Help - After Computer Reboot - All HomeSeer Device Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - After Computer Reboot - All HomeSeer Device Gone

I woke up this morning and my HS3 server was locked.

I hard rebooted it, and when it restarted, HomeSeer shows none of my devices from any plugins.
    • All my events exists.
    • Counters exist (native to HS)
    • No other devices existed.

First confirm that your settings.ini file in the Config folder is the current one and not a default one. If it is, looks like you'll need to restore the database file. By default these are in the root of the the Data folder. HS automatically creates backups so look at the dates of those files to see which one you want to restore to. If there's nothing recent, then it's best to grab one from a backup.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Sadly, I was only able to restore from a HSD database 2 weeks ago. Not all gone, but probably 100+ hours to reconvert from Vera to HomeSeer.

Looks like Vera had a much better restore/backup system (daily backups).

It looks like any dirty shutdown may leave HS3 unusable...and that is so very not cool on any "database".

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I use the BLBackup Plugin... it's free. I am doing a nightly backup to a separate network share. Highly recommend the plugin. It has saved me a couple times, but I also play a lot in beta land for HS Software.

Comment

Originally posted by AgileHumor View Post
          Sadly, I was only able to restore from a HSD database 2 weeks ago. Not all gone, but probably 100+ hours to reconvert from Vera to HomeSeer.

Looks like Vera had a much better restore/backup system (daily backups).

It looks like any dirty shutdown may leave HS3 unusable...and that is so very not cool on any "database".

Thanks for the tip!
          I've had quite a few "dirty" shut-down due to a driver issue on my PC that runs HS3 and I've only lost devices/events once. Use BLBackup to schedule daily backups.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by AgileHumor View Post
            I assume you tried the more recent backups that HS created over the last two weeks and none of them were usable. If that is correct, then it would seem that the database problem occurred some time ago, but only caused a problem after a hard reboot.

I recall someone else reporting a problem similar to that a while ago. I have no idea if the two are related, but it does suggest that the situation you encountered might be more complicated than a database backup protocol would resolve. The good news is that it is rare; most of us haven't seen it. The bad news is that it is rare; the cause will be very difficult to track down.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Ok, this is what I did.
              1. Found the early database that loaded from 2 weeks ago.
              2. Opened the corrupted database in SQLLiteBrowser. Here, all devices we're missing, but the events table was good. Exported events table as SQL database. Luckily my devices have not changed.
              3. Opened a copy of the working database.
              4. Had to edit the top and bottom lines out (or get an error message on transaction within transaction.
              5. Had to search and replace "group" in the SQL file as "group" is a protected column name in SQLLiteBrowser. I used the name "testtest"
              6. Import in database
              7. Rename column "testtest" to "group.

Loaded configuration. No errors in log, all events working

BTW, is there any documentation on what directories are to be backed up in HomeSeer for a "portable" restore (on any PC).
              Last edited by AgileHumor; April 20, 2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X