www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Thermostat / HVAC Plug-ins > Thermostat / HVAC Discussion

Old August 10th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Seer Deluxe

Is there a way to have a thermostat look at remote sensor

I have a thermostat that sits on an exterior wall that is not well insulated. I know the real answer here is repair the insulation, but that is a way bigger undertaking.

It is a Trane XL624.

If I get a Z-wave temp sensor, is there a way to have the thermostat look at the remote z-wave sensor instead of it's internal? Could this be accomplished is "Associations?"

I'd rather not have to program events using the remote sensor as a trigger. Would like to simply have the thermostat do its thing but ignoring its internal sensor and using the remote sensor.
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBRandon View Post
I have a thermostat that sits on an exterior wall that is not well insulated. I know the real answer here is repair the insulation, but that is a way bigger undertaking.

It is a Trane XL624.

If I get a Z-wave temp sensor, is there a way to have the thermostat look at the remote z-wave sensor instead of it's internal? Could this be accomplished is "Associations?"

I'd rather not have to program events using the remote sensor as a trigger. Would like to simply have the thermostat do its thing but ignoring its internal sensor and using the remote sensor.
I'm pretty sure you can't "send" the internal temp to the 624. You would need to have a device that emulated a reistance.
The XL624 supports a wired remote sensor already so you just need to wire it up (maybe ). It wires to your RS terminals and you can program it to replace the internal sensor or just average with it. It should be noted in your Install manual.

Z
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasrc View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't "send" the internal temp to the 624. You would need to have a device that emulated a reistance.
The XL624 supports a wired remote sensor already so you just need to wire it up (maybe ). It wires to your RS terminals and you can program it to replace the internal sensor or just average with it. It should be noted in your Install manual.

Z
I'm aware of the wired sensor feature. Adding wire to where it is located is near impossible.

When I saw "associations" feature in HS3, it made me wonder if a z-wave temp sensor could be associated with the thermostat, and thus have the therm look at it instead of it's internal.
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBRandon View Post
I'm aware of the wired sensor feature. Adding wire to where it is located is near impossible.

When I saw "associations" feature in HS3, it made me wonder if a z-wave temp sensor could be associated with the thermostat, and thus have the therm look at it instead of it's internal.
Pretty sure you can't send anything other than setpoints to the thermostat.
Is the temp consistently off by X degrees?? If so, you could "re-calibrate" the internal temp sensor to compensate for the difference..

Z
Old August 10th, 2017, 10:19 AM
OverSeer

There are thermostats available that will take input from a remote sensor. (I have Ecobee3s that work very well with wireless remote sensors.) That's an expensive solution, though.

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old August 10th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasrc View Post
Pretty sure you can't send anything other than setpoints to the thermostat.
Is the temp consistently off by X degrees?? If so, you could "re-calibrate" the internal temp sensor to compensate for the difference..

Z
I can set offset, but the wall it is on is towards attic, so it's off more during the heat of the day, than at night after attic cools off. And then of course winter is opposite.

I'm looking into moving thermostat soon to a different wall that I can access. Would be about 5 feet away from current position, but on an interior wall. have to run new control wire.