www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old January 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
Paul, why are you suggesting to change the port number? What is wrong with 25105?
There is absolutely no security on the hub from the outside world. The only prevention you can do, and it's minimal but every bit counts, is to change the default port which everyone knows. It won't deter the hacker pros but could discourage the overly curious.

The other thing to do is to do port mapping on your router if possible.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Seer Master

Insteon is slowly catching up with the hub. I got this email today. Most of my gripes have been addressed. I hope the new version is out by summer and this starts a new phase for insteon.

March 6, 2013

Dear INSTEON Hub Customer,
We apologize for the multiple shipment delays and any Hub-related issues that you may have experienced. Your feedback and patience has been greatly appreciated while we work hard to resolve these issues.
Here are just a few of the features we have been working on:
Hardware revisions to the Hub:
  • Dual-band communication
  • More robust and stable connectivity
  • Security enhancements
  • Increased powerline signal strength
We’ve also made improvements to the mobile applications:
  • Numerous stability improvements
  • Accuracy when creating scenes has been improved
  • Ability to add devices by INSTEON ID
  • Tutorial videos can now be skipped
  • Support for I/O Linc
  • Slider control for dimmable lights
  • Device status requests are now more efficient
  • Schedule enhancements
  • Improvements to X10 device signaling
  • More coming soon
Whether you have a Hub on order or you’re already using one, we will be sending you an upgraded Hub at no additional cost as soon as inventory becomes available. Additionally, as a token of our appreciation for your business and patience, you will also receive a free INSTEON Leak Sensor.
Before we begin shipping the revised Hub with updated hardware we want to do as much testing as possible. Everyone receiving this letter is eligible to participate. If you are selected to participate, you will be sent an updated Hub and will have access to the newest versions of the INSTEON for Hub app. Please know there are a limited number of units available and therefore participants will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you would like to be a participant, Click Here. If you are not interested in being a tester, you do not need to respond to this letter or take any other action at this time.
Thank you very much for your continued support.

Sincerely,
The INSTEON Team

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Seer Master

New Insteon set up -- adding to my HS mostly all zwave... and elk... should i start with the Hub now that its refined, or use the plug in module?
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Seer Master

I think the hub is the way to go. Since your Insteon set up is new, you can probably weather a few warts as Smarthome works out their kinks.

I have been using mine since I put it in around Chrismtas time for managing my insteon network. It works well. While I look forward to the improvements, its doing its job.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Seer Master

that was kind of what I thought vs installing the powerlinc usb modem... unless it doesnt have the dual band... i would only operate a few things from insteon as i am in good shape with z wave and elk but i really like the kepypad linc controllers and have tried to add via x10 and its not working for me
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Seer Master

Yeh, I think you will find the keypadlinc experience to be perfect under insteon.

The current hub does not have dual band but the new one they are releasing will. If you order right now, you might still get a single band hub.., which they will replace later with a dual band when that version is released.
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Super Seer

Hi Mark,

Just wondering if this is the same device that you are talking about in terms of the network PLM. I am interested in changing my X10 network over eventually to a more reliable technology (improved speed etc) and this seems to be the way to go, however in Australia our options are quite limited to X10, Z-Wave or just recently Insteon.

The device our suppliers are selling is:

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...pro.php?ID=703

Would this be compatible with your plugin?

Regards,

Travis Hale.
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisdh View Post
Hi Mark,

Just wondering if this is the same device that you are talking about in terms of the network PLM. I am interested in changing my X10 network over eventually to a more reliable technology (improved speed etc) and this seems to be the way to go, however in Australia our options are quite limited to X10, Z-Wave or just recently Insteon.

The device our suppliers are selling is:

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...pro.php?ID=703

Would this be compatible with your plugin?

Regards,

Travis Hale.
Yes, this is the same insteon hub that i currently support.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Seer Plus

Travis,

I received and installed a Hub that I ordered from Envious Tech about 4 weeks ago.
I am controling it with this plug in and it appears to be working well with HS2.

I also ordered & just installed one of the Switchlinc 2478D wall switches - which is rated for 240v 60hz. It works fine via powerline signals but not via RF as it is set to use the USA freq rather than AUS.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Seer

Advice Please.

