Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Automated UPB UCQF-W 3-Speed Fan Controller

Hi Spud,

I just ordered a few of the new Simply Automated UPB 3-Speed Fan Controllers and wanted to see if you could set them up so they import correctly int the plugin.

Product Link Here:
    http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...ller_white.php

Product Sheet Here:
    http://www.simply-automated.com/docu...-W)_140404.pdf

Manual Here:
    http://www.simply-automated.com/docu...ide_140415.pdf

It essentially is a 4 Button Controller with Off/Low/Medium/High options. It also has an ability to switch (not dim) a light which I am not using. That said, each button is also a scene switch and activates a scene if preferred. The Scenes are working as expected and imported and operate fine. I just cant seem to get it to show up as a consolidated device. Each button on the device is a separate channel import as shown shown in the attachment.

I have also attached the .UPE File information for that controller. Please let me know if you can help or if you need anything else from me.

Thanks!

-Travis
    Attached Files

I just cant seem to get it to show up as a consolidated device. Each button on the device is a separate channel import as shown shown in the attachment.
    this is the expected behavior, each channel is represented in HS as a "UPB Device" device that basically represent one physical button + associated indicator light

the plugin should also have created the 4 "UPB Link"devices, representing the links for High/Medium/Low/Off

so what's not working exactly?

Comment

Hi Spud,

I am fairly new to HS and rather a basic user at that. Previously I used HAI HLC to easily program my UPB system so please bare with me on the rough explanation below:

Here's what I am finding even though maybe the UPB functionality is importing perfectly. What I would like to see (if possible) is one unified device presented for this switch so it appears like the wall switch it is.

In HS, it would be like a Light Switch that had Off/Low/Medium/High selections. Of course the individual UPB Links and maybe even the lights would be separate. Otherwise, it works perfectly physically but in HS acts a little strange.

For instance, locally when "Off", pressing "Low" on the switch does the following:

1) Off LED Turns Off
      2) Low LED Turns On
      3) Low Fan Speed Relay (Inside the Switch) Powered

In HS though, when you activate a link, things work fine. Moving from low to High acts accordingly in fan speed and LED's on the switch. When you use I suppose the devices created for the LED's, the fans will power up and light both the LED and power the motor at that speed. For instance, toggling to the On selection powers the LED and the Motor control and you can have both Low and Medium powered at the same time which actually runs the fan at the combined Low/Med speed of High due to both speed relays being on at the same time. So then you have invalid indications so you have no idea what speed you are really at as Low and Medium LED's are light but the fan is at high speed. I corrected this issue from happening by changing the indicator devices Status-Control to "Status" but they did not import that way.

I suspect I should remove all of the normal options for the UPB Links for the fans as well except for Activate and Deactivate as there is not dimming function and using "On" turns on all the LED's and speeds on the controller which is not helpful. Are these settings that you can setup so this model of device inherits a specific template when it is detected or do I need to modify each of these manually in the future.

So basically, after modifying the Status/Control I am left with a usable solution but is there a way to create a Fan Device that is essentially a Virtual Device that sends the "Activate" UPB Link commands for Off, Low, Medium and High? Even having a slider which triggers Links at 0/1-33/34-66/67-100 would be appropriate or is that another idea for another SPUD Plug-In?!?!?!

Also, I was curious about the link status in the HS Device List. I noticed that the default is "Activate", I suspect this is tied to the Last Change Time/Date so you know what time it was last activated since it's a control and not necessarily a Status. That said, by default it looks like all links were activated when you boot up HS which we know is not true. Wouldn't the default Status be Deactivate if the link hasn't been activated since the last start of HS? Not sure about this, I may be missing something here.

Thanks!

-Travis

Comment

Bump

Comment

sorry for the delay

let me try to explain what happens here:
          Each of the 4 "Ceiling Fan - Ch X" devices represents a UPB channel, i.e. the status and control of a load and the associated indicator light. This is easier to understand if you see this for example as a switch with 4 buttons that would control 4 different loads, in this case the 4 loads and indicator lights could be turned On at the same time. In the case of this specific Fan controller device it makes a little less sense because the 4 channels actually control the same load but with different levels, so only one of them can be On at the same time. When you physically press one button on this controller what actually happens is that one link is activated which turn on one of the channel and turn off the 3 other channels, this is different from clicking the On button of a channel device which only turn on one channel.

So this device is a mix of a switch (controlling a load) and a keypad (that send links to control other loads), but is defined more like a switch by the plugin because in the .upe file there is no "Button record", so the plugin doesn't even know this device has buttons.

What you can do is manually create a virtual device with 4 buttons (Off/Low/Medium/High) and create one event for each button that will Activate the corresponding Link when the device is set to this value.

Regarding Links, "Activate" means that each channel should go to it's own unique pre-programmed level, whereas On means all channel should go to level 100 (On) that's why when you click "On" it turns on all the indicator lights.
          So, yes you can delete all the buttons Links except Activate. You can even delete the Deactivate button because from the controller the links are never deactivated. Each button of your physical controller has the same effect that clicking the corresponding "Activate" button in HS.

I suspect that is also why you see all links with an "Activate" status because they are never actually deactivated unless you control them with HS and the Deactivate button.

not sure this is very clear, let me know if you have questions

Comment

Hi Spud,

Thanks for the response. I am running into a little trouble with the workaround. I am not sure how best to deal with what wasn't said. I setup the virtual devices for 3 of my switches and I have that working great. That said, how do I best deal with the physical press of a button (Link Activated) on the switch changing the status in the virtual device? It seems like a circular reference in my mind but I am not sure which event should get the 1 time per second limit or whatnot. How would you best deal with that in programming the event?

I attached a copy of the Event Example of what is working with HS Control. Now I need to figure out the proper or best way to do the update of the Virtual Device when someone presses the switch.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help,

-Travis
            Attached Files

Comment

you're right, you need to avoid circular reference. To do that I would add a condition on the channel to your event:

IF "Virtual Device" changes and becomes Low
              AND "Celing Fan - Ch 2" is Off
              THEN Set Device "Ceiling Fan - Low" to Activate

and then another event to update the status of the virtual device when the button is physically pressed.

IF "Ceiling Fan - Ch 2" changes and becomes On
              THEN Set "Virtual Device" to Low

Comment

Hi Spud,

Thanks again for your time looking into this. I tried doing the programming and ran into another issue. I have turned off all events related to the fan controller for the time being to expose this issue. Something isn't working properly. Here's the example:

UPB Device ID 134 - UCQF-W 3-Speed Fan Controller

Link 105 --> (LED Device 134 CH-1) Fan Speed High
                Link 106 --> (LED Device 134 CH-2) Fan Speed Medium
                Link 107 --> (LED Device 134 CH-3) Fan Speed Low
                Link 108 --> (LED Device 134 CH-4) Fan Off

The Debug Log is show after pressing the physical LOW SPEED BUTTON on the controller while it was in the "Off" Mode. What is actually happening is that the Physical controller goes to "Low Speed" and the Indicator turns on correctly. However in HS, Both the High(CH1) and Low(CH3) Device Indicators are turning to "On".

Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU08150100868604D2]
                Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 0 from 0 to 4
                Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU08140100868604D3]
                Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG LINK[107]:: Got Link ACTIVATE
                Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU8915016B8620FFFF52]
                Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 3 from 100 to 0
                Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 2 from 0 to 100
                Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG LINK[107]:: Got Link ACTIVATE
                Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU8914016B8620FFFF53]

Any idea how to determine why this is happening?

I am unsure what the channel 0 reference is for. I tested further and it appears that the following is being logged in the log reference:

Ch0 = High,
                Ch1 = Medium
                Ch2 = Low
                Ch3 = Off

in HS the Device Addresses are as follows:

1-D134-C1 - High
                1-D134-C2 - Medium
                1-D134-C3 - Low
                1-D134-C4 - Off

Since Channel 0 is shown is this an enumeration problem in the Plug-in import it looks like the actions are off by a value of 1 and Channel 0 has values that aren't even defined (like 4).

Soooo confused!

-Travis
                Last edited by Daweeze; July 7, 2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

The log shows channels with 0 based index because this is what is used internally, I agree this can be confusing but the following part of the log is correct and expected

Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG LINK[107]:: Got Link ACTIVATE
                  Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU8915016B8620FFFF52]
                  Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 3 from 100 to 0
                  Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 2 from 0 to 100
                  Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG LINK[107]:: Got Link ACTIVATE
                  Jul-07 8:29:18 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU8914016B8620FFFF53]

it means the PIM has received the Link 107 message so it turns on the Low channel device and turned off the Off channel device

what I don't understand is the other messages you got:

Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU08150100868604D2]
                  Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG DEVICE[134]:: Level changing on channel 0 from 0 to 4
                  Jul-07 8:29:19 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_RCVR:: Received UPB command [PU08140100868604D3]

those message are state report that say the High channel has been set to the level 4. This explains why you see the High channel device set to On, but I don't understand why this message is sent.

When this happens can you try to select the channel device on the management page, and click the poll button to see what state report message is sent in this case.
                  Also what happens when you press another button on the controller, do you always get this extra message?
                  Last edited by spud; July 9, 2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I just installed one of these devices and wondering if the work around was fully vetted.
                    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
                    Way2 Call
                    Elk M1 Gold
                    UPB HAI switches
                    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Ping! Love to get this fan controller working.
                      -Tim

Way2 Call
                      Elk M1 Gold
                      UPB HAI switches
                      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
                        Ping! Love to get this fan controller working.
                        did you try the controller with the plugin?
                        if so what problem are you facing?

Comment

Simply Automated UPB UCQF-W 3-Speed Fan Controller

Yes. I have your plugin. Love it btw.

The upe file imported the fan as four devices or channels.

1=off
                          2=low
                          3=medium
                          4=high

If the fan is on medium and you send the on command for low, both the low and medium indicators are on.

I also think the low and med speeds add together when both are on, making the fan faster than low or medium.

Would it be possible to have one device with four buttons, off, low, med, high, where only one state can be active at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Tim

Way2 Call
                          Elk M1 Gold
                          UPB HAI switches
                          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
                            Yes. I have your plugin. Love it btw.

The upe file imported the fan as four devices or channels.

1=off
                            2=low
                            3=medium
                            4=high

If the fan is on medium and you send the on command for low, both the low and medium indicators are on.

I also think the low and med speeds add together when both are on, making the fan faster than low or medium.

Would it be possible to have one device with four buttons, off, low, med, high, where only one state can be active at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            rather then using the On/Off buttons of the channel devices, try to use the Activate buttons of the link devices

Comment

I was able to test with the links tonight. That seems to work fine with expected results. Thanks!
                              -Tim

Way2 Call
                              Elk M1 Gold
                              UPB HAI switches
                              HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Working...
                              X