No announcement yet.

Multiple Topic - Home Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes here was reading an HDCP article from 2015. It was the first article that came up on my google search.

Wondering if new TV's are compatible with HDCP 2.3 that came out this year?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ok so how’s this - use the hdmi-cec single and you can remote control your htpc from your tv remote or you can use flirc with your harmony and do the same thing. No matter what app or media is streaming you’ll be able to stop start etc. You can then link your lighting that way. And you can integrate kodi with the plugin for more control.

Also think about what the point of it is. Like if you pause the movie is it because you’re getting up and if so to do what. Maybe you should use a hue motion sensor.

So many options here you could put a Kinect or webcam on the htpc and do it that way.

Comment

You can use the HA Bridge software posted elsewhere on this forum to link any harmony button to effectively send a Homeseer JSON command. I imagine it wouldn't be hard for the harmony to send both the device pause command, and then the Homeseer JSON control.

The HA Bridge software emulates the Hue Bridge, which the Harmony software discovers and adds to the Activity options. Gives you a lot of tinkering ability.

I'm using it to turn my fireplace on/off with the remote, but since the bridge just executes a JSON command you should be able to have it do practically anything, or simply use a virtual device to control events.

Another thought would be to create an Activity that just sends a pause command, I'm confident you can do that. I'm not confident you can tie an activity to a standard remote button, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Yes here was reading an HDCP article from 2015. It was the first article that came up on my google search.

Wondering if new TV's are compatible with HDCP 2.3 that came out this year?
          As far as I have read, HDCP 2.3 is still a draft specification. I don't know if it is already in TVs or if they can fix it in firmware. With HDCP 2.2 being defeated by Content Protection "Strippers" like those by HDFury, I know the studios and DCP are scrambling to stop them. The problem with implementing 2.3 is that it will obsolete every 4K TV made so far, or at the very least, break them until a firmware update fixes it. Since it didn't take long for 2.2 to be defeated, 2.3 will not likely do anything but inconvenience consumers.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Here utilize Kodi running on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit (appliance like) on an Intel CPU (Aopen Digital Engine). You can run Kodi on Android or Windows too.

Recently started to use Roku (Amazon and Netflix) that was integrated in a new LCD TV.

I have decided to use it on demand shutting off the NIC port when not using it.

This mostly because I was getting Roku pop ups on my LCD TV when watching Kodi Video streams.

Aux HDMI inputs go through Pioneer AVR to one HDMI port on television. Aux HDMI is DTV, Blueray player (no Ethernet connection) and Kodi plus now Roku.
            The Roku or Fire TV is the part of the puzzle I'm fighting with. I was checking specs and the Roku still has an IR receiver, so I'm thinking I can scan the Roku codes and have another IR receiver in the same area but connected to the HS server to also pick up the Roku IR codes and then perform an action on them... I ordered a flirc for the server we'll find out soon enough.

Still checking in regards to Fire Tv. I've seen mixed results with the Fire TV server it's hit or miss and reports of lag and other problems. I get the feeling Amazon isn't liking people side loading servers on the Fire TV. I did see it was possible to use an OTG USB cable to attach a IR receiver though... ordered that as well to test.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
              I looked at the roku.py. they are basically saying if the current app is not home, a screensaver or "none", the media state is playing.

This won't fit your needs, bit I only did a cursory glance on my phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
              Thanks Frank. I looked through the Fire TV Server code as well and it's very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                You can use the HA Bridge software posted elsewhere on this forum to link any harmony button to effectively send a Homeseer JSON command. I imagine it wouldn't be hard for the harmony to send both the device pause command, and then the Homeseer JSON control.

The HA Bridge software emulates the Hue Bridge, which the Harmony software discovers and adds to the Activity options. Gives you a lot of tinkering ability.

I'm using it to turn my fireplace on/off with the remote, but since the bridge just executes a JSON command you should be able to have it do practically anything, or simply use a virtual device to control events.

Another thought would be to create an Activity that just sends a pause command, I'm confident you can do that. I'm not confident you can tie an activity to a standard remote button, however.
                SEE now this is what forums are good for. I had forgotten about HA-Bridge and it can integrate with Harmony. Time to go do some more poking around with it.

Comment

I dug into this and it will do a lot of things and I'll probably use a lot of this and integrate HA-Bridge into the grand scheme of things. I found a couple issues.

Assigned "smart control" overwrites existing key. So won't work for play/pause on harmony. I can use ha-bridge to expose homeseer devices through hue emulation to harmony but the key overwriting is a problem.

The good part is any un-assigned key can be mapped to almost any action say to a virtual switch and then endless possibilities of chaining events together.

I also played with the Fire TV Server and although it provides state information it's on a polling basis. I'd have to setup a script to poll every second to try and catch the mystical "what-if" someone hits pause to get up and go pee after that super big gulp! Ahh well the hunt is part of the fun!

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                    I dug into this and it will do a lot of things and I'll probably use a lot of this and integrate HA-Bridge into the grand scheme of things. I found a couple issues.

Assigned "smart control" overwrites existing key. So won't work for play/pause on harmony. I can use ha-bridge to expose homeseer devices through hue emulation to harmony but the key overwriting is a problem.
                    I looked into it a bit as well as the question piqued my curiosity. It's a bit kludgy. It appears smart control buttons can only be assigned to specific keys (and only on remotes that support it, I have 2 that have smart control buttons and 1 that does not). If you're OK with those key assignments, then you can overcome the issue by simply having Homeseer send the pause command (I'm assuming you have one of the 3 Harmony Hub plugins).