I have a number of Insteon, and still have some X10 devices.. My Thermostat is X10. Most of the Insteon devices are the first iteration and I am now looking to replace 5 of them as they have failed in some way.

So far I have been controlling everything with X10 with some success as some of the devices don't respond anymore to HomeSeer. Currently I am using a x10 Powerlinc to interface with.

In addition to replacing the switches I have decided to upgrade the HomeSeer interface to Insteon with hopes that HomeSeer will now see all the devices and be able to control them.

After reading most of the posts in this thread and some comments on the SmartHome reviews is the Insteon Hub the way to go? Or should I just purchase one of the other supported interfaces?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingBlod View Post
Advice Please.

I have a number of Insteon, and still have some X10 devices.. My Thermostat is X10. Most of the Insteon devices are the first iteration and I am now looking to replace 5 of them as they have failed in some way.

So far I have been controlling everything with X10 with some success as some of the devices don't respond anymore to HomeSeer. Currently I am using a x10 Powerlinc to interface with.

In addition to replacing the switches I have decided to upgrade the HomeSeer interface to Insteon with hopes that HomeSeer will now see all the devices and be able to control them.

After reading most of the posts in this thread and some comments on the SmartHome reviews is the Insteon Hub the way to go? Or should I just purchase one of the other supported interfaces?

The Insteon Hub is a very new controller and is expected to evolve over the next year. There will be a new version out this summer as it stands.

If you want something stable and tested, I would go with a 2413. If you like to be on the cutting edge, the hub is the way to go.

You'll have to see how the control of the x10 tstat goes after you get insteon going.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Advice Please.

I saw you email, but i can't respond; you have email disabled in the forum. No big deal, I prefer to keep these discussions in the forum.

Anyways...the 2412N is not supported. the Hub is basically the next gen smartlinc (2412n) so i wouldn't bother with the 2412n.

please post the link where you saw that the 2412n is supported here, i need to correct that.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Seer

Mark,

Does the plugin only support the Insteon Hub, or does it also support the 2412N. It's not clear to me what the real differences are between the two units other than the price.

Is your plugin available in the updater for this?
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Mark,

Does the plugin only support the Insteon Hub, or does it also support the 2412N. It's not clear to me what the real differences are between the two units other than the price.

Is your plugin available in the updater for this?
No the 2412N isn't supported but the old 2412s and 2412u are. The 2412N is similar to the insteon hub, but its internal workings were never made avail to us developers so I can't support it.

i don't think there is a lot of difference between the 2412N and the Hub, but i wouldn't spend money on the 2412N at this point. The Hub is the future if you want homeseer and a network based insteon controller.

yes, 1.7.3.1 is avail on the updater; there are newer betas avail on the forum. Can't remember if 1.7.3.1 supports the Hub.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Seer

Thanks Mark, I have been a long time HomeSeer user (back when it cost $29.95) but hadn't posted anything in years so had to re-register. But, had problems posting to the thread.

My reference to the 2412N was likely my mis-interpretation of comments in the early part of the thread.

Looks like the hub is the way to go.

Thanks Neil.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Seer Master

The hub swap is underway in the US! i got the email below today and called and got my replacement going. While this episode might have caused a temporary chink in the insteon armor, they came through and lived up to the image of insteon as a product.

Its not about problems themselves, it about commitment and how the problems are dealt with:

April 15, 2013

As you know, a new INSTEON Hub has been undergoing hardware testing to add full dual-band support, enhanced security and improved device communication. In addition, our software team has been making major improvements to the mobile applications including enhanced stability and additional features.
We are happy to announce that after an extensive review process, the new INSTEON Hub has completed testing and we will begin distributing the new Hubs as inventory becomes available.
You may have noticed an update to the mobile application is now available. We encourage you to update your App and start experiencing some of the new features that have been added while you await your new INSTEON Hub.
To receive your new INSTEON Hub, please select from one of the two options listed below:
Option 1:
Receive a new Hub with a different INSTEON ID which will require you to setup your home from scratch.Recommended for customers who have simpler setups and who wish to receive their new Hub as quickly as possible.
Option 2:
Receive a new Hub that is matched to your current Hub’s INSTEON ID. A migration assistant will help you transfer your home’s configuration to the new Hub.

