No announcement yet.

Great Plug In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After much experimentation I settled on the three tags, and the plug-in supported the idea of multiple tags in "Groups". The reasons were multiple:
    1. It's pretty common to have one or more tags drop out for some amount of time, especially in the cold.
    2. With the radio shack in-line amp, the 40m transmitters seem to have drop-out when they are too close.
    3. Because the 8m ones run on a battery, one of them can pretty easily go dead for days.
    When I watch the tags in the plug-in log, I will see tags drop out all the time, even though the cars are in the garage / driveway. However, it is very unlikely that all three tags will inadvertantly go out of range unless the car is actually gone.

Steve

Comment

Regarding the receiver set-up: I know I have posted some pictures and tutorial here of the antenna and amplifier, as well as the mod to the receiver to support the cable run to the antenna. I'll look to see if I can find them, but I think they were in one of the "CheaperRFID" threads.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I found tons of info on those posts. Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
          After much experimentation I settled on the three tags, and the plug-in supported the idea of multiple tags in "Groups". The reasons were multiple:
          1. It's pretty common to have one or more tags drop out for some amount of time, especially in the cold.
          2. With the radio shack in-line amp, the 40m transmitters seem to have drop-out when they are too close.
          3. Because the 8m ones run on a battery, one of them can pretty easily go dead for days.

When I watch the tags in the plug-in log, I will see tags drop out all the time, even though the cars are in the garage / driveway. However, it is very unlikely that all three tags will inadvertantly go out of range unless the car is actually gone.

Steve
          It's for this reason I used to use the motion detector as well as these to determine if a car was here/gone.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
            Regarding the receiver set-up: I know I have posted some pictures and tutorial here of the antenna and amplifier, as well as the mod to the receiver to support the cable run to the antenna. I'll look to see if I can find them, but I think they were in one of the "CheaperRFID" threads.

Steve
            That would be great if you can find that tutorial Steve.
            I have been to the RFID site but i am confused on what to order.

-Mark

Comment

An update on my project, and hopefully some answers to some questions in this post:

1. Blade's plug-in allows 2 receivers.

2. What I discovered is that one receiver was hard to locate to cover the driveway/garage (for cars) and the kitchen (for the one in the wife's purse and my backpack). So I put in 2 receivers. One above the garage door and one next to the homeseer PC.

3. Ananiah (where I bought the units off eBay) said the 'extended range antenna' was only for the transmitter. Tried it on a 40m unit and in my test it reduced the range versus just the straight wire.

4. Found in my setup if I set the out of range timing to 2 minutes everything runs stable. That is they don't erroneously fault out then in while not really going moving.

I'm going to check into Steve's cross antenna and in-line amplifier concept that he described next. Primarily for the WAF as she like the garage door automatically opening but 'mentioned' it would be nicer if it happened sooner.

Ken J.

Comment

Working...
              X