www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > UPB plugin by Spud (3P)

UPB plugin by Spud (3P) Spud UPB plugin discussions.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Seer

Question UPB hardware for 240v in Australia/New Zealand?

Hi,

Are there any UPB devices available for the Australian 240v system?
I bought homeseer planning to use it with some zwave and mostly UPB but now I'm having trouble locating any 240v UPB hardware. Initially I'm looking to start my install with a powerline interface module (or PulseWorx Gateway) and some appliance and light switches.
I'm in New Zealand but we use the AU electrical system.

Is UPB still popular or has another wired technology overtaken it?
Or is everything zwave now?

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited by philanyware; July 12th, 2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Seer

I've had clients ask the same question, unfortunately, It's either all Z-Wave or Insteon. But not both as you can in the US. (different frequency)
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Seer

Thanks for the info.

I found this brand who have a 240v Powerline Interface Module and relays and dimmers:
http://powerlinecontrol.com

But I can't find any retailers so not sure how well supported it is.
What are the chances it will work with Homeseer?
Old June 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Seer

Never heard of them, why not ask them directly?
Old June 15th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Seer

The guy who makes it is not aware of Homeseer and suggested I use HAI or ELAN which don't look very DIY friendly to me.

I'm keen to get a PIM and a relay to test with Homeseer. What are the chances that Spud would be willing and able to get the plugin to work with this gear?

It's an RS232 PIM:
http://powerlinecontrol.com/products...ucts-pllc.html

And this is the appliance relay:
http://powerlinecontrol.com/products...elay-pllc.html

With the 240v thing I guess spud could only work from the logs I send him.

Thanks,
Phil
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:17 PM

If the serial PIM works with UPStart there is good chances that it works with the plug-in too.
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Seer

Thanks Spud. Yes, UPStart is used to configure it.
If it doesn't work, is that the end or can your plugin be tinkered with to get it working?
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:43 PM

As I said, if it works with Upstart and other systems like HAI, I don't see any reason why it would not work with my plug-in, they all use the same protocol.
In the case it doesn't, I cannot guarantee that I would be able to fix the plug-in to make it work, but I will try if you can provide logs.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Seer

That sounds perfect. I'll get one and give it a try.

Thanks,
Phil
Old July 12th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Seer

Checkbox UPB hardware is working for 240v Australia/New Zealand plugs

I'm pleased to report that the RS232 PIM and appliance relay have arrived from powerlinecontrol.com and both are working nicely with Homeseer so far.

I've also been speaking to a local (Wellington, NZ) installer who uses UPB gear and he buys European equipment. It's the same voltage as in NZ and because he only uses hard wired gear there's no problem with plugs not fitting.
He doesn't use Homeseer but I plan to get some relays from him and will report back if they work ok and what brand they are.
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:49 AM
OverSeer

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Phil!!!

The HAI HLC protocal was added to the HAI UPB switches for configuration with the Leviton OmniPro combination alarm and security panels.

That written HAI switches are just UPB switches which will work just fine with Upstart and Spud's Homeseer UPB plugin.

I am using UPB and utilize PCS, Simply Automated and HAI UPB switches here.

Utilize Upstart for programming of the switches.

Over the last few years have gone to using dual load multiple paddle switches to reduce the wall footprint. These switches are very high on the WAF.

Most of the multiple paddle switches are configured as scene controllers here. The paddle switches have replaced the original button style switches here.

In addition here utilize a two phase UPB repeater. There are also 3-phase UPB repeaters available. These are seen as devices in Upstart.

I have no issues with transport to all of the switches. Here my switches are in metal boxes and electrical is run in metal conduit to the fuse panel to three floors of the exterior brick home.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Seer

Thanks Pete. And for the info.

Leviton told me they don't make any product in 240v. Do you know if any of the gear you mentioned is available in 240v?

Could you give a link to your favourite dual load multiple paddle switch?
Old July 12th, 2017, 05:47 PM
OverSeer

Mostly all new switches here are Simply Automated Inc.

I use their base switch here which is a US2-40 and dual load US22-40. With these I can utilize any multitoggle faceplate.

Name:  ubp-1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  upb2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  47.9 KB

I am looking for a 220VAC reference on their site and do not see anything.