Recommended for customers who have complex setups. Please note that special processing is required to enable the migration assistant and will delay the shipment of your new Hub.
Please contact our customer service team and let us know which option you would like. A fully-refundable deposit will need to be placed before we ship your new INSTEON Hub. When your original Hub is returned within 30 days of shipment, you will receive a refund for your full deposit.

Please call us to order your new Hub
1-800-762-7846
Thank you very much for your continued support of INSTEON.
Sincerely,
The INSTEON Team

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbibm View Post
The hub swap is underway in the US! i got the email below today and called and got my replacement going. While this episode might have caused a temporary chink in the insteon armor, they came through and lived up to the image of insteon as a product.

Its not about problems themselves, it about commitment and how the problems are dealt with:

April 15, 2013

As you know, a new INSTEON Hub has been undergoing hardware testing to add full dual-band support, enhanced security and improved device communication. In addition, our software team has been making major improvements to the mobile applications including enhanced stability and additional features.
We are happy to announce that after an extensive review process, the new INSTEON Hub has completed testing and we will begin distributing the new Hubs as inventory becomes available.
You may have noticed an update to the mobile application is now available. We encourage you to update your App and start experiencing some of the new features that have been added while you await your new INSTEON Hub.
To receive your new INSTEON Hub, please select from one of the two options listed below:

Option 1:

Receive a new Hub with a different INSTEON ID which will require you to setup your home from scratch.Recommended for customers who have simpler setups and who wish to receive their new Hub as quickly as possible.

Option 2:

Receive a new Hub that is matched to your current Hub’s INSTEON ID. A migration assistant will help you transfer your home’s configuration to the new Hub.

Recommended for customers who have complex setups. Please note that special processing is required to enable the migration assistant and will delay the shipment of your new Hub.

Please contact our customer service team and let us know which option you would like. A fully-refundable deposit will need to be placed before we ship your new INSTEON Hub. When your original Hub is returned within 30 days of shipment, you will receive a refund for your full deposit.

Please call us to order your new Hub
1-800-762-7846

Thank you very much for your continued support of INSTEON.
Sincerely,
The INSTEON Team

Just hope this also applies north of the border...
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Seer Master

It will. Yours will be the same power form / model. They are most likely doing it in phases. The note wasn't specific on the other power forms (EU, etc). Keep an eye out for the email.

They also have an option to have your current PLM Insteon address pre-burned into the unit. It takes longer, they couldn't say how much longer. I went with this option at this point as I am working, and will take the enhancements when they get them to me without having to plm swap again.

Paul
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Seer Master

Maybe not?

Here in Canada I deal with Aartech, avoiding the duty & export process. They just told me that only a subset of Insteon hubs would be replaced. Apparently, the initial batch was ok but then they made a minor change that triggered a new problem, which was later corrected.

Your March 6th post seems to contradict what I was told. I fear this may yet be another "different for Canada" situation.

Bottom line is I want those enhancements
- Dual-band communication
- More robust and stable connectivity
- Security enhancements
- Increased powerline signal strength

I'm contacting SmartHome now to see what they have to say.
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Seer Master

I have to give smarthome credit for being loyal to customers that are loyal to their products. I have gotten replacements for things that were bought through a 3rd party before.

I would call Smarthome's 800 number, take the RMA option and tell them that you are getting a replacement hub (don't ask if its ok, don't explain you're in Canada, etc). They might bring up that you bought it through Aartech when they try to look you up, in which case I would say "I was an early adaptor who paid upfront and had the same problems as everyone else." If you make the case assertively but nicely, I believe that they will take care of you. If you get push back then I would say you're not happy with how Aartech is handling it, again you jumped in and paid as an eary adopter and deserve dual band, more power, etc.

Its worth a try, all they can do is say no.

Look at the email in my early post and be ready for what option you want, I went with the longer time option 2 that gives me my current Hub insteon id so it will be pretty much plug and chug. I might have to reprogram the devices I added direclty to the hub (not homeseer). Not sure if "the cloud" will bring those back.