www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old October 11th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Seer Master

FEATURE REQUEST

Should the motion detectors show Motion / No Motion and use the default graphics for these rather than On / Off?
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
FEATURE REQUEST

Should the motion detectors show Motion / No Motion and use the default graphics for these rather than On / Off?
That's easy enough for you to fix yourself. Here's an example (just change it to your device numbers)

&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[60", "~No Motion" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~Motion" & chr(2) & "100", false
&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[68", "~battery_100" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~battery_25" & chr(2) & "100", false
&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[67", "~luminance-100" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~luminance-00" & chr(2) & "100", false

These execute directly. Take the "&" at the start of each line out to use them in a script instead.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
That's easy enough for you to fix yourself. Here's an example (just change it to your device numbers)

&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[60", "~No Motion" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~Motion" & chr(2) & "100", false
&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[68", "~battery_100" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~battery_25" & chr(2) & "100", false
&hs.DeviceValuesAdd "[67", "~luminance-100" & chr(2) & "0" & chr(1) & "~luminance-00" & chr(2) & "100", false

These execute directly. Take the "&" at the start of each line out to use them in a script instead.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I am thinking this is a motion sensor not a light bulb so shouldn't the default follow the default icons/text for a motion sensor rather than a lighting device?
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
Thanks for the tip. I guess I am thinking this is a motion sensor not a light bulb so shouldn't the default follow the default icons/text for a motion sensor rather than a lighting device?
I do not disagree. I'm just giving you a work-around.
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Insteon Overlord

i can add this to the next version, but joegr's solution is a good one that will allow you to custom any hs device to your liking.

i have a script that does this for a bunch of my devices (doors, windows, etc)

these cmds only need to be run once, the settings are actually saved by hs in the database.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Seer Master

Selective polling

Hi Mark,

Problem: I have a SwitchLinc that I power off during winter. Whenever I initiate polling, it goes through its 5 attempts for this switch, chewing up time. I don't want to delete the device only to have to reprogram it in the spring.

Feature request 1: For each device, in addition to specific polling timing, have an option to include/exclude it (check mark) from the global polling command. Alternative: have a Disable option on each device (would show up in lists, but no action allowed against it)

Feature request 2: On the Edit Insteon Device page, have a button to specifically poll that device once. Great when you are debugging a particular device.
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hi Mark,

Problem: I have a SwitchLinc that I power off during winter. Whenever I initiate polling, it goes through its 5 attempts for this switch, chewing up time. I don't want to delete the device only to have to reprogram it in the spring.

Feature request 1: For each device, in addition to specific polling timing, have an option to include/exclude it (check mark) from the global polling command. Alternative: have a Disable option on each device (would show up in lists, but no action allowed against it)

Feature request 2: On the Edit Insteon Device page, have a button to specifically poll that device once. Great when you are debugging a particular device.
Feature request 1:
interesting idea on the disable device flag. so if the device was listed in the action of an event, then that particular action wouldn't be executed.

would an alternative solution to all this be a different event that is enabled or disabled based on the season and include or exclude said device. And you could always set the polling to zero.

i'll have to think about this one.

Feature request 2:
what should be displayed in this poll routine or are you just looking to see the entries in the log?
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
Feature request 1:
interesting idea on the disable device flag. so if the device was listed in the action of an event, then that particular action wouldn't be executed.

would an alternative solution to all this be a different event that is enabled or disabled based on the season and include or exclude said device. And you could always set the polling to zero.

i'll have to think about this one.
I'm not sure I follow the alternative solution. My biggest issue with polling as it is currently is that, in testing, I'm forced to go through polling all the devices just to actualize the status of one device or check that it is still responding. Even if all my devices have 'polling=0', since I use the 'poll devices' button.

That being said, I personally would prefer a 'disable device' option. This would
  • Prevent it from being polled on a general poll command
  • Ignore the device in any script or command (a pop up reminder would be nice) that wants to modify or action on it
  • But still show up on lists, such as the status screen; even if the device was disabled, one could still get information on the device in scripts
I suspect this feature could require a significant change in the plugin architecture, but "oh, what a relief it would be"
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Feature request 2:
what should be displayed in this poll routine or are you just looking to see the entries in the log?
Feature #2 is plan B if feature #1 is a no go. But my money is on #1.

As I said in my previous message, I find myseld often doing polls to "... actualize the status of one device or check that it is still responding ...".

To answer specifically, I would like to see a message confirming, for example, "Polling: [1:S. TV] TV spot (Status is: Off)", as with the general polling command. Entries in the log would be nice in 'debug' logging level.
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Seer Master

What feature is up next?

Hi Mark,

Curious to see what's your next challenge for the plugin. How far down your list is support (via the interface vs. script) for the IRlinc receiver (2411R) ?
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Insteon Overlord

Claude,

As you suspect, implementing Request #1 would be a challenge (one that i'm not up for just yet). Request #2 would obviously be much easier to implement but doesn't really solve your original problem.

So back to your original problem regarding the switchlinc that you shut off in the winter...how about changing the location (via a script) to move the device to 'winter disabled' location and thus the device wouldn't get polled when using the 'poll device' btn

i could probably add an action to allow you to set the Polling Interval so you could set the intervalto 0 at the same time.

then in the spring or when ever, you would run another script to reverse the settings (the location and polling interval)

what do you think
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hi Mark,

Curious to see what's your next challenge for the plugin. How far down your list is support (via the interface vs. script) for the IRlinc receiver (2411R) ?
I've been adding support for some new smarthome beta products that i've been testing. i have also been working on a routine to keep the link tables current. I have also thought about adding support for virtual comm ports via an ip protocol, but this is probably at the bottom of the list. That said, I still want to add the 2411R and its making its way up the list.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
...how about changing the location (via a script) to move the device to 'winter disabled' location and thus the device wouldn't get polled when using the 'poll device' btn...
After so many years I still learn something new. I tested and you're right: it seems that the 'Poll device' button will poll only devices that appear on the status page (even those that are marked hidden).

