ISY Insteon Beta 1.0.1.18 - Updated 4/16/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISY Insteon Beta 1.0.1.18 - Updated 4/16/2010

This is a beta version 1.0.1.18 of the ISY Insteon Plug-in.

At this point, I believe it is feature complete, however some of the new features required a large amount of new code so there may be bugs. This is being released as an installation package that will update an existing installation of the plug-in to this version. It will re-use the your existing license key.

This release has been tested to work with the latest ISY firmware - 2.7.15.

NOTE: Prior versions of the ISY Insteon plug-in will crash if used with ISY Firmware 2.7.15 and the weatherbug module.

NOTE: If upgrading from the 1.0.1.0 Gold release of the ISY Insteon plugin, you will have to re-configure any events that have thermostat actions.

Installation
    1. Download the ISYInsteion-1.0.1.18.zip file
    2. Unzip the contents
    3. shutdown HomeSeer
    4. Run HomeSeerPluginISYInsteon_1_0_0.msi
    5. Restart HomeSeer

Updates since 1.0.1.8
    - Fixed status screen to show correct ISY firmware version after ISY firmware update.
    - Fixed issue where an error message was displayed if no features where found on an ISY26. The ISY26 doesn't support features (modules) so this is not an error.
    - Fixed status screen to only show each thermostat once instead of 4 times.
    - Removed some log messages for ISY messages that are purposely being ignored by the plug-in.
    - Changed the wording of some log messages to make them less confusing. There were some messages that used "notification" in the message body and this could be confused with the "Notify" log level.
    - Added the ability to parse location and location2 from the ISY device name. For example: <location2>:<location>:name
    - Added full support for the ConditionUI interface. This has thousands of permutations so it has not been thoroughly tested. There are a couple of known issues:
    1) Module conditions can be selected even if you don't have the module installed (WeatherBug and Brultech energy monitor)
    2) The modules don't keep track of the last update time for each individual value supported by the module. Thus, something like barometric pressure has been 29 for 25 minutes, doesn't work correctly yet, even though you can set it as a condition.
    - Thermostats now create additional, status only, virtual devices for humidity, mode, heat setpoint, cool setpoint, and setpoint. These new devices should be created automatically when you first run this version. I don't believe this breaks any existing behavior. However, the main device now only reports the current temperature instead of a string with all the thermostat status values.

Updates since 1.0.1.9
    - Fixed bug in virtual thermostat devices. The device value was not getting set to the proper value (if at all).

Updates since 1.0.1.10
    - Added a new thermostat trigger that can be used to detect any status change to the thermostat.
    - Removed warning message about network read failure when re-syncing to the ISY. The read failure is expected since the re-sync operation shutdown and restarts communication with the ISY.

Updates since 1.0.1.11
    - Bug fixes to the thermostat virtual devices. With the new virtual devices, it is likely that the buttons for the main thermostat device (up/down) would not work with the previous versions.

Updates since 1.0.1.12
    - Fixed erroneous error message about missing features on ISY26.
    - Fixed bug where humidity status would show temperature instead of humidity.

Updates since 1.0.1.13
    - Fixed bug where the plug-in would use the entered IP address even though it was not valid and the plug-in was able to auto-detect the ISY.
    - Increased the number of attempts to auto-discover the ISY from 20 to 100. This should work better if there are a large number of UPNP devices on the network.
    - This version has been tested to display humidity values correctly.

Updates since 1.0.1.14
    - Fixed bug with EZIO8SA where the relay and sensor device nodes were reversed. If you have one of these installed, removing it from Homeseer and resyncing the plug-in with the ISY should get the device nodes corrected.
    - Enhanced the plug-in's script API so that ControlDevice and RunProgram API calls will now take a HomeSeer device code along with the ISY's device ID.
    - Enhanced the installer a bit. It should always pop up the options dialog box on top of the main installer window instead of hiding it behind it. I also added the ability to set the IP address, username, and password at this point in the install.

Updates since 1.0.1.15
    - Fixed bug in program conditions. They were looking for the wrong status values.

Updates since 1.0.1.16
    - Fixed bug in fan control actions. It was sending the wrong values and was not able to switch the fan mode to 'auto'.
    - Updated the action formatting so that it is more readable. This does not effect functionality.

Updates since 1.0.1.17
    - Fixed bug in WeatherBug support. If the ISY provides additional values, it would crash the plug-in.
    - Support for ISY WeatherBug Rain Rate, and Max Rain Rate values.

I have a question related to the multi-capability support:
    The multi-capability support was implemented in a fairly generic way. This means that other devices could make use of this. The two that come to mind are the Weatherbug module and the Electricity Meter module. Instead of 1 HomeSeer device, they could be represented as many. Weatherbug could be split into 19 different HomeSeer devices. The Electricity Meter module into 35.

