GE/Jasco Zwave Plus Toggle Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE/Jasco Zwave Plus Toggle Switches

Ok so before I get into that.. I see people mentioning a GE fan switch...
    can someone give me an example? I know it is a paddle style but I'm curious on what makes it a fan switch...

ok so I have been busy (college and work since January) and haven't had time to really take the break to read up here... wife is griping on some of the lights staying on, etc... I did install 5x ge toggle zwave switches and 3 auxiliary switches to get 3 way going and all of that works great.

so who has these? and what controller are you using? I have a z-troller so I know I will need a zwave plus controller...
    14292 - on/off
    14295 - dimmable
    • so I'm seeing instant status as added to the plus models... I have a need for that at a few places so this will get interesting.
    • led? its missing in the non plus models

should be good to get rolling....

************edited

so I'm seeing z-net can replace my z-troller and work with regular zwave (non plus) models???

Supports Z-Wave Plus (and older) Products
    Last edited by TeleFragger; July 21, 2017, 06:28 AM.
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Hi Jeff!
    To be honest, I would look at the HomeSeer switches and dimmers instead of the GE - unless you can find a better deal, the HS switches are pretty good.

I cant comment on the fan switch. During the summer, our fans stay on all the time!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      Hi Jeff!
      To be honest, I would look at the HomeSeer switches and dimmers instead of the GE - unless you can find a better deal, the HS switches are pretty good.

I cant comment on the fan switch. During the summer, our fans stay on all the time!

SUP rmasonjr - long time no chat!!! HAH..

umm lets revisit that... HS Switches got the bling.. but they lack one feature my wife REQUIRES!!!!!

"Toggle" not decora... Decora = NOT ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE!

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
        SUP rmasonjr - long time no chat!!! HAH..

umm lets revisit that... HS Switches got the bling.. but they lack one feature my wife REQUIRES!!!!!

"Toggle" not decora... Decora = NOT ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE!
        Ahhhh... Yeah, that is a problem
        Or you could just replace them all while she is out and tell her they cant be changed!
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Ahhhh... Yeah, that is a problem
          Or you could just replace them all while she is out and tell her they cant be changed!
          where is that like button... LOL

Comment

where is that like button... LOL
            You do know that the GE toggles sit in the middle like a decora and they don't actually toggle up and down like a normal toggle right? I guess she just want to see something sticking out like a toggle?

The toggle switch in z-wave plus (which I havent used) is a GE# 14292 for the on/off and GE# 14295 for the dimmer. It is cheaper then homeseer but lacks the extra features and being firmware updateable.

More info here.

https://byjasco.com/products/categor...ome-automation

Now on the fan switch. If you only looking for on/off a standard on/off relay switch will work. If you looking to control speeds you can't just use a dimmer as it will over heat the switch and the fan motor. This is due to the fan fan dimmers work vs. the way standard dimmers work buy lowering the voltage.

It's all over my head on the technical terms (TRIAC or VFD) but maybe makes sense to you.

http://www.fancollectors.org/info/speed.htm

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
              You do know that the GE toggles sit in the middle like a decora and they don't actually toggle up and down like a normal toggle right? I guess she just want to see something sticking out like a toggle?

The toggle switch in z-wave plus (which I havent used) is a GE# 14292 for the on/off and GE# 14295 for the dimmer. It is cheaper then homeseer but lacks the extra features and being firmware updateable.

More info here.

https://byjasco.com/products/categor...ome-automation

Now on the fan switch. If you only looking for on/off a standard on/off relay switch will work. If you looking to control speeds you can't just use a dimmer as it will over heat the switch and the fan motor. This is due to the fan fan dimmers work vs. the way standard dimmers work buy lowering the voltage.

It's all over my head on the technical terms (TRIAC or VFD) but maybe makes sense to you.

http://www.fancollectors.org/info/speed.htm

thanks for the info and yes I do know how they work..

I have 14 X10 Togglelinc 23890w switches now. they sit in the middle, support instant status, rocker is a normal thick switch type...

I also have the intermatic ha20c which are the same.. sit in the middle...

I also have GE/Jasco zwave switches (non plus)
              6 - dimmers
              3 - auxillary
              1 - relay (on/off)

now the note on the ...
              If you looking to control speeds you can't just use a dimmer as it will over heat the switch and the fan motor....

yes you can... maybe not recommended but I am using a Jasco right now in the powder room and wife/kids love that they can dim it down to the fan being off... and it remembers last setting. it has been there for a year now... and no issues...

oh and if you want to see what the old x10 ones look like.. here..
              https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177364

Comment

yes you can... maybe not recommended but I am using a Jasco right now in the powder room and wife/kids love that they can dim it down to the fan being off... and it remembers last setting. it has been there for a year now... and no issues...
                Don't shoot the messenger! You asked and I told you.

Not only is it against code but it's also unsafe to use a standard dimmer on a fan. I don't think anyone else on this board would tell you to do that, but ofcourse its your decision not ours.

Comment

Not only is it against code but it's also unsafe to use a standard dimmer on a fan. I don't think anyone else on this board would tell you to do that, but ofcourse its your decision not ours.
                  Hah.. wasn't shooting the messenger bud..
                  well I didn't know that so while it CAN work... and has for a year..
                  ill unplug the fan when I get home..

thx for the info!

Comment

The offering at my local Lowe's does have only plus switches as well as the toggle style. Though the price is comparable to HS's switches considering the extra functionality

Comment

In regards the GE Fan controller, I have a couple. They do work and have 3 speeds. They look like a dimmer to Z-Wave so you can set them to 1 % for low, 55% for med and 100% for full. (I might be off on the %). So from HS you can create events to set the speeds.

However, the WAF on these is very low. Since they work like a dimmer, its just about impossible to set the speeds at the switch since you cannot tell what speed you are setting it too. You can fiddle with the paddle and maybe get a different speed.

But if you are controlling with HS, they do work. I have 4 buttons on my HSTouch screens so its easy to set a specific speed.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It really boils down to the way the dimming is done. There is nothing that says a dimmer can't act as a speed control as long as it's designed correctly. That said, generally dimmers won't control a motor correctly.

I just talked to Jasco and they say all of their Z-Wave Plus devices, including the fan controller, have Instant Status. Since I need a fan controller I'll check this out to see if they gave the correct information.
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                          I just talked to Jasco and they say all of their Z-Wave Plus devices, including the fan controller, have Instant Status. Since I need a fan controller I'll check this out to see if they gave the correct information.
                          this is why I'm going to get a z-net and start replacing (adding new zwave plus switches first where instant status is needed) my old but new switches

Comment

For most places I'm sticking with HomeSeer HS-WD100's dimmers but for those few places I just need a switch I'll likely use the GE/Jasco's.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                              Since I need a fan controller I'll check this out to see if they gave the correct information.
                              FWIW, we are working on our own 4-speed fan controller and hope to be able to talk about it (formally) in a couple months. Our target for release is Q1 2018. If you can wait, that might be your best option. If you can't wait, the GE unit works for most folks.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                              X