Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Speaker client connect problem - Fixed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Speaker client connect problem - Fixed!

I have a laptop running Vista and a Homeseer host running WinXP. I'm trying to get the speaker client on the laptop to connect across my local network to HomeSeer running on the Xp box. I get the following error message on the Speaker client window on my laptop:

12/26/2011 5:45:41 PM:Error attempting to connect to server, please check your connection options:
    Can not connect to the remote host "gtcp://192,168.0.6:8742". System error message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

I have disabled firewalls on both machines. I can PING the Xp box from my laptop with no problem. There is also no log info generated on the main HS log window.

Is a PORT related problem on the Homeseer Xp box? Do I need to enable remote speaker access somewhere?

Thanks,

Did you type the ipaddress incorrectly?
    192,168.0.6:8742 Note the comma.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

no sounds from speakers

Nice Pickup!

I connect now...Thank You

Alias, all appears to to be normal except no sound from the speakers, even with Speaker Client in local mode.

The TTS appears in the System log, it appears in the Speaker log and it appears in the tray bubble. The volume is up, I can play MP3's without problem. My laptop speakers are the selected playback device.

Am I missing something in Setup? I'm running an eval copy of HSPRO on my laptop which is Vista. I've also disabled "account control" in Vista which can cause problems. My WinXP box works just fine.

Comment

PS to no sound from speakers

I also have Audio Active selected in the Speaker client window. Also in the sound Mixer, the Speaker and Windows sliders emit a "ding" when clicked but the HomeSeer slider does not "ding" when clicked.

I love to hate Vista but hopefully something simple

Comment

Does the operating systems text to speech work via the speech control panel applet?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Does the operating systems text to speech work via the speech control panel applet?
            Yes, text to speech is good thru the OS. I tested it in the applet and I use Natural Reader 7 as a text-to-speech reader and it is working.

Comment

Originally posted by ATEngineer View Post
              Yes, text to speech is good thru the OS. I tested it in the applet and I use Natural Reader 7 as a text-to-speech reader and it is working.
              What voice do you have selected in the speaker app. It has to be a SAPI compliant voice.

Comment

I switched to Microsoft Anna voice and things began to work albeit at 1/2 the normal volume. I switched back to VWPaul the voice I use for "reading" and it stopped working. Switched back to Anna and again it worked but at 1/2 voice.

Shutdown and went to lunch

Returned from lunch, restarted HSPRO and Anna was at normal volume.

Switched back to VWPaul and it now works just fine but I appear to need to restart HSRPO for the changed vocie to take effect.

Now Paul and Anna both work and with normal volume

I have no idea what changed? Some conbination of switching voices and restarting HSPRO...or whatever

All is well for now!?!?

Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                X