Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request / how to... Fade out before announcement

Hi,

Just bought this after playing with the eval version... Looks good!

One thing I'm not sure how to do is to achieve a 'soft' fadeout of the existing music stream before playing the TTS announcement...

And the reverse of this when the announcement has ended.

I'd also like the option of playing a wav file as an attention getter (a la airport) before the TTS announcement, but i can probably script that myself if i have to.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by mazaroo View Post
      Hi,

Just bought this after playing with the eval version... Looks good!

One thing I'm not sure how to do is to achieve a 'soft' fadeout of the existing music stream before playing the TTS announcement...

And the reverse of this when the announcement has ended.

I'd also like the option of playing a wav file as an attention getter (a la airport) before the TTS announcement, but i can probably script that myself if i have to.

Thanks,
      Hi Mazaroo,

congratulations on your purchase.

Interesting request on your fade but hard to implement and probably something you might not want over time. Here's why. The sonos player in fact already has some delay when you increase or decrease its volume. So let's just say, the volume was at 50, the announcement kicks in, the plug-in slowly ramps the volume down to 0, now set it back to 50, now it is the sonos player which is slowly ramping up, so you might already lose a few seconds before the announcement kicks in. If you combine that with the time it takes to save queues, link players, do this for a number of players, what you end up with is many seconds of silence before any announcement comes through.

For example, I have an announcement when any of my z-wave locks is being opened, either garage or kitchen. I want the announcement to come through as quick as possible not before the person that came through either door already walks up on me in the living room.

To your second question about the "attention gette"r, which by the way you could record to "ramp up/down in volume", how to do that is described in the help file but in a nutshell, write the full path of the file name in the text field and separate the multiple segments of sound|text|sound by using a | character.

Here's an example of what you can write in the text field of the action for a Speak action:

c:\announcements\chime.wav|good morning mazaroo how are you|c:\announcements\chime.wav

This will give you a chime before and after the "good morning..." announcement.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Dirk

Comment

Queue add-on versus clear/play

Hi, I noticed on Nov. 20, 2010 in this thread that you indicated that you'd added the ability to add to an existing queue. i cannot find that anywhere.

We have a button by our pool which, among other things, starts a certain playlist on our outside SONOS zone. The problem is that by playing the playlist, it wipes the existing queue. This upsets a particularly important person in our house, so I'd like to be able to add a playlist to the queue and play it rather than erase the queue and play it. Is there a way to do this?

If I use "play now" in the SONOS PC-client, it simply adds the songs to the playlist and starts playing them. If I use "play next", it inserts the current selection into the playlist after the currently playing song. And of course "add to queue" adds it to the queue but doesn't necessarily start playing. it would be great if the SONOS plug in could work similarly, without wiping the existing queue upon issuing a play command.

Perhaps you support this in scripting - if so, please point the way, but otherwise it would be great to see it in the events GUI.

Thanks,

Tim
        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timlacey View Post
          Hi, I noticed on Nov. 20, 2010 in this thread that you indicated that you'd added the ability to add to an existing queue. i cannot find that anywhere.
          Tim, what was added in November 2010 was the ability to select tracks and add them to the queue using the plugin's built in player web control page. Sorry nothing else. Any event will unfortunately clear the queue and add an option to clear or not clear the queue depending on what kind of event is quite some surgery.

Dirk

Comment

Hi Dirk,
            I'm loving this plug in. I have set up a keypad (insteon keypadlinc) to create Homeseer events to select various sonos inputs. I was also hoping to use one button to raise the sound volume and one to lower the sound volume. I see in the actions tab that I can set the volume to a specific number.

Would it be possible to write code such that if I wrote +5 in the volume box it would raise the volume by 5? Same with -X, lowering the volume by X? Or some other method to raise/lower volume without having to know where it currently is?

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              Hi Dirk,
              I'm loving this plug in. I have set up a keypad (insteon keypadlinc) to create Homeseer events to select various sonos inputs. I was also hoping to use one button to raise the sound volume and one to lower the sound volume. I see in the actions tab that I can set the volume to a specific number.

Would it be possible to write code such that if I wrote +5 in the volume box it would raise the volume by 5? Same with -X, lowering the volume by X? Or some other method to raise/lower volume without having to know where it currently is?
              Sure, link them to a Device action and pick the vol up/down. The stepsize which is defaulted to 5 can be set in the Sonos config page.

Dirk

Comment

Thanks Dirk. I forgot about that way to control things. Separately, I'm trying to figure out how to play all my stored music. I have been able to play "all tracks" on the Sonos user interface, but can't seem to find it on the plug in.
                Thanks again for your great plug in and support.
                Jono

Comment

Thanks Dirk. I forgot about that way to control things. Separately, I'm trying to figure out how to play all my stored music. I have been able to play "all tracks" on the Sonos user interface, but can't seem to find it on the plug in.
                  Thanks again for your great plug in and support.
                  Jono
                  Jono, I'm currently traveling. Can you be more specific what you want to do? Have you consulted the help file (click on help on top of the HS web page"?

