www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:00 PM
Seer

Hi Mark,

Quick question in regards to a new 8 button keypad I recently installed. The option for "Non-Toggle Off" is no longer a choice for "Button Mode". Is this a limitation of the new keypads?
Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:37 PM
Insteon Overlord

Yes. SH removed that feature. Use non toggle on and set the levels to 0 or off for responder devices.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:14 PM
Seer

Thank you for the quick response!
Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:56 PM
Viewer

Insteon Virtual links

Hi Mark,
I read in an old message post about you adding virtual Insteon links to the plugin. What is the status of that?

Thanks very much,
Patrick
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:32 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmendiuk View Post
Hi Mark,
I read in an old message post about you adding virtual Insteon links to the plugin. What is the status of that?

Thanks very much,
Patrick
Patrick,
not sure what you are referring to. can you point me to the thread or post

Or what functionality are you looking for?
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:22 PM
Seer

Utility to facilitate setup of N-way switching

Hi Mark,

I'm a recent convert to Insteon from the Z-wave world, and I have to say that your plugin is, in part, to blame. The visibility and control that your plugin provides into the connectivity between my Insteon devices was instrumental in my decision to switch nearly all of my smart home devices from Z-Wave to Insteon.

All of that said, I do have a feature request that, I believe, would make the management of links easier.

Imagine that I have two dimmer modules and three keypads. Say I want to each keypad to have a button that controls the pair of dimmers as well as keeping all of dimmers and the buttons in sync, it can be a bit tedious to get things set up:
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad3 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad3 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Keypad2 Button 1
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Keypad3 Button 1
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Keypad3 Button 1
  • Dimmer1 cross-link Dimmer2

Additional challenges occur when it comes to revising this set up:
  • Say I want to remove Keypad2 Button1? I have to go through and delete 8 links manually.
  • Adding a new dimmer or maybe just control via another button requires bouncing setting up several new links.
I always miss a step, and my wife is the first to notice.

Here's my request: It'd be very handy if I could take a group of devices and check box for "keep all of these in sync", and the Insteon plugin would take care of generating all of the appropriate links. If I add or remove devices from said group, the appropriate links would be added or removed. It'd make my life easier, so I'm sure it'd help others, as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:58 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Hi Mark,

I'm a recent convert to Insteon from the Z-wave world, and I have to say that your plugin is, in part, to blame. The visibility and control that your plugin provides into the connectivity between my Insteon devices was instrumental in my decision to switch nearly all of my smart home devices from Z-Wave to Insteon.

All of that said, I do have a feature request that, I believe, would make the management of links easier.

Imagine that I have two dimmer modules and three keypads. Say I want to each keypad to have a button that controls the pair of dimmers as well as keeping all of dimmers and the buttons in sync, it can be a bit tedious to get things set up:
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad3 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer1
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad3 Button 1 cross-link Dimmer2
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Keypad2 Button 1
  • Keypad1 Button 1 cross-link Keypad3 Button 1
  • Keypad2 Button 1 cross-link Keypad3 Button 1
  • Dimmer1 cross-link Dimmer2

Additional challenges occur when it comes to revising this set up:
  • Say I want to remove Keypad2 Button1? I have to go through and delete 8 links manually.
  • Adding a new dimmer or maybe just control via another button requires bouncing setting up several new links.
I always miss a step, and my wife is the first to notice.

Here's my request: It'd be very handy if I could take a group of devices and check box for "keep all of these in sync", and the Insteon plugin would take care of generating all of the appropriate links. If I add or remove devices from said group, the appropriate links would be added or removed. It'd make my life easier, so I'm sure it'd help others, as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Have you tried using the Groups feature in the plugin to do this? each group could have a controller which would be a kpl Btn. you would need three different groups to setup the scenario you outlined

I don't understand why you would have 3 different kpl btns controlling the same two dimmers unless you had different on-levels and ramp-rates set for each button.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:39 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
Have you tried using the Groups feature in the plugin to do this? each group could have a controller which would be a kpl Btn. you would need three different groups to setup the scenario you outlined

I don't understand why you would have 3 different kpl btns controlling the same two dimmers unless you had different on-levels and ramp-rates set for each button.
This is for my bedroom -- I have a keypad at the door, a keypad on my nightstand, and a keypad on my wife's nightstand. There are common sets of lights that I'd like to be able to control from each keypad, as well as keep the buttons all in sync.

I'm aware of the groups functionality, but having to set up multiple groups for the same function is still a bit tedious. What I'm suggesting is the addition of a layer of abstraction, allowing me to define a set of controllers as well as a lighting scene, and have all of the links maintained beneath the hood.