Does anyone see any advantage to doing this? If so, what would it allow you to do that you can't do today?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bpwwer; April 22, 2010, 10:08 PM.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Bob,

I installed 1.0.1.9 on ISY firmware 2.7.12. I'm having to rework my scripts to take advantage of the new thermostat devices (maybe you recall I provided my script I used to parse the thermostat string in previous versions).

I notice that the new devices created don't track devicevalue, only devicestring. Would it be possible for you to update the devicevalues so that these devices can be more easily read as integers?
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
      Bob,

I installed 1.0.1.9 on ISY firmware 2.7.12. I'm having to rework my scripts to take advantage of the new thermostat devices (maybe you recall I provided my script I used to parse the thermostat string in previous versions).
      Yes, I remember!

I was trying to figure out how to indicate that scripts that parsed the status string would break with this release, but ended up leaving it a little vague.

I notice that the new devices created don't track devicevalue, only devicestring. Would it be possible for you to update the devicevalues so that these devices can be more easily read as integers?
      Thanks for catching that. Yes, I can fix that. I'll try to get an update out tonight.
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Hi Bob,

Just curious if you are planning to get the update out soon. I disabled my thermostat events, and thus the house is cold when I wake up. I was going to wait for the update because I have many changes in HSTouch and scripts to make if I'm going to work around the absense of devicevalue values. Thanks.
        Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I posted the update Tuesday night. At least I think I did. The 1.0.1.10 version of the plug-in is attached to the first post in this thread.

I'm sorry that wasn't clear. I was trying to things a little more consolidated instead of having a bunch of smaller threads with discussions around similar small releases. I didn't mean to leave you with a cold house!

If 1.0.1.10 isn't doing what you expect with respect to device values, then I still have some more work to do and I'll need some more details from you. In my testing I was getting the same values from the devicestring and devicevalue calls.

Hi Bob,

Just curious if you are planning to get the update out soon. I disabled my thermostat events, and thus the house is cold when I wake up. I was going to wait for the update because I have many changes in HSTouch and scripts to make if I'm going to work around the absense of devicevalue values. Thanks.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the update! I was checking for New Posts, apparently an edit doesn't qualify (lol).

I tried the new version. Devicevalues are now populated (thanks), but there are a couple of weird things:

- Mode is OFF (it's in Heat mode on the thermostat and ISY console)
            - Humidity is 140% (apparently it's raining in my house), and the devicevalue is 40. (ISY console is 79%)
            - SetPoint is 40 degrees, but setpoint devicevalue is 140 (devicevalues crossed between humidity and setpoint?). Note, I don't think I ever set SetPoint so 40 deg may be ok.

I just set the thermostat in ISY to AUTO, and weird thing is that the AC came on even though Heatset is 70 and Coolset is 90 (house temp is 71). After I changed thermostat in ISY back to HEAT mode, the Heatset in the plugin now reads 126 degrees and Humidity is now 252% (I'm getting soaked here - lol)! HeatSet was tracking correctly prior to changing mode on ISY to Auto and back to Heat.

A restart of HS doesn't fix the new Heatset and Humidity values.

I also tried ReSync'ing, and all my devices report not (yet) mapped to HomeSeer device (I think I always saw that), but also getting timeout and the plugin page shows no values:
            3/4/2010 1:51:46 PM - ISY Insteon - MAIN: ISY notification Light Sn not (yet) mapped to HomeSeer device.
            3/4/2010 1:51:46 PM - ISY Insteon - COMM: ISY network communication read timeout:
            3/4/2010 1:51:46 PM - ISY Insteon - COMM: --> Thread was being aborted.

Thanks!
            Last edited by mwaite; March 4, 2010, 04:58 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Update:

When I changed from AUTO back to HEAT mode from the ISY console, the thermostat must have received a bad Insteon packet because I checked the thermostat and it was in HEAT mode but the value set was OL (that indicates an out-of-range). After resetting the thermostat to 70 for heat set point, the plugin/ISY report that correctly.

So in case I've made this too confusing, I'll recap:
              - Operating Mode always reporting OFF
              - Humidity is 140%, and 40 for it's devicevalue
              - Setpoint is 40.5 deg, and it's devicevalue is 140.
              - ReSync doesn't seem to work
              Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the details! I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. I pretty much leave my thermostat in auto mode and when I checked the values with a script, they looked correct, but there might be something crossed somewhere that is causing problems when changing modes.

If you get a chance, can you post the bit of your script that you're using to get the values? I just want to make sure I'm doing the same thing to reproduce it.

The insteon protocol doubles the values going back and forth to the thermostat. This is so it can send an integer value but still work with 1/2 degree increments. Thus seeing a value of 140 where you might expect 70 might make sense. And means I'm not dividing by 2 somewhere.

Setpoint is suppose to be the setpoint for the current (or last set) mode. Thus in heat mode, setpoint should be the same as heat setpoint. Changing setpoint should change both heat and cool setpoints by the same amount.

