Eero WiFi system... WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eero WiFi system... WOW

Just wanted to share my experience with the Eero Wifi system. https://eero.com/.

First, I'd like to say I have NO affiliation/contact/friendship with anybody or anything associated with this company. I'm simply a customer like anybody else. With that out of the way...

I've had spotty WiFi in and around my house for years. I've always blamed it on the amount of Insteon, Z-wave and other various electronics I have in the house. I've even purchased the expensive routers without much luck. I finally got decent coverage with my wifi router in the center of my house, a second router bridged in my detached garage and a third wifi extender to cover some of the yard/deck area. Each device sent a separate wifi network name, so we would have to hope the phone/tablet took care of it but most of the time we would have to reconnect to what was closest to us. What a pain!

Well today that is over! Woohoo! Yup, I'm a grown man and I'll yelling WOOHOO! This morning I got in the mail (amazon) a 3-pack of the Eero Wifi System. I went around and disconnected all 3 of my patch work wifi system and threw them in a drawer. Within 10 minutes I had my first Eero setup and running. I used the same wifi network name as my main router had used (as eero recommended), instantly things started to connect to it! I then went and hooked up the second and third in pretty much the same spots the old system was in. BAM, everything just works! I now have complete coverage of my main house, detached garage and all around my pool/yard/deck. I'd say I'm getting twice the coverage I was getting before and now it all has only ONE wifi network name. It does all the switching for you. I walked all around the yard and in the two buildings and it never skipped a beat.

I currently have 18 devices connected to it and everything is FAST. Much faster than my old netgear/tp-link stuff. Example, last night we were having some trouble sending the Olympics from the tablet to the Chromecast...kept dropping the signal. Not now, nice clean smooth signal.

Well enough rambling. Bottom line...If your looking to upgrade your wireless signal, take a long look at Eero. I'm very glad I did!
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Bryan;

I appreciate your sharing. Glad it worked well for you. If it works and you are happy, that's all that matters.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Bryan;

I appreciate your sharing. Glad it worked well for you. If it works and you are happy, that's all that matters.
      +1
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

My house is hard wired and WiFi, but I can't figure out how to hard wire my Android Tablets or my Cell Phone. I guess I need WiFi. In fact my WiFI devices don't have an ethernet port.
        Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
        | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
        Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
        BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Thank you for sharing Bryan.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bryan;

Randy, if I recall your using "Ubiquiti" as your WiFi solution can you share what your Pro's and Con's are with this product? Also how many Ethernet ports are supported for hardwired devices? I'm interested in updating my own situation and think going with a Mesh WiFi is the right solution but which product is the best..
            • Netgear Pro Orbi
            • Linksys Velop Tri-band AC6600
            • Ubiquiti’s AmpliFi HD
            • eero Pro Home Wi-Fi System

thanxs in advance Mike

UPDATE: Well I've just found an in depth review on Amazon.com for a little light reading...
            A.A.S
            5.0 out of 5 stars
            Eero VS Orbi, Velop, Amplifi HD and Google Wifi - Eero still on top!
            July 19, 2017
            Style: 3 eeros (5+ bedrooms)
            This is long updated review on 6 different wifi systems and why we picked and are still using Eero. We were very happy with the 1st Gen Eero system and just upgraded to 2nd Gen with 2 beacons and wanted to share our experience to end wifi issues/dead spots in our home. This is our overall experience and perhaps it will help you with your decision.

WIFI SYSTEMS PURCHASED:
            Orbi, Velop, Amplifi HD, Google Wifi, 1st Gen Eero and 2nd Gen Eero with 2 beacons

3000Sq Ft Townhome with at least 45 devices connected at any time. 3D printers, Sonos players in every room and outdoors, Phillips Hue, Amazon Dots, Ooma, Smart TV’s, IOS/Android phones, tablets and computers, Apple Tvs, 10+ POE 4MP Security cameras, Ring/Chime devices and the list goes on. Work remotely so lots of video calls, exchanging, uploading, downloading and working on design files online. My Little Pony and a bevy of others streamed for the little one via Netflix/Hulu etc. ISP is Comcast with 200mbps down and 10mbps up. Wifi dense community of townhomes with lots of interference which affect signal penetration. This was the place where Wifi went to die!

SITUATION:
            Started with Comcast router/modem then tried Comcast modem with Netgear X6, Comcast modem with Netgear X8, Arris SB6190 with Netgear X8 and Netgear extender. Signal was great close to the modem/router but the further away you moved service degraded quite rapidly in our home. Also multiple SSID were a huge pain. Enter the wave of Wifi systems. We researched different products and read reviews on multiple sites. Reviews were too close so we bought the top 6 systems for real life testing in our home.