So, short press of harmony button triggers device, which triggers event, which sends pause and controls lights.

Long press does the reverse.

Activities are another option you can explore. With the hard button remote it's again a bit of a kludge, but if you have free activity buttons you could do this:

Build an activity that turns on the Homeseer (fake Hue) device. Add a step to send the pause, or follow the same process as above.

Build a second activity to turn off the Homeseer device. Again add pause or manage via Homeseer.

Assign the 2 activities to short/long press on an activity button.

Note that the activity route may require you to change power control options in your device settings. This is an option in the Harmony app. The default is to keep all devices not involved in an activity turned off. That option won't work for my suggestions above for obvious reasons, you would need to select "leave everything on unless I press the off activity button" or some similar description.

As you (and others) have mentioned some of these kludges would not be an issue if you move away from the simple harmony remote with hard buttons.

I can appreciate the simplicity of the remote however, I've elected not to use any harmony remote with a touchscreen, and I rarely use the mobile app as a remote. Obviously the app would also solve the physical button limitations.

It's too bad the harmony app won't allow you to assign home control devices or activities to any button on the remote.

I'm assuming the hybrid touchscreen versions don't have this limitation on the touchscreen buttons.

Comment

I looked into it a bit as well as the question piqued my curiosity. It's a bit kludgy. It appears smart control buttons can only be assigned to specific keys (and only on remotes that support it, I have 2 that have smart control buttons and 1 that does not). If you're OK with those key assignments, then you can overcome the issue by simply having Homeseer send the pause command (I'm assuming you have one of the 3 Harmony Hub plugins).

So, short press of harmony button triggers device, which triggers event, which sends pause and controls lights.

Long press does the reverse.

Activities are another option you can explore. With the hard button remote it's again a bit of a kludge, but if you have free activity buttons you could do this:

Build an activity that turns on the Homeseer (fake Hue) device. Add a step to send the pause, or follow the same process as above.

Build a second activity to turn off the Homeseer device. Again add pause or manage via Homeseer.

Assign the 2 activities to short/long press on an activity button.

Note that the activity route may require you to change power control options in your device settings. This is an option in the Harmony app. The default is to keep all devices not involved in an activity turned off. That option won't work for my suggestions above for obvious reasons, you would need to select "leave everything on unless I press the off activity button" or some similar description.

As you (and others) have mentioned some of these kludges would not be an issue if you move away from the simple harmony remote with hard buttons.

I can appreciate the simplicity of the remote however, I've elected not to use any harmony remote with a touchscreen, and I rarely use the mobile app as a remote. Obviously the app would also solve the physical button limitations.

It's too bad the harmony app won't allow you to assign home control devices or activities to any button on the remote.

I'm assuming the hybrid touchscreen versions don't have this limitation on the touchscreen buttons.
                      I think I've beaten this horse to the ground now. I went as far as ripping and patching and sideloading tasker onto my Fire TV to see if I could capture the pause. No luck.

It would seem that with as much as these companies are getting involved into "Smart Home" stuff they would think about this type of scenario. I saw on Amazon today Harmony has a new package out of a new remote/hub combo and the Remote has dedicated "Smart Home" buttons. One was a light bulb icon. But I'm sure they still only turn on/off/dim etc with a single button which we all can do already. Oh well back to the basics and actually a more interesting project anyways.

I'm turning my attention to IR and looking to get a Global Cache or another IR solution that integrates well with HS.

Comment

Current Setup is very simple

1. TV

2. Fire TV

3. Game Systems

4. Harmony Hub

Currently using Harmony Hub for basic activity switching. I want to take this further. With Harmony, yeah I have the lights lower and raise when an activity starts or ends. Great. I want full integration when a movie is paused then the lights go up 50% and then play lights go back down. I can't get that with Harmony. So I was thinking of EventGhost. The larger question is what software to then run with it?

From the Fire TV we have the usual suspects, Amazon Video/Prime, Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, and of course Plex

I can deal out the PC specs, but I would like suggestions on the software side and good integration with HS.

Candidates:

1. Kodi

2. JRiver

3. ???? Ideas what else is out there and good for PC can interface with a remote and Looks good on a TV (customization is a plus)

Comment

I've read that about GC several times now. I've began putting together my shopping list for GC boxes and cables (not sure if I want the wired ethernet version or wifi... I prefer hard wired though). Also a few Flirc's for PC's and for Fire TV (thinking of replacing with Roku though). I also need a new IR remote so I'll probably pick up a Harmony 650 or 665.

Comment

I've read that about GC several times now. I've began putting together my shopping list for GC boxes and cables (not sure if I want the wired ethernet version or wifi... I prefer hard wired though). Also a few Flirc's for PC's and for Fire TV (thinking of replacing with Roku though). I also need a new IR remote so I'll probably pick up a Harmony 650 or 665.
                            My general rule, if it sits in one place and never moves: hardwire it... ALWAYS!

My wireless is reserved for thing that just don't have Ethernet (stupid harmony hub and Nest) or things that move around (laptops, phones, etc).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X