www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Energy Management Plug-ins > Energy Management Discussion > APCUPSD Plugin (3P)

APCUPSD Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the APCUPSD UPS monitoring plugin.

Old January 6th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Seer

Support for networkupstools?

Is there any chance that this plugin could be extended to connect to a nut (network ups tools) server? I have several Eaton Powerware UPS's and I would like to monitor them with HS3.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Super Seer

I will have to look at it. Actually looked at it a bit way back but did not write any code. From what I recall, nut does not send all the information apcupsd is sending
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
I will have to look at it. Actually looked at it a bit way back but did not write any code. From what I recall, nut does not send all the information apcupsd is sending
Well, at least the important stuff like load, output current, input voltage, online status and so on is sent by nut. That would be enough for me. If you integrate nut support you would gain at least one more customer .
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Super Seer

My NAS uses NUT well... Gives me additional incentives to look at this at some point
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM
jowens14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
Well, at least the important stuff like load, output current, input voltage, online status and so on is sent by nut. That would be enough for me. If you integrate nut support you would gain at least one more customer .
Make that 2.
My nas and Xenservers use nut also.
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Super Seer

I posted an updated version of the plug-in (V3.1) with support for NUT. Give it a try if still interested.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:54 PM
Seer

Quote:
I posted an updated version of the plug-in (V3.1) with support for NUT. Give it a try if still interested.
I'm definitely interested but it doesn't work on my Linux HS3. All I get is:

Code:
Plugin: APCUPSD Instance:  starting...
Connecting to server at 127.0.0.1...
Disconnected from server - client
Cannot connect(2): Object reference not set to an instance of an object
and in the HS3 log I see:

Code:
03:49:19:8728:[Error]->Cannot load plugin APCUPSD, no license or trial expired
03:49:19:8739:[Info]->Plugin APCUPSD has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:58276
Error sending over stream: Write failure
BTW, I'm getting the same behavior with other plugins if I try to run them either locally on the Linux HS3 or remotely on a Windows box and connecting to the Linux box. For instance, I tried that with the Harmony Hub plugin and the Airplayspeak plugin and they all show that "no license or trial expired" in the log as soon as they connect. I don't even get a chance to put in my license code. To me it looks like some generic incompatibility between the Windows and Linux licensing. But, I have two plugins running on HS3 Linux which require a license and they work properly, so there must be a way to make licensed plugins work on Linux.
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Super Seer

I have never tried and tested the plugin with HS3 On Linux, nor even tried HS3 on Linux. So no the plugin has not been developed to work on Linux, but I assume running it on Windows and connecting it to an HS3 running on Linux should work but do not have any experience with this. Have you posted in the HS3 forum as well to check if there is any issue?
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Super Seer

The apcupsd does require a license or trial period to run, maybe they expired.
Old April 5th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Seer

Quote:
The apcupsd does require a license or trial period to run, maybe they expired.
It was the first time I ever installed or started the plugin, so the trial period shouldn't be expired. I suspect some incompatibility between Windows and Linux licensing code because I can see the same behavior with at least 2 other plugins. And for these 2 other plugins I have a valid license installed on the Windows side.

I'm not sure where to ask about that on the forum. HST obviously won't fix the issue because it are 3rd party plugins. But I also have 2 3rd party plugins which require a license running fine on Linux, RFXCOM and iTunes DAAP.
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Seer

I think I found a clue in the following thread http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...ight=licensing

Apparently, HS3 needs a copy of the plugin on the Linux side. Now, if I provide that with the apcupsd plugin it doesn't work because Linux is case-sensitive. I have to rename it or link it to the name HSPI_apcupsd.exe instead of hspi_apcupsd.exe, otherwise it's not recognized at all. But now, HS3 complains:

Code:
03:01:06:3106:[Error]->Error, Class not found in plugin EXE, maybe namespace is not correct,? Note filename is case sensitive!: HSPI_apcupsd.exe Class: HSPI_apcupsd.HSPI->
I hope that gives you some idea of what is wrong with your plugin.
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:55 PM
jowens14

Just installed this plugin on HS3 Linux. Getting the same error as above.

