Looking to integrate Concord System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to integrate Concord System

I have a Concord system that was installed last year in a new build home. I am ready to incorporate the alarm system with homeseer but want to make sure my set up will work. The Concord alarm box is located in master closet and my Homeseer computer is located in "server closet". It is roughly 40-50' of cable length away from each other. I have read the serial cable must not be over 25'. Is this the cable between Alarm Box and Module or the Module to the Homeseer computer?

Also, is the automation module this one? GE Security 60-783-02 SuperBus 2000 RS-232 Automation Module

I have spare cat5 cables ran from master closet to server closet so I was going to buy the RS232 extenders over cat5 to connect the module to my homeseer computer but I want o see if anyone else has gone over the 25' length before I bought the $60 module.

Originally posted by olag00 View Post
    I have a Concord system that was installed last year in a new build home. I am ready to incorporate the alarm system with homeseer but want to make sure my set up will work. The Concord alarm box is located in master closet and my Homeseer computer is located in "server closet". It is roughly 40-50' of cable length away from each other. I have read the serial cable must not be over 25'. Is this the cable between Alarm Box and Module or the Module to the Homeseer computer?

Also, is the automation module this one? GE Security 60-783-02 SuperBus 2000 RS-232 Automation Module

I have spare cat5 cables ran from master closet to server closet so I was going to buy the RS232 extenders over cat5 to connect the module to my homeseer computer but I want o see if anyone else has gone over the 25' length before I bought the $60 module.
    You should easily go further than 25'. I probably run 50' without any problems. The Concord PI also supports network connections so you can also put a Serial to Enet adapter right at the AM as well. Of course you would need and Enet connection, but it runs much, much further than serial will.

Just wire in the AM, and the panel should recognize it when you power it back up.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
      You should easily go further than 25'. I probably run 50' without any problems. The Concord PI also supports network connections so you can also put a Serial to Enet adapter right at the AM as well. Of course you would need and Enet connection, but it runs much, much further than serial will.

Just wire in the AM, and the panel should recognize it when you power it back up.

Z
      Thanks, I just ordered the automation module. Regarding the serial to ethernet connector, will this work? I do have a switch in the master closet this will be able to connect to in order to get module on the home network.

Serial - Ethernet connector

Comment

Thanks, I just ordered the automation module. Regarding the serial to ethernet connector, will this work? I do have a switch in the master closet this will be able to connect to in order to get module on the home network.

Perhaps but I suspect not. Best way to find out is to plug it into your switch and see if you can access it. I'm guessing there's no LAN facing interface for you to configure the enet settings since it's designed for a Cisco console port??

I've used TrendNet, Lantronics & Global Cache and they've all worked. Just set the LAN port and Serial speed, bits, etc correctly and you should be set.

Z

Comment

I concur. I don't believe that will work as your thinking.

I use an Edgeport 4 (http://www.digi.com/products/models/301-1000-04) Serial to USB as I don't have a Serial Port on my PC. So it takes GE AM serial into Edgeport and out to USB. I got it used off an auction for $20-$30. I would not pay list for it.

So, you if your a DIY, you could get something like this and build a box and might need a PS if you don't have one.
          http://www.saelig.com/product/ETH026.htm

or go with something like these...
          http://www.usconverters.com/serial-e...19faad3ee3aa98

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
            I concur. I don't believe that will work as your thinking.

I use an Edgeport 4 (http://www.digi.com/products/models/301-1000-04) Serial to USB as I don't have a Serial Port on my PC. So it takes GE AM serial into Edgeport and out to USB. I got it used off an auction for $20-$30. I would not pay list for it.

So, you if your a DIY, you could get something like this and build a box and might need a PS if you don't have one.
            http://www.saelig.com/product/ETH026.htm

or go with something like these...
            http://www.usconverters.com/serial-e...19faad3ee3aa98

-Matt
            Thank you for the options! I will look into the DIY approach but might just end up using the global cache serial device since I already have the UltraGCIR3 plugin. I am going to wait until the automation module gets delivered to make sure I understand what is needed. I have a tendency to buy things I think I need but turns out it should have been something else.

Comment

Thank you for the options! I will look into the DIY approach but might just end up using the global cache serial device since I already have the UltraGCIR3 plugin. I am going to wait until the automation module gets delivered to make sure I understand what is needed. I have a tendency to buy things I think I need but turns out it should have been something else.
              Sure thing. I have a habit of over thinking things when a simple solution is the answer. The only recommendation I can provide here is to always go wired. I see "global cache" has wireless options so I would not go that route for obvious reasons. Wireless is simple (I hate running cable) but it is not as reliable as a good solid "cabled" connection.

