Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
    Next question in this thread...

Is there support for any IR extenders other than Global Cache?
    There is a 3rd party Adicon Ocelot plugin that supports their zoned IR module as well as the Ocelot IR, both recognition and transmit. I use the plugin and the developer is very responsive.

That equipment is old but rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
      There is a 3rd party Adicon Ocelot plugin that supports their zoned IR module as well as the Ocelot IR, both recognition and transmit. I use the plugin and the developer is very responsive.

That equipment is old but rock solid.
      Thanks for the info on Ocelot. I've seen the name but always in reference to relays and contacts I wasn't aware they also did IR.

Comment

What you can take from Eman's post is that most things these days are controllable over your network and hence controllable by HS, with some work.

The only IR controlled device that I use is the projector, and that is controlled by a networked IR blaster (one of these https://www.keene.co.uk/infrared/ir-...le-single.html , but no doubt others are available).

I use HS to switch on the amp/projector/lower the screen and dim the lights, but I've found that media control is much better done with other software, mainly JRiver, but occasionally FireTV. HS used to have a JRiver plugin, but it was totally unusable for me, horrendously slow and never kept up with the pace of JRiver updates.

Comment

Well that's a rather LONG post to follow with a reply. Yet even after reading it many times I'm left with either making my own snarky response or just leaving it be. So I'm just going to leave it.

Well,

Likewise here I know when to loose a fight!
          Reminds me of this thread here : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=194736

Tip : If you like a poster's work on the left click on their name then Find all posts by that name ===> Easy Searching HomeSeer forums)

Most of those who answers question are not HomeSeer employees but do it out of help and experience trying to save you time and money. Might as well try this link here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=990

Adventures : Now to cut a long post short ===> In my the pursuit for perfection before the days of the iPAD, I once spent $3500 including shipping on a Universal Remote Control

and its base controller the MSC-400 back in the days! ===> These have changed now ====>$$$$$

That was my biggest waste of money on automation ===> Didn't reseach (RF==> US / Canada)
          Although I could use it, I could not easily connect it to HomeSeer! ===> Confined to my storage gathering dust!

............................. If Constellation for Kodi were ever to have it be connectable to Home Automation, would have solved my interest trying view and control my media and automation from one app. ====> But the developers are not interested. Now you could also try the likes of Crestron, Savant, Control 4 .......etc.

Eman.
          Last edited by Eman; April 24, 2018, 06:45 PM.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

So I've dug out an old Roku and it still works... and I just ordered a Flirc to provide an IR receiver to my PC with HS. Lets see if I can capture the IR from the roku remote and make something happen.
            If your HS3 PC is running on Windows, this may help: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192955
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              If your HS3 PC is running on Windows, this may help: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192955
              jon00 we are thinking along the same lines. I have a flirc on order, next is to find or buy a universal remote I can use. I was thinking of upgrading to a nicer Harmony Remote... so maybe. The harmony remote I have is the dumb remote that only works with the Hub.

I was also hanging around xda and they have tasker installed on fire tv. I'm gong to give that a try as well. If things at work stay slow today I might actually have some results this evening.

I'll play with the tasker on fire tv but I prefer a more agnostic approach which is why I like the IR setup especially as I'm seriously considering replacing the fire tv with a new Roku.

Comment

Whatever remote you use, several defined commands (such as pause, play, stop etc) can be also be recorded on the Flirc which can then trigger Homeseer events. Therefore your goal to turn up the lights when pausing a film is easily achieved!
                Jon

Comment

Whatever remote you use, several defined commands (such as pause, play, stop etc) can be also be recorded on the Flirc which can then trigger Homeseer events. Therefore your goal to turn up the lights when pausing a film is easily achieved!
                  Seems easy enough once I headed down the IR path.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe I invested more time than I should but hs3 controls all my a/v..... iR via 3rd party global cache plugin just works, Kodi via plugin..... Directv have a published http ip command set.... All integrated together in hstouch......it’s the most used part of our HS system....everything else is fully automated so it’s hidden. (We don’t count that as using it...)
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
                    BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
                    DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

Comment

I'm looking into the Global Cache route. IR makes things simple.

Update: I did get tasker patched and installed on Fire TV. However the normal state -> media -> play (or pause) didn't register anything to tasker. So I'm thinking I would have to use an app profile and trying to navigate tasker without a touchscreen (I did try different remote mouse apps) is not working... can't press the + button to add. So I'm taking a break from that as I'll have my Flirc tomorrow and I can mess with the IR stuff. Seriously looking to get a Roku anyways, it has native IR and a simple http api for control. Plus I can watch youtube on roku

Comment

I'm looking into the Global Cache route. IR makes things simple.

Update: I did get tasker patched and installed on Fire TV. However the normal state -> media -> play (or pause) didn't register anything to tasker. So I'm thinking I would have to use an app profile and trying to navigate tasker without a touchscreen (I did try different remote mouse apps) is not working... can't press the + button to add. So I'm taking a break from that as I'll have my Flirc tomorrow and I can mess with the IR stuff. Seriously looking to get a Roku anyways, it has native IR and a simple http api for control. Plus I can watch youtube on roku
                        There's also a handy Roku plugin you could use

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                          There's also a handy Roku plugin you could use

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
                          I know

I'll be testing it out soon (if it will work on my old Roku HD). If not it will wait until I get a new Roku Ultra.

Comment

Watching

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

This only works if your remote uses IR. All Rokus now a days use IP for control (even from their own remotes using wifi direct). About 95% of all TV watching in my house is currently done via a Roku (5 TVs, 5 Rokus, 5 Harmony hubs). It is my wish that Roku would smarten up and at least add web hooks for when content is playing, paused, stopped, but they just don't care to do it and to be honest, there is little market for it.

The biggest issue in the HA space today for big companies is that they consider Home "Automation" to just be control. Roku offers an API for external control and limited monitoring, but it doesn't go far enough for a true HA implementation.

Same goes for things like my TVs that have IP functionality, my Xbox One and so on.

I will say that I with my Roku was still controlled over IR via my hubs because I would use FLIRC and your plugin to do it without hesitation.

Comment

Working...
                              X