Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIMCOM WCDMA modem SIM5216E

Hi Folks

I've purchased a new modem here in Australia due to the 2G network being shutdown. I had been using $15 specials that were used with Arduinos however they were 2G only. I've looked around for a 4G modem and they seem to be a little expensive hence I've purchased a 3G modem instead and have had considerable success with it.

From Aliexpress:

Factory SIMCOM WCDMA 3g SIM5216E modem Gsm USB RS232 Modem Wavecom GSM GPRS Modem By Antecheng

This unit has both a serial and USB port. When using via USB it loads in 3 drivers ie: NMEA, AT and diagnostic. It creates 3 serial ports and of course you connect to the "AT" serial port. Default speed is 9600baud.

Only initial issue I had was that it wasnt logging onto the cellular network due to poor signal strength, the plugin restarted itself when I tried to send out a message. After a little debugging ie: using AT command set I found it wasnt registered so moving the antenna, the red light on the modem began to blink...

I've had it running for 24 hours via USB and its fine. A week of testing will confirm that its all good....

Good luck to the adventurous !!
    HS 2.2.0.11

Pete thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure that NMEA device is for assisted GPS. Got me thinking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Gavin, yes it would be for GPS. YOu can purchase similar devices with GPS devices inbuilt also, they were a few more $$$.

Must say mate I am VERY pleased with the new modem. AS mentioned the only issue I had was when it wasnt registered to the carrier, when I tried to send out a message the plugin would barf and fail with "tried 3 times to talk to modem and failed"...

Not sure if you do any error checking in the plugin to see if the device is online first before it tries to send out an SMS ???? I could do this in an event easily but just curious...

Anyway, works like a ripper mate, thankyou !!! I've set it up so I can SMS my complex's front sliding gate and my front door to open :-) The wiegand card reader failed on the weekend before I got the modem working, it overheated due to 45c and direct sunlight and we nearly got totally locked out of the apartment. If I had the modem connected I could have gotten in via SMS !!

Without the SMS plugin I wouldnt be playing with Homeseer.....

CHeers..Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Pete I only check if the device is connected via RS232, not whether we have a carrier signal or not. That's a good idea though, I'll add that to the feature list for the next release.
        Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
          Pete I only check if the device is connected via RS232, not whether we have a carrier signal or not. That's a good idea though, I'll add that to the feature list for the next release.
          Checking carrier signal would be awesome....

Must say, the modem works perfect....Kinda cool to SMS the front gate and doors to open as I get there.....
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
          X