I think I need to better document what re-sync is for. It is there for the rare case where a new device type (unknown to the plug-in) was added, thus creating a generic device record in HomeSeer and allow a newer version of the plug-in to re-build that HomeSeer device with non-generic support. It should not ever cause any problems to use it, so I'll take a look at that too and figure out what's going on to cause the errors.

Looks like I also need to make a quick new post when updating the package. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize it didn't show up as a new post.

Update:

When I changed from AUTO back to HEAT mode from the ISY console, the thermostat must have received a bad Insteon packet because I checked the thermostat and it was in HEAT mode but the value set was OL (that indicates an out-of-range). After resetting the thermostat to 70 for heat set point, the plugin/ISY report that correctly.

So in case I've made this too confusing, I'll recap:
                - Operating Mode always reporting OFF
                - Humidity is 140%, and 40 for it's devicevalue
                - Setpoint is 40.5 deg, and it's devicevalue is 140.
                - ReSync doesn't seem to work
                --
                Bob Paauwe
                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all your help.

I only using devicevalue (e.g. heatset = hs.devicevalue(".79") to retrieve the tstat settings.

For setting tstat values, I'm using (heat example): temp = tstat.CmdSetHeat(1, heatval, 1)
                  Mike

Comment

Hi Bob,

Out of curiosity, what was the reason for changing to discrete thermostat devices as opposed to one device string with all tstat parameters? I'm asking because I'm still working on getting my scripts and HSTouch screens to work with the new setup, and have just realized that I can no longer have an event to trigger when ANY tstat parameter changes, but instead have to create multiple events to trigger (one for heat set, one for cool set, one for temperature, etc). I guess I'm kinda missing the old format.
                    Mike

Comment

Hi Bob,

Out of curiosity, what was the reason for changing to discrete thermostat devices as opposed to one device string with all tstat parameters? I'm asking because I'm still working on getting my scripts and HSTouch screens to work with the new setup, and have just realized that I can no longer have an event to trigger when ANY tstat parameter changes, but instead have to create multiple events to trigger (one for heat set, one for cool set, one for temperature, etc). I guess I'm kinda missing the old format.
                      Well, there was a request to separate them since they are somewhat separate capabilities. Given that a HomeSeer device can only have one "value", it seemed to make sense.

However, nothing is set in stone, and I most certainly want to satisfy as many usage models as possible.

So you are triggering on device string change or device status change? I can create a new thermostat trigger that fires on "any status change". That's not hard. I could also revert the main device back to having the same status string it had before. I could also create another virtual thermostat device that has the full device status string, but no real device value. Does any one way work better for you?

This is also why I asked the question about the modules and if they should be split. Right now, it seems like the WeatherBug values are only useful as triggers, but if split out into multiple virtual devices, they may be more useful as elements on HSTouch screens.

BTW, I believe I found the problem that is causing the strange values and i should have it fixed shortly.
                      --
                      Bob Paauwe
                      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

It wasn't a big deal splitting the grouped device. Likewise I can see your point about having individual devices, but that brought up the new problem of having to detect/trigger off of each thermostat device change. I'd say whatever is easiest. Right now I'm triggering with each device's "value set to any value". I think your idea of a trigger that would fire if any device status changed might be the easiest? Since all the devices now have strings with values, then any change to any of these devices could cause a single event to trigger? That sounds like a good solution!

I have to confess my ignorance on the split modules question, as I don't utilize Weatherbug or the Electricity functions (at least at this time).

Thank you for your continued awesome support Bob!
                        Mike

Comment

Ok, I created a thermostat trigger that fires when any thermostat message from the ISY is received. It seems to be working.

I also looked at the communication warning messages when re-syncing. It's caused by a timing issue when the plug-in shutdown communication with the ISY and thus not really a problem. I added some checking so that the messages won't get displayed in this case.

I'll package this up and upload it tonight.
                          --
                          Bob Paauwe
                          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Version 1.0.1.11 uploaded -- See the first post in this thread for details.
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Hi Bob,

Tried out the new version, things are getting better. I now have 'Heat' mode instead of always off - lol. There are a couple weird things though. While changing temperature set points a few times, I noticed a couple of times the device status [web status page] for both temperature and humidity were reporting just the degrees symbol [humidity wasn't percent]. Initially the humidity was working, showing (e.g.) 79%. But then both humidity and temperature changed to the degree symbol only on the status page, while the values on the ISY plugin page were showing correctly. Another time the humidity was reading the same value (70deg) as the temperature (screen shot below). I am currently reading all correct values, but it seems to come and go.

I am unsure how to take advantage of the new thermostat trigger. I tried setting an event to trigger on "Device tstat Thermostat set to any status" and "Device tstat Thermostat set to any value" but neither of these would trigger when I changed the heat set point. However I can still get an event to trigger when "Device tstat Thermostat - HSP is set to any status". Maybe I misunderstood how this is supposed to work?
                              Attached Files
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X