Dirk

Comment

Thanks Dirk. No rush on this. I will try to describe more clearly.

It is very easy with your plug in to play my stored music. Specifically on the event action page I can pick a single artist, single album, single genre, etc. However, what I am looking to do is play all my files (all artists, albums, genres) randomly. I have the random part solved, but haven't figured out on the plug in action page how to select all my stored songs.

I was hoping there might be a pull down entry on Artists for All Artists, or something equivalent for another category. Perhaps a good place for it would be the selection box for Playlists. Or Track Contains could have a wildcard entry to represent all tracks.

On the Sonos UI there is a selection for playing all files, so I was hoping as a feature request that you plug in might be able to do that as well.

Many thanks for your great work.
                    Jono

Comment

Another feature request: Include as sonos event triggers certain stations playing.

I have a keypad that I use to control sonos through your plug in and that is working very well. However, if someone starts sonos through an ipod touch, or ipad, I'd like to keep the keypad in synch. So if the station for button A is playing, I'd like to light up button A, even if station A was set to play with another device. Having a trigger for certain stations playing would allow me to do that.
                      Thanks for considering.
                      Jono

Comment

Another feature request: Include as sonos event triggers certain stations playing.

I have a keypad that I use to control sonos through your plug in and that is working very well. However, if someone starts sonos through an ipod touch, or ipad, I'd like to keep the keypad in synch. So if the station for button A is playing, I'd like to light up button A, even if station A was set to play with another device. Having a trigger for certain stations playing would allow me to do that.
                        Thanks for considering.
                        Jono
                        I think you can do this with a simple script. Create an event, with trigger Sonos Song Change or Sonos play Change (from pause/stop to play). As action you run a small script. In the script you pickup the pointer to the right zone player (see Sonos PI help doc at end), compare the trackname or whatever property that is important to you, if it matches, you generate the right device action to light up the right button.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Thanks Dirk. No rush on this. I will try to describe more clearly.

It is very easy with your plug in to play my stored music. Specifically on the event action page I can pick a single artist, single album, single genre, etc. However, what I am looking to do is play all my files (all artists, albums, genres) randomly. I have the random part solved, but haven't figured out on the plug in action page how to select all my stored songs.

I was hoping there might be a pull down entry on Artists for All Artists, or something equivalent for another category. Perhaps a good place for it would be the selection box for Playlists. Or Track Contains could have a wildcard entry to represent all tracks.

On the Sonos UI there is a selection for playing all files, so I was hoping as a feature request that you plug in might be able to do that as well.

Many thanks for your great work.
                          Jono
                          Not sure how large your track selection is but one way to do it is to put all your tracks in the player queue and save the queue as a playlist, use that playlist in your HS actions/events and play at random. Of course when you add tracks to your library, on occasion you would have to refresh that playlist.

The way Sonos works, it plays from a queue, so whatever solution we can come up with is a solution that has to get all tracks in the queue. So whether we succeed doing it via the Sonos PI or via the Sonos controller, the principle doesn't change, it still requires clearing the queue, adding all tracks to the queue and then let Sonos play them.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                            Not sure how large your track selection is but one way to do it is to put all your tracks in the player queue and save the queue as a playlist, use that playlist in your HS actions/events and play at random. Of course when you add tracks to your library, on occasion you would have to refresh that playlist.

The way Sonos works, it plays from a queue, so whatever solution we can come up with is a solution that has to get all tracks in the queue. So whether we succeed doing it via the Sonos PI or via the Sonos controller, the principle doesn't change, it still requires clearing the queue, adding all tracks to the queue and then let Sonos play them.

Dirk
                            Hi Dirk,
                            On the Sonos ipad and PC user interface, there is an option under Music Library for Tracks. Then the first option is All Tracks. That is what I was hoping could show up in the plug in. It plays all tracks stored in the library. I was hoping that usage of All Tracks in the other platforms could somehow that gives you something to call on with the plug in.

I appreciate your thoughts on making a playlist as a work around. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                              I think you can do this with a simple script. Create an event, with trigger Sonos Song Change or Sonos play Change (from pause/stop to play). As action you run a small script. In the script you pickup the pointer to the right zone player (see Sonos PI help doc at end), compare the trackname or whatever property that is important to you, if it matches, you generate the right device action to light up the right button.

Cheers,

Dirk
                              This sounds like it will get the job done. I'm a real novice at scripting syntax. I did find the (wonderfully comprehensive) help section you referred to, but I don't think I know enough about defining variables etc to pull it off. If anyone can point me to intro for scripting, I'd be eager to learn how. Thanks.

Comment

Re: SonosController Feature Requests

Hi Dirk,

I have a rather unusual request which I'm not even sure is possible. I would like to have thumbs up / thumbs down buttons for when playing Pandora Radio. The Sonos app does support this for Pandora but we primarily use HS Touch with your Sonos plugin and would rather stay in the HST GUI if possible.

Mark

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Working...
                                X