www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old January 7th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Seer Master

KeypadLinc and Detach Load

Hi,

I have a few KeypadLincs that do not attach to any load. I cap off the red wire. I grew curious of the 'Detach Load' option in the Insteon device config page. I enabled it on one of my keypads and observed the additional 'Load' device added. I still have a few questions.

Although I'm not using the load wire for anything now, I could not find a way to control the newly added 'Load' device. How does one do that?

Is there any benefit toward the longevity of the device by using the 'Detach Load' option if I do not need to use the load controlling capability of the keypad? The keypads that do not connect to loads are all dimmers, so I wouldn't hear the relay click of the on/off variety. Is the triac doing any work without a load?

Thanks!
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Insteon Overlord

the additional 'Load' device should give you the ability to control a connected load using the on and off buttons?

post a screen shot of all the hs devices associated with the kpl if this is not the case.

i don't think there is any benefit of using this feature especially if you don't have a load connected. you might check the smarthome forum.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Seer Master

Here's a screenshot. I don't have any on/off buttons. Since it's a dimmer, should I have the slider too? And should my original on/off button still have the slider control?
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Seer Master

Ha! I misspelled keypad.
Old January 8th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrceolla View Post
Here's a screenshot. I don't have any on/off buttons. Since it's a dimmer, should I have the slider too? And should my original on/off button still have the slider control?
I need to add the on/off/slider to the Load device. the original device will keep its controls as it can be linked to other devices and still control them
Old January 17th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Seer

I am using the detached load to power a light that is NOT controlled by the keypadlinc. It works great, except that I do not have the ability to control dim level or ramp speed, it is only giving me ON/OFF controls to use. The dim function DOES work if I use the remote switch press and hold to dim, so I know the dimmer function of the KPL does work. Did I do something wrong in my setting up the KPL, or is this a plugin issue?
Attached Screenshot shows my concern.
Attached Images

Old January 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Insteon Overlord

i'll have to work on this feature more. i think you are the first to give it a try
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
i should have a fix for this in the next beta 3.0.6.28
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuck2002 View Post
I am using the detached load to power a light that is NOT controlled by the keypadlinc. It works great, except that I do not have the ability to control dim level or ramp speed, it is only giving me ON/OFF controls to use. The dim function DOES work if I use the remote switch press and hold to dim, so I know the dimmer function of the KPL does work. Did I do something wrong in my setting up the KPL, or is this a plugin issue?
Attached Screenshot shows my concern.
Old January 25th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
Excellent news! Thank you!
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Insteon Overlord

.28 posted.

please test your device status polling as well (did some code clean up)
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Seer

I love the idea of these keypadlinc's.

How bad of an idea is it to try to use them if I have zero Insteon stuff. I'm 98% z-wave as it stands now.

Or is this completely reasonable and common with Homeseer users?
Old January 25th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I love the idea of these keypadlinc's.

How bad of an idea is it to try to use them if I have zero Insteon stuff. I'm 98% z-wave as it stands now.

Or is this completely reasonable and common with Homeseer users?
you can use any insteon switch/kpl as a standalone switch without automation. you can even link them manually so kpl btns can control other insteon devices.

i have seen several zwave users implement insteon in their homeseer setup just to get access to KPLs. Controlling ceiling fans with a kpl and a fanlinc seems to be very popular.
Old January 26th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
you can use any insteon switch/kpl as a standalone switch without automation. you can even link them manually so kpl btns can control other insteon devices.

i have seen several zwave users implement insteon in their homeseer setup just to get access to KPLs. Controlling ceiling fans with a kpl and a fanlinc seems to be very popular.
Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. Good to know I'm not completely crazy, or at least have lots of company in the looney bin.
Old March 28th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Seer Master

Thank you for your work on this. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet to test the additions since I didn't particularly have a use for them at the time. I hope to soon though, but a couple questions first.

I have 1 8 button on/off keypad, with firmware version 41. This does not show a detach load option. I assume it is a 2487S but I'm not certain.

I have 2 8 button dimmer keypads with firmware versions 43 and 45. These do have the detach load options.

I'd like to install another 8 button switch but have the upper right button control the load, instead of the upper left.

Questions:

1) Smarthome only sells a 6-button on/off keypad now. I don't recall if my previous purchase was a 8-button from the store, or if I converted it to an 8-button. Does anyone know if their current 6-button on/off keypad can still be converted to an 8-button?

2) Can I assume the newer on/off keypad models also support "Detach Load" like my two newer dimmers do? Does the plugin support that feature on the on/off keypads?

20% off sale is on now at Smarthome! I'm filling my cart.
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Thank you for your work on this. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet to test the additions since I didn't particularly have a use for them at the time. I hope to soon though, but a couple questions first.

I have 1 8 button on/off keypad, with firmware version 41. This does not show a detach load option. I assume it is a 2487S but I'm not certain.

I have 2 8 button dimmer keypads with firmware versions 43 and 45. These do have the detach load options.

I'd like to install another 8 button switch but have the upper right button control the load, instead of the upper left.

Questions:

1) Smarthome only sells a 6-button on/off keypad now. I don't recall if my previous purchase was a 8-button from the store, or if I converted it to an 8-button. Does anyone know if their current 6-button on/off keypad can still be converted to an 8-button?

2) Can I assume the newer on/off keypad models also support "Detach Load" like my two newer dimmers do? Does the plugin support that feature on the on/off keypads?

20% off sale is on now at Smarthome! I'm filling my cart.
1. you should be able to convert the 6-btn to 8-btn. do this before registering with the plugin. see the manual for converting.

2. all newer firmwares support Detach Load
Old March 29th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Seer Master

Excellent! Thank you very much.

I did look at the manual for the 6-button on/off keypad before I posted, but I couldn't locate where it showed how to convert to 8-button. I know I've done it with dimmers in the past so hopefully it's the same and I can find that info in the dimmer manual.