Code:
02:46:32:7143:[Error]->Error, Class not found in plugin EXE, maybe namespace is not correct,? Note filename is case sensitive!: HSPI_apcupsd.exe Class: HSPI_apcupsd.HSPI->
02:47:08:4682:[Warning]->Plug-in apcupsd is set to load but was not found, removing from settings.
02:47:08:4720:[Error]->(1) Unable to initialize interface apcupsd :Either no license or trial has expired
02:47:08:4724:[Plug-In]->Finished initializing plug-in apcupsd
Kind of suprised it's in the updater when it won't run at all.
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens14 View Post
Just installed this plugin on HS3 Linux. Getting the same error as above.

Code:
02:46:32:7143:[Error]->Error, Class not found in plugin EXE, maybe namespace is not correct,? Note filename is case sensitive!: HSPI_apcupsd.exe Class: HSPI_apcupsd.HSPI->
02:47:08:4682:[Warning]->Plug-in apcupsd is set to load but was not found, removing from settings.
02:47:08:4720:[Error]->(1) Unable to initialize interface apcupsd :Either no license or trial has expired
02:47:08:4724:[Plug-In]->Finished initializing plug-in apcupsd
Kind of suprised it's in the updater when it won't run at all.
Works fine on Windows! Linux is not supported, never tested it with Linux and only supported on Windows.
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Super Seer

If your intend is to run the plugin on Windows and HS3 on Linux, there appears to be an issue in HS3 as described in http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...ight=licensing ; you might want to open or update a bugzilla to see if HS can fix it.
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM
jowens14

Quote:
If your intend is to run the plugin on Windows and HS3 on Linux, there appears to be an issue in HS3 as described in http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...ight=licensing ; you might want to open or update a bugzilla to see if HS can fix it.
No windows involved here. Everything is running on linux.

I guess this would be a question for the HS team, but why is the plugin in the HS3 Linux updater if its not tested and not working?
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Super Seer

Must be that on the updater they configured HS for Windows and Linux. I sent them a request to add a beta version to the updater and pointed out that it is Windows only.
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Hi Philippe

I have the plugin (trial) up and running and successfully operating with my APC UPS on my HS3 box. I also want to slave my Synology NAS (which I believe uses NUT behind the scenes) to the HS machine and bring that into HS3 also.

I spent a couple of hours trying to get NUT configured in a manner that would allow the Syno to connect as a slave to the NUT server on the HS3 box. I ended up mightily confused - editing about 8 different NUT config files - which seemed to me to have conflicting parameters and terminology in them.

Do you have any pointers (or even example NUT config files) where you have the NUT server on the HS3 machine and the NUT client being a NAS or similar?

Cheers
James
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Super Seer

I do not have examples of NUT configuration files. My ReadyNAS supports NUT and on the plugin side just configure the mode (NU versus APCUPSD), the server and port. I did not make any NUT configurations or setup. Maybe others in the forum have a Synology NAS and can provide pointers.
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
I do not have examples of NUT configuration files. My ReadyNAS supports NUT and on the plugin side just configure the mode (NU versus APCUPSD), the server and port. I did not make any NUT configurations or setup. Maybe others in the forum have a Synology NAS and can provide pointers.

Ok. Perhaps I misunderstood then. I thought I had to configure NUT on my HS3 server then have the NAS communicate to it. Sounds like that's not necessary and the Plugin handles that directly. Will give that a whirl. Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Super Seer

Well I couldn't get it working this way, but I was able to turn the config around and get this working.

I now have the NAS cabled to the UPS. The NAS does its own thing with shutting down based on the state of the UPS. The NAS also acts as a NUT server and the plugin on the HS3 box now communicates as a client with the NAS. I have uninstalled both the apcupsd and NUT services on the HS3 machine as these are not required with this configuration. I don't get quite the same level of detail with this config, but at least I have both the NAS and HS3 box cleanly shutting down