CRITERIA:
            We bought these test systems with no promotions and no promises of a good review. We established simple criteria for our testing:
            1) Product design
            2) System setup
            3) Ethernet wired backhaul
            4) Firmware updates
            5) System app
            6) Customer service
            7) Seamless roaming
            8) Throughput/signal strength
            9) Conclusion
            We ranked the systems from 1st to 6th under each criteria. Here are our results.

PRODUCT DESIGN:
            The designs are in different directions. The Orbi is the largest with an industrial design direction. Eero is the shortest an has an Apple-lesque minimal design. The new beacons are much better designed and inconspicuous when compared tot he Amplifi beacons. The nightlight is a welcomed additional feature. The Amplifi main units has a cool techy feel to it with a main unit with a bright LCD screen but thats where the design stopped because the satellite units have a quirky magnetic design - A child magnet because my daughter was always trying to adjust them for us. Google was just simple and quite unassuming. Velop had a modern feel/look to it. We found ourselves drawn to the simple clean design of the Eeros because they blended easily with our decor. (See images) However design is so subjective that it depends on what you like.

Ranking: (1st) Eero 2nd and 1st Gen (2nd) Velop (3rd) Google (4th) Orbi (5th) Amplifi

SYSTEM SETUP:
            We set them up using an iPhone 7 Plus except for the Orbi which we used an iMac. We maintained the same room/general location main/satellite units for testing. Orbi setup is through the internet and that was easy and fast and it found the satellites with no issues. Eero set up was easy via the app and it found the satellites with no issues. We had to reposition the Google, Amplifi and Velop satellites during the initial setup for the main units to “see” them - (See Customer service section). After setup we plugged ethernet cables into the Velop, Google and Eero satellites to maximize performance. Orbi and Amplifi do not have this feature. Overall the setup for each 3 unit pack took less than 10mins for Eero/Orbi and less than 30mins for the rest. The 2nd Gen Eero with the updated software have the quickest setup till date. Even better than the previous Eero. Standouts here are Orbi and Eero because set up was simple and straight forward. However the edge goes to Eero due to how simple it was to set up with the app.

Ranking: (1st) Eero 2nd and 1st Gen (2nd) Orbi (3rd) Velop (4th) Google (5th) Amplifi

ETHERNET WIRED BACKHAUL:
            The best connection is a wired connection so we wanted a system with the opportunity to hard wire the satellites. Orbi and Amplifi HD don't support wired backhaul. Amplifi HD uses a portion of its bandwidth to communicate between router and satelllite. Orbi has a dedicated band for its communication. Google Wifi, Velop and Eero support ethernet backhaul so you can hardwire all the units. These systems also work wirelessly. With the 2nd Gen Eero you can only have a wired connection with the main unit. The beacons only work wirelessly. Surprisingly the 2nd Gen beacons work better than the 1st Gen - Much better.. (See throughput/Signal section)

Ranking: (1st) Eero 2nd and 1st Gen (2nd) Google (3rd)Velop. Other 2 systems do not offer ethernet backhaul

FIRMWARE UPDATES:
            This is the method employed by the manufacturer to improv and add features to your wifi system. With all the systems you have to update them with the latest software out of the box. Orbi was the most difficult because We had to download the update then apply it - It did not work for us the normal way. Velop, Amplifi and Eero worked in the normal way through their respective apps. After the initial firmware update they all updated automatically. This a splendid feature and how new and improved services are added to your wifi systems. Firmware notes and descriptions are always available on the manufacturer website.

Ranking: Even across the board

SYSTEM APP:
            The app is where you interact with and glean all the information about your network and devices. Orbi has an app but its basically worthless and you have to use a net based portal to really access and customize the system. Next is the Amplifi app which at the time of testing wasn't so great. Google, Velop and Eero have the most user friendly apps. You can access your system remotely to control all available features. We are not complex users so advanced features like port forwarding etc etc were not a huge selling point to us. Features we looked for in the app were quality of service, devices connections, which nodes were connected to what device, signal strength to each device, guest access, network diagnosis, number of devices connected (easy way to see what device is actually on your network and what device should not be on your network), pausing internet/blocking devices, built in speed tests, device priority setting and device seamless roaming from node to node. With all this in mind Eero App was the winner hands down. The app was well laid out, information was easily visible and accessible and that made it a joy to use

