www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hub Stopped Responding Events

Every so often (not frequently) I will come home to a dark house. It always is because the Insteon plugin cannot communicate with the hub. I can almost always correct this almost immediately by disabling and re-enabling the Insteon plugin. In this case, i can see from the log that the problem started around 7:15am. I successfully reset the plugin and re-established communications with the hub at 5:20 pm. So whatever was going on with the hub, it had plenty of time to reset itself or timeout or whatever.

I can see that the plugin tried to restart the interface 8 times at a 15 seconds interval, and then gave up. Is this perhaps not long enough for the hub to recover? Should it try longer?

My next question is how can I detect and fix this situation with events?
First off, I'd like to be notified when it happens. I noticed that there's an Insteon special trigger for "Interface Stops Responding" I just wanted to confirm that this is what will trigger when the plugin stops communicating with the hub. How is this different from "Interface crashes"

I also see that there are Insteon actions for enable and disable interface. do these correspond with the same actions that the plugin does on it's own?
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Insteon Overlord

please shutdown the plugin and add the following to the insteon.ini

Quote:
[hub]
GetXMLBufferInterval=2000
the default is 1000 msecs

"Interface Stops Responding" will fire when the plugin has trouble communicating with the hub. and then starts the reconnect cycle you see.

"interface crashes" will fire when the plugin gives up on the interface

the insteon actions are for restarting the plugin and comm with the interface

please try the ini change by itself first.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Seer Deluxe

This is an educated guess, but is that parameter the polling interval between the plugin and the hub? So changing it to 2000ms would mean that it could be up to two seconds from a button press to homeseer knowing about it?

This feels like a steep price to pay to solve a problem that happens so infrequently. Is this setting change based on your experience that the hub won't always respond correctly with polls that frequent?
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Insteon Overlord

yes its the polling frequency. you can try 1500 if you like

others that have increased the default value do get better results.

i think one of the recent hub updates is causing this but i'm only guessing. if you check the forum you will see others having similar problems.

unfortunately there is no other way around this.
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Seer Deluxe

I don't think it's a recent software update. My hub hasn't seen the internet since the day i installed it and it's been here for a few years now.

I guess I'll give this change it a try and see if the slower response bothers me as much as i think it will. But I think I'd prefer setting up events to detect and correct when the failure happens. It's really only once every 3-4 months.
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Insteon Overlord

if it wasn't a hub update, then can you try some networking changes:

different cables, a different port on your hub or switch, or a different hub or switch
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

It could be a power issue. I forget how long it takes the hub to reboot. It could be longer than 2 minutes. It's the only thing I've got in that area that isn't on a UPS. The rest of the equipment would have stayed up if there was a brief power fluctuation. Of all the moving parts here, the power is the least reliable.
I suppose i could provision another port on the switch and try that. Cables generally don't just go bad, typically they either work or they don't. But i could try that.
Old January 18th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Seer Deluxe

Are your USB ports set to enable power down to save power (that's the default)? If so, the PC can shut down the usb port when there is a long period of inactivity, which renders it inoperative when you need it. I have set my usb ports to disable that function and it resolved a number of different failures.
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
It could be a power issue. I forget how long it takes the hub to reboot. It could be longer than 2 minutes. It's the only thing I've got in that area that isn't on a UPS. The rest of the equipment would have stayed up if there was a brief power fluctuation. Of all the moving parts here, the power is the least reliable.
I suppose i could provision another port on the switch and try that. Cables generally don't just go bad, typically they either work or they don't. But i could try that.
please report back if any of your changes resolves your problem
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
please report back if any of your changes resolves your problem

I’ll let you know. But like I said. It only happens a few times a year. So I’m sure it will be a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread