This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reconsider Slink-E support

Early last year I bought a Slink-E, from Nirvis, specifically because it was supported in HS and there was a lively discussion group to provide ad hoc support. Then I discovered that there are Yahoo Groups involved in Nirvis products. I purchased a second Sony changer to handle more than 300 CDs, and use the old CDJ and Now Playing code. I also use the IR functions in the Slink-E to control A/V in the house and from the Media Center. It NEVER ocurred to me that the Slink-E functinality would be dropped by HS. I understand culling "dead" products, but the Slink-E is hardly dead.

I'd really like HS to support continued use of Slink-E in HS 2.0, even if that means you take over a plug-in written by a user. We look to HS to provide continuity and increased funtionality, not shrinking features. Please re-consider your investment in the Slink-E and find a way to provide a seamless transition for those of us who followed your leadership and invested in a product explicitly endorsed by you.

Michael

Comment

Don't forget to submit your input to the Slink-e poll.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=102652

John
      John

Comment

I posted a response in another thread that the Slink-e WILL be supported in HS2. So consider this a closed issue.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am currently evaluating HS 1.7. If i buy it now, will I be forced to pay for the upcoming HS2.0 that is due out any time now, or should I just wait for it?

Comment

Yes, you will. BUT, las tI heard is that the cost of 2.0 is going to be the same as buying 1.7, then buying the upgrade. So it doesnt really matter which route you go.

Comment

That is correct, you end up paying the same amount either way.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sheesh.. no posts for about a month.. How is HS2 coming along and any ETA?

Comment

Busy as a beaver testing - it is going quite well. We kept with the closed beta testing a little longer as we had some complex issues to resolve, but it has run my configuration (550 events, ~450 devices) nonstop for a few days now, so that is good.

We had to change some internal structures due to the multi-threaded nature of HomeSeer 2 and that is making us re-test and adjust some plug-ins.

I don't know if people will take this as good news or bad news, but HS 2 on the same machine as my HS 1.7 install is so much faster now that I actually get condition based executing several times in one minute. I never had to use the "do not retrigger for xxx seconds" feature under 1.7 but now on some events I need to.

Because the internal event structure has changed, we have to create some new script commands for working with events as the old way does not work any longer. This is critical as packages such as HSTV that creates events from a script are broken until we get this resolved. This is an area where there is really no good way to keep things backward compatible, but we are thinking hard trying to figure out a way to make it work.

So anyway, sorry for the lapse in communication but it is going very well, just taking longer than we anticipated.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks for the update Tink. You keep crushing bugs as the more you kill now the fewer we have to deal with later
                    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker

I don't know if people will take this as good news or bad news, but HS 2 on the same machine as my HS 1.7 install is so much faster now that I actually get condition based executing several times in one minute. I never had to use the "do not retrigger for xxx seconds" feature under 1.7 but now on some events I need to.
                      Tink, was this an old machine or a newer box? Been saving my pennies for an HS 2 box. Think HS 2 is going to run well on older hardware?

bt

Comment

bt,

I purposely used an old Dell 600mz (yes 600) with only 512M ram on XP1 so I could test any performance issues with HS2. Other than sometimes the voice getting a little broken up when other things are happening, HS2 runs just fine on that level (probably smaller than most anyone would consider putting it on) of CPU.

Comment

This is an older box - I have a newer one ready for me to replace it with at some point (actually my son is anxiously awaiting the transfer since he is getting the old HomeSeer machine). It is an 800MHz PIII with ~half a Gig of RAM...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                          Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
                          OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                          System Manufacturer SOYO__
                          System Model AWRDACPI
                          System Type X86-based PC
                          Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~802 Mhz
                          BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG, 7/11/2000
                          SMBIOS Version 2.2
                          Total Physical Memory 640.00 MB
                          Available Physical Memory 220.90 MB
                          Regards,

Comment

800 mhz p3!!!! I'm sorry son, but I'm going to have to give you a ticket for driving under the speed limit!!!! (no wonder my webcam pluggin motion detector goes from all to nothing )
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Are we getting any closer -- last word from Tink was over 3 weeks ago and he made it sound like we were home free.

Comment

Yes, much closer. We did find a couple of other things that we had to take care of, but the biggest cause of delay right now is that we decided we could not release it to the general public for beta testing without an updater. The updater has to be completely rewritten for HS2, so we are taking care of that.

There is a ton of cosmetic things we are going to be doing before release and some more features to add, but that won't hold it up from being released to anybody who wants to beta test it - it will be the completion of the new updater that will make that happen. We are almost done with an update to the help files too, which is something else that is needed for testing.

My configuration has been the acid test for this with 435 devices and 648 events, and since Thursday night when I restarted it to get something new I wanted in the code, it has been running here without any new problems. Including the time I was running before Thursday night sans problems, I have 2 maybe 3 days of problem free operation, and I plan on letting it go all this weekend too.

That is not to say that there are no issues - for example, our changes to the way events are structured internally means that scripts and plug-ins that create events (such as HSTV) do not work right until the authors make changes, but in my system that (HSTV) might be the only thing that is not working 100% (other features of it work fine).

The interfaces/plug-ins I am using include:
                                • SeerAMP
                                • iAutomate RFID
                                • TouchPad
                                • Z-Wave
                                • MLHSPlugin (not tested thoroughly)
                                • Media Center
                                • Global Cache GC100 (only IR tested)
                                • DooMenuBar
                                • HAI System
                                • UltraLog
                                • Applied Digital Ocelot
                                • SpeakEasy
                                • HAI RC Thermostat
                                • ROC Randomizer
                                • Davis (Davis Weatherstation home-grown plug-in)
                                • W800 RF 32Bit Controller (Basic) -- This is the original one, I never upgraded.
                                • PowerLinc USB
                                • HSTV
                                • WeatherXML
                                • CNN Alerts
                                • mcsMovies
                                • myRSS (RSS Feeds)
                                • tcRecipies
                                • Comics
                                Regards,

Comment

Working...