Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBLan ignoring MAC

Greetings,
    I have BBLan devices in a mixed static/DHCP network. BBLan devices are configured with IPs and MACs.

Device "A" has been offline for a few days, meanwhile device "B" was issued A's IP via DHCP.

My problem is that BBLan reports the machine "A" as being online and "B" as being offline. It is correct if it only honors the IP. If it looks at the MAC addresses it would see the problem.

It is my fault that the machine is not static, but will BBLan work with a DHCP setup ? What do you use the MAC addresses for, if not for filtering ?

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
    Greetings,
    I have BBLan devices in a mixed static/DHCP network. BBLan devices are configured with IPs and MACs.

Device "A" has been offline for a few days, meanwhile device "B" was issued A's IP via DHCP.

My problem is that BBLan reports the machine "A" as being online and "B" as being offline. It is correct if it only honors the IP. If it looks at the MAC addresses it would see the problem.

It is my fault that the machine is not static, but will BBLan work with a DHCP setup ? What do you use the MAC addresses for, if not for filtering ?

Any suggestions?
    The MAC address is used for WOL, it is the IP address that tracks the device. You will have to use static IPs or IP reservations. I use IP reservations because it is easier to roam with portable devices.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      The MAC address is used for WOL, it is the IP address that tracks the device. You will have to use static IPs or IP reservations. I use IP reservations because it is easier to roam with portable devices.
      Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Cisco DOCSYS router has a very short reservation list. Each time I add a new reservation it bumps an older one off the list. I think it is 5 addresses deep.

Comment

Working...
      X