Ranking: (1st) Eero (2nd) Google (3rd)Velop (4th) Amplifi (5th) Orbi

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
            With new tech there is always the possibility of issues so going in we knew we might have to deal with potential issues and were ready. We had to spend a couple of hours with each companies customer service for different issues even after the set up process went well. Velop and Orbi customer service appears to be offshore and we had a difficult time explaining and understanding what they were saying and it sounded like they were reading from scripts. Amplifi customer service was through chats and that really did not help much. Google Wifi customer was decent and they are in the US. We were unable to improve the performance in our home and they were sold out so we could not get a replacement. Eero service was and is still light years ahead of the others and they are in the US. We were able to speak with, understand and formulate a plan for our specific situation. It did not feel as if they were reading from scripts but more trying to understand our issue, troubleshoot and resolve. They followed up with calls and emails to make sure our issues were addressed. We felt that if we had any issues in the future we knew who to call. With the 2nd Gen we did not need to contact customer service as everything went smoothly.

Ranking: (1st) Eero (2nd) Google (3rd)Amplifi (4th) Orbi (5th) Velop

SEAMLESS ROAMING:
            A major selling point of Wifi systems is seamless roaming/handover between nodes. Basically as you move through your home/office the systems connects your device to the node that is closest or the one that gives it the best signal. Its actually fun to watch the switch offer through the app. Theoretically Orbi, Amplifi and Velop state that your devices switch between nodes for best service but offer no way to view the transitions. No way for you to see what node you a device is connected to at any time. This is another area where Google and Eero outshine the competition. Both apps tell you which node your device is connected to. However Eero goes a few steps further and shows you what band is being used, signal strength of connected node and activity levels. As the signal strength weakens (goes from 5 green bars to 1 red bar) you can watch as the devices switches to the next node. Eero unleashed new software and it shines with the 2nd Gen. The switches are quicker and smoother. It was fun watching as Eero switched nodes as we moved from room to room. We actually turned that into a game to see which node would step up and take over.

Ranking: (1st) Eero 2nd Gen (2nd) Eero 1st Gen (3rd) Google. Other 3 systems did not offer the ability to monitor

THROUGHPUT/SIGNAL STRENGTH:
            With our old units we had lots of inconsistent signals and loss of speed. We pay for 200 down and 10 up and old systems never even got close. All 5 systems tested improved upon our situation. From last to first we would rank them as follows. 5) Google Wifi never gave us more than 50% of upload speeds. 4) Amplifi gave us about the same as Google wifi. 3) Velop was not consistent and varied between 50% and 96%. 2) Orbi was also inconsistent and varied between 70% and 100%. 1) Eero provided 100-120% consistently however the new system with the beacons provided 110 - 135% consistently. Even though we got signal improvements with all the units the differentiator was “consistency of signal, speed and connection”. Hands down best performer were both Eero systems. We got consistent speeds at each node and at all corners of our home. The Eero system with the beacons connected slightly faster. Unlike Orbi and Velop the Eero systems did not cut in and out or have lapses of slow speed. They were also consistently faster than all the other units.

Ranking: (1st) Eero 2nd and 1st Gen (2nd) Orbi (3rd) Velop (4th) Amplifi (5th) Google

EERO VS EERO
            The 2nd Gen was slightly faster, smoother, quicker to set up. However the main difference here is ethernet ports. The first generation 3 pack has a total of 6 ports - 2 on each unit. The newer system has just 2 ports on the main unit and no ports on the beacons. If you need ports at ever Eero location the new version with beacons will not work for you. If most of your devices are wired and you need a stronger consistent Wifi signal then the newer units perform better than the first and will be great. The Eero pro with 3 units would be the best of both worlds and we have that on order and will update the review when we get that. We switched from the 1st Gen to the 2nd Gen because we have most of our devices wired and just needed a strong wifi system. The new system with the beacons are much stronger than the old 3 pack system. In our home the beacon system is so strong that we won't need to add more whereas we added extra units of the 1st generation

We have switched from using our 5 1st Gen to 3 2nd Gen Eeros (Eero and 2 beacons). We included images of our Eero locations (Gen 1 and 2) as well as size compared icon for the beacons and the night light feature. We also included images showing the differences between the 1st and 2nd Gen main units. 2nd Gen has a physical reset button and now charges with USB C. The beacons once plugged in are basically inconspicuous. We now only use 1 main unit and 2 beacons. Awesome!