Also looking the PCS website for references to 220VAC switches....see nothing on the PCS website relating to 220VAC.

Here for 3-4 way lightning utilize virtual links on the paddles.

Leviton sells the HAI OmniPro 2 along with HLC (UPB) switches. I only see a reference to the company above for UPB switches in Australia.

My HLC switches are almost identical to the SA switches and PCS switches except for the dual load switches.

Looking here on the Leviton web site for HLC switches it mentions that the switches work for 120/240VAC house wiring.

When looking at the HLC room controllers it mentions only 120 VAC.

Last edited by Pete; July 12th, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Seer

Those are nice looking switches. The data sheet says they are 110v:
http://www.simply-automated.com/docu...40_1306013.pdf

But I suppose any European or Aussie equivalent would work too so I'll ask my installer what he uses.
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Seer

Thats good news on the RS232 PIM, I have had clients that want to use HS but have not been able to find a way of using it with UPB, problem solved.

The switches are nice, but not able to be used in Australia.

I've just been down the regulatory path and can tell you it's a long and expensive road to travel to get electrical devices certified for use here. So be careful here.

Any switch that is used in Australia must be certified to AS/NZS 60669.1.2013, registered with ERAC and be marked with the RCM (triangle with tick). I think you will find NZ is similar

Hardwiring into a switchboard or electrical cabinet is another matter.

The critical test is how a consumer comes into contact with it.
Hardwire in an electrical cabinet is OK with Certificates of Conformity, otherwise you need rigorous test report(s) and a Certificate of Approval for use in Australia/New Zealand.
Old July 12th, 2017, 08:25 PM
OverSeer

Yes here over the years (since 1978) went from but still utilize X10, Insteon and finally UPB for my powerline light switches. All of the wall switches today are UPB.

That said I utilize the Leviton Omni Pro 2 which is connected to a UPB HAI PIM, TW-523 on steroids (dual phase Volp interface), Z-Wave VRCOP and Leviton HAI Zigbee ZIM.

On the Homeseer side utilize a UPB PIM, X10 CM11A (with Volp steroids) and a ZWave dedicated RPi2 plus a plug in to the Omni Pro panel.

What is popular in the EU via the OmniPro for lighting utilized KNX but there is no direct Homeseer plugin for KNX.

The above noted you can control any lighting protocol connected to the Leviton Omni Pro2 via the Homeseer HAI plugin. It is costly though to add the Leviton Omni Pro combination security automation panel.

Here in the US the only advancement in the electrical fuse panel has been automatic breakers; other than that the techonology and methodology of home electrical wiring is over 50 years old now. Well now too plastic romax cables are utilized and plastic boxes are utilized. I am old fashioned and prefer to utilize metal tubing conduit and metal box switches...but that is me. Here for house adding more electrical wires and granularized the circuits a bit by dividing up rooms somewhat...a lighting circuit breaker, one for media, one for wall outlets et al. Did the same throughout the home. Over did it a bit with 2-3 15AMP circuits per bedroom and really didn't need to do this anyhow. It is all changing now with the use of LED lighting. I built a small multiple MeanWell DIN mounted 12 volt power supply here and utilize UPB switches to control the multiple MeanWell power supplies. I did rewire much of the exterior lighting to 12VDC and use of LED lighting. Just two weeks ago here changed the 120VAC shower lighting to 12VDC LED. Works way better and very bright now. The shower area was large and poorly light.

A few years back worked with Telstra there in New Zealand and Australia and a few airline offices and needed our stuff to conform with the standards in place there. Was not much of an issue. Much of it was relating to security and freight and wireless computer and RF stuff. Mostly though in a global sense wireless RF stuff and rules were unique.

Last edited by Pete; July 12th, 2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old August 13th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That said I utilize the Leviton Omni Pro 2 which is connected to a UPB HAI PIM, TW-523 on steroids (dual phase Volp interface), Z-Wave VRCOP and Leviton HAI Zigbee ZIM.

On the Homeseer side utilize a UPB PIM, X10 CM11A (with Volp steroids) and a ZWave dedicated RPi2 plus a plug in to the Omni Pro panel
Hi Pete, you use almost every existing home automation product in your house. I bet you are not married
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:58 AM
OverSeer

I am married and wife is very patient of my tinkering...

Been married now for some 40 years or so. (X4).