but i decided to install the HS3 windows software on a virtual windows 10 image running off my QNAP NAS and it is beautiful. I take snapshots and before I update or upgrade a plugin or zwave version I snapshot just in case I need to revert back but so far I have had NO ISSUES!

I definitely recommend the switch. One thing worth waiting for will be the new Homeseer Mobile app which is very similar to the Smartthings Mobile app. It is not released and some of us (including me) have been beta testing and all i can say is I love it!

There are so many things you can do with Homeseer that blow Smartthings away (even if you use CoRE) like create virtual devices, times, counters, trigger events, etc. The only part is you need to buy some of the plugins (IE, Nest, Ecobee, Harmony Hub, Life360, etc..) but you do get a 30 day trial and Homeseer is also very good at extending the trial if you have a good reason why. I also use HSBuddy and Imperihome for clients that connect to my Homeseer devices. My favorite is the Homeseer Mobile though! It is going to be awesome when they release it!

If you want to know more about the Homeseer mobile app check out the posts:
              Overview HomeSeer Mobile is a new FREE mobile app that's designed to work with HomeSeer HS3-based systems including the following: HS3, HS3PRO & HS3-Pi

Comment

Working...
              X