CONCLUSION:
            For our home we ended up with an Eero system because it won in all the categories that mattered to us. We loved the minimal design, easy set up, wired ethernet backhaul, fluid app, seamless roaming and customer service Eero provided. In real life use in our home Eero (1st or 2nd) just worked with no complications. This is our Eero experience in our setting. Now all of us can do what ever we want with wifi anywhere in and outside our home. We hope the review will help you and we will help with questions you may have. Eero gets a full recommendation from us. Hands down the best overall system out there by far. Great job Eero!!
            Last edited by MNB; January 27, 2018, 11:27 AM.
            Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
            Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
            HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

@TechHA, sounds like a nice product. I am glad it worked out for you. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw your post and the edit including the Amazon review. I am using all Ubiquiti, but not the AmpliFi mesh. I am using:
                • UAP-AC-LR access point
                • UAP-AC-PRO access point
                • US-48-750W switch
                • USG gateway
                • Cloud Key Controller
                It is the best system I have ever used. The speed is totally consistent, coverage is excellent, reliability is perfect so far and management is easy.

I have no experience with any mesh system, but handoff between the APs in the UniFi system is seamless on all devices. A single UAP-AC-LR will cover our entire house, but I added two UAP-AC-PRO APs to get coverage outside the house.

It was a little more money than I would have liked to have spent, but for the first time in a long time everything just works. All wireless devices connect anywhere and stay connected everywhere. Wireless devices like our SkyBell, weather station and Echos never drop connections. Sonos is now on a pure WiFi network and can stream FLAC audio files without issue. Wired connections are equally robust. We have quite a few full hd security cameras running at 8 FPS 24/7 and we can serve up ISOs from 2 Blu-ray rips simultaneously or stream 2 4K videos at once. My wife even noticed that her devices (iPads and Windows laptop) always have Internet. Even my iPad consistently gets speeds in excess of 150MB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1195014

Comment

I saw your post and the edit including the Amazon review. I am using all Ubiquiti, but not the AmpliFi mesh. I am using:
                  • UAP-AC-LR access point
                  • UAP-AC-PRO access point
                  • US-48-750W switch
                  • USG gateway
                  • Cloud Key Controller
                  It is the best system I have ever used. The speed is totally consistent, coverage is excellent, reliability is perfect so far and management is easy.
                  @Randy, as always your wealth of knowledge... question to you, if you were planning to update today would you still stay with you current solution or would move over to the mesh systems?

As I'm not familiar with your equipment setup I will have to go away and do some on-line research, thanxs Mike

UPDATE: I had a chance to look at your system.. looks like definitely high end equipment and is rack mountable slices, the one thing that I found interesting is that the Gateway or router equivalent seemed to be rather plain/simple with minimal ports but then other than having the router functions it wouldn't need to look like commercial Wi-Fi routers that would also have antenna where as in your setup the AP are the said antenna which makes it a more distributed system.. of course you had to throw a rock into my preverbal technical problem now I will have to rethink the paradigm.. Distributed vs Mesh so many moving parts! Mike
                  Last edited by MNB; January 27, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
                    @Randy, as always your wealth of knowledge... question to you, if you were planning to update today would you still stay with you current solution or would move over to the mesh systems?

As I'm not familiar with your equipment setup I will have to go away and do some on-line research, thanxs Mike

UPDATE: I had a chance to look at your system.. looks like definitely high end equipment and is rack mountable slices, the one thing that I found interesting is that the Gateway or router equivalent seemed to be rather plain/simple with minimal ports but then other than having the router functions it wouldn't need to look like commercial Wi-Fi routers that would also have antenna where as in your setup the AP are the said antenna which makes it a more distributed system.. of course you had to throw a rock into my preverbal technical problem now I will have to rethink the paradigm.. Distributed vs Mesh so many moving parts! Mike
                    I would go the same route again in a heartbeat.
                    The gateway really only uses 2 ports - WAN in and LAN out. It takes care of firewall, port forwarding, static routing, DHCP, VLAN, etc. The controller works in conjunction with the USG for DHCP reservations and also provides substantial information about the entire network. It can give statistics about devices, ports, speeds, etc. The real beauty is that I can drill down from a network device to find out the AP or switch port it is connected to, data usage, POE usage, etc. While I have been conscientious about keeping a written road map of my network, with Ubiquiti it is really unimportant.

It is the right choice for me due to the large number of wired devices I have. In a system more biased toward WiFi, the mesh solutions might be easier and cleaner.