Feel free to ask questions if you need help. Great forum here.

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                Sure thing. I have a habit of over thinking things when a simple solution is the answer. The only recommendation I can provide here is to always go wired. I see "global cache" has wireless options so I would not go that route for obvious reasons. Wireless is simple (I hate running cable) but it is not as reliable as a good solid "cabled" connection.

Feel free to ask questions if you need help. Great forum here.

-Matt
                I agree about going wired. When I had my house built the low voltage installer said he had never seen the amount of Cat5 and Cat6 drops in a residential house before.

The module is actually being delivered today so I am sure I will have some questions once I start the installation process. I didn't realize it would be delivered in one day but I am not complaining.

Comment

maybe im missing something... but.

I have
                  Panel ==> 50; cat5e ==> into superbus 2000 ==> 6' serial cable ==> into serial port...

no need for any converters of any sort...
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

I have
                    Panel ==> 50; cat5e ==> into superbus 2000 ==> 6' serial cable ==> into serial port...

Good point, Superbus runs a long way if you want to mount the AM near the HS box..

Z

Comment

Is the serial cable a null modem or straight through? Seems I have had issues with this when connecting devices before.

Comment

Is the serial cable a null modem or straight through? Seems I have had issues with this when connecting devices before.
                        Straight through should work. The AM is a DCE device so TXD is pin 2 and RXD is pin 3. The PC should be DTE and TXD on pin 3 and RXD on Pin 2.

Pin 5 is the only other one you need.

9600 baud, 8 bit, odd parity, 1 stop bit

Z

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

I have

See, I was over thinking it quite a bit. The spec doc says 22 gauge wire. So your Cat5(e) might be 24 gauge. Check it. Will it work, most likely.

From the specs:
                          "

-Matt

Comment

I don't have a RS232 port on my Homeseer computer but I do have a RS232-USB adapter. Has anyone had any luck with getting it to communicate with module using one of these adapters?

The power light is solid green and the Red bus LED is blinking and then every once in a while there is another red LED blinking.

I set the connection type to Serial, COM3 (for me), 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, parity none, 1 stop bit, flow control none.

When I click connect Concord panel i get the following:

Comm Port Initialized. NOT Connected to Concord Panel

with these errors in log:

Code:
                            ComPort is OK. Communications to Panel are DOWN
                            When I go to the control page of plugin, I can see it gives all the specifics of panel and updates to Armed, Disarmed when I do it manually. I just can't get the zones to be created...?

This is also repeated in the log:

Code:
                            Apr-20 8:39:24 PM	 	CONCORD Error	An unexpected error occurred in the InsertTrackingEvent() function/subroutine: [System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E) at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_config_none(SQLiteConfigOpsEnum op) at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.StaticIsInitialized() at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteLog.Initialize() at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection..ctor(String connectionString, Boolean parseViaFramework) at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection..ctor() at HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule..cctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule.InsertTrackingEvent(Int32 myZone, String pEvent, Int16 pPartition)]

Comment

I don't have a RS232 port on my Homeseer computer but I do have a RS232-USB adapter. Has anyone had any luck with getting it to communicate with module using one of these adapters?

The power light is solid green and the Red bus LED is blinking and then every once in a while there is another red LED blinking.

I set the connection type to Serial, COM3 (for me), 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, parity none, 1 stop bit, flow control none.

When I click connect Concord panel i get the following:

Comm Port Initialized. NOT Connected to Concord Panel

with these errors in log:

Code:
                              ComPort is OK. Communications to Panel are DOWN
                              When I go to the control page of plugin, I can see it gives all the specifics of panel and updates to Armed, Disarmed when I do it manually. I just can't get the zones to be created...?

This is also repeated in the log:

Code:
                              Apr-20 8:39:24 PM	 	CONCORD Error	An unexpected error occurred in the InsertTrackingEvent() function/subroutine: [System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E) at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_config_none(SQLiteConfigOpsEnum op) at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.StaticIsInitialized() at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteLog.Initialize() at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection..ctor(String connectionString, Boolean parseViaFramework) at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection..ctor() at HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule..cctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at HSPI_CONCORD.dbModule.InsertTrackingEvent(Int32 myZone, String pEvent, Int16 pPartition)]
                              Couple of things..
                              1. Is the sqlite3.dll file in the HS3 root directory?
                              2. Try using Odd parity
                              3. Are you sure the USB/Serial device is a DTE device (Pin 3 should show voltage (approx 5vdc). If not, then you'll need a null modem cable.

I've just uploaded the latest Version 1_13_6, it has the sqlite3.dll file in it now.

Z

Comment

Working...
                              X