Upgrading HS3 -Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading HS3 -Linux

Hi All - I am running HS3 Standard on a raspberry PI3. Apologies if this thread is in the wrong please but I'm assuming that the HS3-RPI area is for questions relating to that particular flavour of HS3.

I just realised that the latest version of HS3-Linux is .368. My installation was several versions behind and although it was not giving me any problems I decided it might be a good idea to get up to date. I read various posts about doing this but could not find a definitive version that I felt comfortable with so this is the process I followed. It was not entirely painless so would welcome any comments/observations so that next time it will be:
    1. Shutdown the RPI and cloned the sd card
    2. Restarted the system and backed up the existing config using the function in 'Setup'
    3. Shutdown HomeSeer and then renamed my HomeSeer directory (which in my case is in /usr/local) to HomeSeerOld.
    4. Created a temporary directory in /usr/local and downloaded (using WGET) the Tar files for the latest version of HS3-Linux.
    5. Extracted the downloaded file into the temporary directory (which therefore now contained a new HomeSeer Directory.
    6. At this point I compared the contents of the newly created directory and the old HomeSeer directory and found lots of files missing in the new directory. These all appeared to relate to my plugins so I copied them over from the old to the new.
    7. I then moved the new HomeSeer directory from out of its temporary folder to the correct location and restarted the system.
    8. HomeSeer started OK and after restoring the backed up config all my devices and events re-appeared.
    9. Unfortunately, non of my plugins including Z-Wave would start. According to the logs it appeared to be because of various missing config and other files.
    10. After some investigation it appeared that several of the directories - 'Data', 'html' and 'bin' in the new HomeSeer directory were missing files.
    11. I copied over the contents of these directories from the old HomeSeer directory to the new and everything now seems to be working correctly (except for a Fibaro temperature sensor which for some reason has suddenly switched from celcius to farenheit).
    Did I over-engineer what should have been a simple process?

Apart from all the backup/safety steps (which are always good), it would have been enough to stop HS3, extract the new version over the old one (in the same directory) and start HS3 again.

So yes, I detect a little over-enginering

My steps:
    1. Stop HS3
    2. Backup the HomeSeer directory
    3. Download the update
    4. Unpack in same directory
    5. Start HS3

For step 4, assume you have installed HS3 in /HomeSeer, you would simply use "tar xavf hs3_linux_3_0_0_xxx.tar.gz -C /" were xxx is the new version. The tar file already contains the "HomeSeer" path. If you installed somewhere else, change / to the correct path without the "HomeSeer" path.
    stefxx

Comment

oh well, it was a useful exercise in seeing what does what but thanks for your reply, that's the way I will do it next time

Comment

If you have a copy of the Homeseer directory you can always redo the steps that stefxx posted above.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks guys, happy with this now. After 12 months of HS3 ownership and gradually building up functionality I realised that if HS3 or the hardware it runs on failed catastrophically for any reason it would be a big inconvenience for my family so this all forms part of my 'disaster recover' plan. Unfortunately I, being the only HS3 'subject matter expert' in our family, still represents the SPOF

Comment

Here wife accepts Homeseer automation as a hobby of mine and has no dependencies on it.

Using a low cost ARM based computer it is easy to have two duplicate boxes.

No moving parts these days and very much of an appliance.

Linux never crashes.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Apparently you can also just use sudo ./update.sh version number. So sudo ./updatehs.sh 548

Comment

Working...
              X