Comment

I would go the same route again in a heartbeat.
                      The gateway really only uses 2 ports - WAN in and LAN out. It takes care of firewall, port forwarding, static routing, DHCP, VLAN, etc. The controller works in conjunction with the USG for DHCP reservations and also provides substantial information about the entire network. It can give statistics about devices, ports, speeds, etc. The real beauty is that I can drill down from a network device to find out the AP or switch port it is connected to, data usage, POE usage, etc. While I have been conscientious about keeping a written road map of my network, with Ubiquiti it is really unimportant.

It is the right choice for me due to the large number of wired devices I have. In a system more biased toward WiFi, the mesh solutions might be easier and cleaner.
                      Randy,

I have the ubiquity edge router lite (erl) (same hardware as the usg, but different firmware and form factor). I just got an unifi ap-ac-pro to compliment an older uap-lr. I have been debating going to the usg, but it's somewhat limited compare to the erl and actually costs more (over time the Gap is closing as they update the firmware and controller). That said I got the cloud key and the idea of managing everything from one interface is VERY appealing so is pushing me further to the usg even though there is nothing wrong with the erl. The only issue with going all Unifi for me is my requirements for my switch is that it has to fit in my leviton smc. Currently I have a 24 port one in there that is only about 12" across or so and fits perfectly. I wish Ubiquity would make one in this form factor (don't need the Poe for that one but wouldn't mind it).

No matter what, I strongly recommend the Ubiquity Unifi stuff. It's all amazing. If you can wire the APs back to a main switch it is worth it. I considered the Amplifier, but since I didn't really want the mesh I skipped it.

And you're right. It "just works". I plan on getting another ap-ac-pro and one of their out door mesh APs (unifi-mesh) for outside since there are completely weatherproof. The mesh one's can be used as just access points and it's under $100 so worth it to me.

I'm also going to get some of their long range point to point and set up a site to site to my mom's house 2 streets over (at most 600' away) so she can ditch her internet and have better access to my plex library.

Sorry for the rambling but just can't enough about Ubiquity equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                        I'm also going to get some of their long range point to point and set up a site to site to my mom's house 2 streets over (at most 600' away) so she can ditch her internet and have better access to my plex library.

Sorry for the rambling but just can't enough about Ubiquity equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
                        I appreciate the inputs as it helps those of us who are trying to determine how to proceed.

Question: the Long range point to point solution, what is the max distance? I too have a situate - a barn with a camera that I would like to get it's images broad casted to the main house. I'm assuming that would consist of two UAP-AC-LR access points at both ends? Is there an alignment required or is it an Omni transmission? thanxs Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
                          I appreciate the inputs as it helps those of us who are trying to determine how to proceed.

Question: the Long range point to point solution, what is the max distance? I too have a situate - a barn with a camera that I would like to get it's images broad casted to the main house. I'm assuming that would consist of two UAP-AC-LR access points at both ends? Is there an alignment required or is it an Omni transmission? thanxs Mike
                          Not really AP-AC-LRs but that may work (may not, depending on the distance). they actually see mono-directional site to site antennas for doing site to site. I am looking into these:

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/litebeam-ac-gen2/

They are $66 on Amazon, so 2 is just over $130. I've read someone has used them as far as 3.7km (~12000'). They use a proprietary signal from what I understand, so they are only good for point to point. The range might be overkill for my use, but I'm hoping the power will let it cut through any obstacles between us (there are some big oaks that might cause an issue, I'm not sure yet).

Comment

Eero WiFi system... WOW

Originally posted by MNB
                            @Bryan, Me thinks you're taking this way too personally [emoji6] I too am trying to figure out which of these Mesh Wi-Fi solutions is the best before I layout my hard earned cash and make an informed decision rather than my usual impulse purchases..[emoji57] I believe that there is a vast knowledge and experience base within the forum that only needs the right questions to be asked... That's why I found and posted a Amazon review to solicit a conversation as to others experiences with their Wi-Fi Solutions that might be different than the amazon experience and assessments.

As to the observations that hardwired is better than Wi-Fi me thinks that is now becoming a narrowing of the speed gap as the technology is improving. Also not all homes can be hardwired for a myriad of reasons so your original premise as to a Wi-Fi solution is still valid and deserves a pro/con based on user experiences/discussions (MTC). Mike

Question to the community has anyone connected a satellite router to any of these Wi-Fi solutions and if so what did you have to do to make serial routers work with each other?
                            Last edited by Kerat; January 28, 2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I noticed recently my one of my Asus Router's SW upgrade added a Mesh config called AI Mesh. I've become a fan of Asus in recent years. That new router that looks like an Alien Spacecraft, and the ROG Laptop that's on my dreamlist and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X