On the other hand, the HS help says: "As soon as the Poll Device button is clicked, HomeSeer will send a query to each device that's connected to it to get the device's current status. Only those devices that are capable of returning status information will respond. The information retrieved from each device is listed in this screen. The status information will also be updated in the Status screen." This would imply that all devices would get polled, contrary to what is actually happening.

My problem was that I display 'all devices' on the status page because I use 'location' to help me sort my devices on the page. So I activated 'location2' and basically defined a location2 labelled 'Active' to which I associated only those devices that I want polled.

Thanks for the trigger.
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Seer Master

Now and then (sometimes in response to a power blip, sometimes not) the plugin will stop communicating with the PLM. When it does, it puts error messages into the log such as"
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: 1st Kitchen Overhead Light ([38) OFF
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
12/13/2010 7:57:22 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log"

This may have to do with the USB chip in the PLM, I don't know. Anyway, I have discovered that restarting the server PC will get it to work again. Would it be possible to have a trigger event from the plugin for when it can't communicate with the PLM. With such a trigger, I could run a script to make the PC restart and thus auto correct (or work around) this problem.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Now and then (sometimes in response to a power blip, sometimes not) the plugin will stop communicating with the PLM. When it does, it puts error messages into the log such as"
12/13/2010 7:55:58 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: 1st Kitchen Overhead Light ([38) OFF
12/13/2010 7:57:22 AM ~!~Insteon~!~** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - E:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log"

This may have to do with the USB chip in the PLM, I don't know. Anyway, I have discovered that restarting the server PC will get it to work again. Would it be possible to have a trigger event from the plugin for when it can't communicate with the PLM. With such a trigger, I could run a script to make the PC restart and thus auto correct (or work around) this problem.

Joe,
i think the trigger is possible. could you post the error log report
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Joe,
i think the trigger is possible. could you post the error log report
The Insteon Error Report.Log file has been overwritten. I'll have to recreate the issue and then I can post the file. It may be a few days before I can.
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
The Insteon Error Report.Log file has been overwritten. I'll have to recreate the issue and then I can post the file. It may be a few days before I can.
Joe,

i added a trigger for when the plm interface "crashes". basically if the 'send' fails, the trigger is called.

My question is should the plugin just shutdown and post the trigger? Otherwise as you have experienced, the plugin will keep going and continue to post errors and now it will continue to send the trigger unless i prevent this.

also, have you updated the ftdi chipset VCP drivers to the latest. avail here
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Joe,

i added a trigger for when the plm interface "crashes". basically if the 'send' fails, the trigger is called.

My question is should the plugin just shutdown and post the trigger? Otherwise as you have experienced, the plugin will keep going and continue to post errors and now it will continue to send the trigger unless i prevent this.

also, have you updated the ftdi chipset VCP drivers to the latest. avail here
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
I think that it would be okay to keep going and continue to trigger. I think I can handle the multiple triggers while shutting the PC down.

I did update to the latest drivers, but only just after the last crash. In any event, the problem continues. Interestingly enough, the PLM I was using didn't seem to do this much, but it would sometimes loose all of its link memory and had to be restored by the program interface button. I switched it out for this one, and it seems to be more prone to the crashes. One cause is if the power goes out and then comes back quickly. (The PC is on a UPS.) I have moved the PLM to the UPS too and so far that takes care of it. (Both PLMs are dual band USB.)

Here's the crash log from a crash I caused by briefly unplugging the PLM.

I induced the crash at about 9:17pm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Insteon Error Report.zip (471.3 KB, 6 views)
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
I think that it would be okay to keep going and continue to trigger. I think I can handle the multiple triggers while shutting the PC down.

I did update to the latest drivers, but only just after the last crash. In any event, the problem continues. Interestingly enough, the PLM I was using didn't seem to do this much, but it would sometimes loose all of its link memory and had to be restored by the program interface button. I switched it out for this one, and it seems to be more prone to the crashes. One cause is if the power goes out and then comes back quickly. (The PC is on a UPS.) I have moved the PLM to the UPS too and so far that takes care of it. (Both PLMs are dual band USB.)

Here's the crash log from a crash I caused by briefly unplugging the PLM.

I induced the crash at about 9:17pm.
Joe,
thanks for the feedback and the pseudo error report.

Unplugging the plm actually causes a different error then what you experienced before. Note the error "The port is closed". I could probably recover from this type of error but nobody gets this error.

If you experience your previous error again you will notice the error says "access to port is denied", this is the one that requires a restart because the state of the usb and com port are really messed up.
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Joe,
thanks for the feedback and the pseudo error report.

Unplugging the plm actually causes a different error then what you experienced before. Note the error "The port is closed". I could probably recover from this type of error but nobody gets this error.

If you experience your previous error again you will notice the error says "access to port is denied", this is the one that requires a restart because the state of the usb and com port are really messed up.
Actually, I do get that exact error when I have a power interruption, which is what I simulated yesterday. (I unplugged the PLM from the wall, not the USB cable.) As I said, I think I have that resolved by plugging the PLM into the UPS, but I do suspect that hampers the powerline signaling.