Amazon Echo dot setup for Canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo dot setup for Canadians

Ok, just got my dot and can't even get to first base.
    The android app isn't available from the default site because I'm in Canada, so I had to search for it.

Found the apk Amazon Alexa 1.0.201.2-prod_8471410, installed on my GS6, plugged in the dot, got the orange ring circulating and head the message to follow the instructions on the Alexa app. Opened app and tried to configure wifi (begin setup). Selected Echo, select English US dot then I just get to a blank Echo Dot Setup screen. Nothing happens... Then after a while, it tells me that my wifi isn't setup... Any ideas? Is the apk the issue?

Robert

EDIT: Okay... didn't know that you can configure through the web url. I've got it connected now. So why is there no 'Canadian' setup option? Any idea when Canada will get this?
    Last edited by langenet; October 22, 2016, 04:45 PM.
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

My 4 Echo DOTs just shipped
    Looking forward to playing with them
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

While I have mine working with HS.. there are location specific requests I can't make like "what is today's weather...?". It reports the weather in Ogdensburg which is the closest U.S. city. So for weather I need to say "what is today's weather for Ottawa Canada?".

Also one thing I noticed was that I can't get the temperature of my thermostat.
      So using the homeseer skill, when I ask for the status of the "thermostat" it reports "HVAC.. HVAC Z-wave Thermostat status is zero... ??
      Does anyone know how to get the temperatures of stat?

The responses all seem to be "Okay" when I tell ALex to turn on a light or increase the thermostat by 2 degrees for example. Is there a way to get it to respond with "increasing the thermostat by 2 degrees"?

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Hey Robert, did you ever get far? I'm resurrecting this project myself.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Greg,
          Yes, I've had this setup since then - just answered another post of yours. As an early adopter in Canada it was a bit of a scratch at first since apk wasn't available in Canada at the time. That all changed a few months after I started playing with it more. But after using alexa.com, I never use it anymore. All is good now and by looking at the post, it's been 3 years now without any major issues.
          Thermostat works well as does the location. The only caveat is that my wife prefers the stat be configured in Fahrenheit so I can either use Jon's helper and tell it to set the temperature in F or say it in Celsius and do the math in my head like all good Canadians do...

Comment

Working...
          X