No announcement yet.

z-NET V1 vs V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Z-Wave GPIO board be purchased for a backup? $?

Here DIY'd my original Zee / USB Z-Wave stick to a Zee 2 and used a Z-Wave dot me GPIO card.

It's been a couple of years now and it has been working fine.

Thinking these are around $50?

Not sure that Homeseer sells the Z-Wave GPIO cards a la carte.

Only issues that I have had with the RPi related to hardware has been with the original SD card which was upgraded in the very beginning of the original Zee.

The "power budget" for Pi3B was posted as: 1A for the SoC/RAM, 0.3A for WiFi/BT, and 1.2A for full powered to USB.

The new RPi3 comes with a 2.5 AMP PS and draws about 700 mA typically. There have been issues with the RPi in general when drawing too much power from the USB ports.
    Last edited by Pete; May 8, 2017, 01:01 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
      Can a Z-Wave GPIO board be purchased for a backup? $?
      Thanks!
      Sorry no. We don't sell those separately.
      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Here repurposed my old Zee-2 (with Z-Wave GPIO card / PiFace RTC shim) to a linux only ZNet like device and moved the original Zee OS over to a Pine64 2Gb machine running 64bit Ubuntu.

The old Zee-2 (RPi2) sits in the attic and is POE connected today. I also added a small USB 1-wire stick to it for temperature/ humidity stuff in the attic.

For Homeseer Z-Wave preference here is to utilize a single purpose ZNet with a GPIO card in it over using a USB stick (that is me). You could install the ZNet anywhere with a POE connection.

I have replicated the Homeseer Z-Wave network over to the Leviton Z-Wave VRCOP (note that the VRCOP only works for locks, units and thermostats) in the basement and it works fine (except for status).
        Last edited by Pete; May 8, 2017, 01:37 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          The original Z-Net was a Pi 2. The V2 firmware was released initially on a Pi 2 board, but toward the end of July last year, Z-Nets started shipping with a Pi 3 board. As zwolfpack stated the V2 firmware (software) is based on a newer Rasbian release and will run on any Z-Net. The V2 will support the built in WiFi on the Pi 3.

I had two of the original Z-Nets since the beta release and purchased one of the Pi3 based units in July last year. I changed out the Pi board on the 2 older units replacing the Pi2 with a Pi3 on both. I am running V2 software on all three. I also ditched the Transcend SD cards for high quality SanDisk cards. I had 3 separate SD card corruptions in the first year of running the 2 original Z-Nets. Rumor has it that the Pi3 is less prone to that corruption, though I do not know that to be a fact.
          Running this configuration since September last year with 0 problems with any of the 3 Z-Nets.
          So I can upgrade my znets to a ver3?

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            Actually, the original Z-NET was based on the Pi-1 B+ board. When supplies of that board dried up, we moved to the Pi-2 board. When those supplies dried up, we went to the Pi-3 board. The only feature change of any consequence is the Pi-3 board does have built-in WiFi. Otherwise, each revision uses the same 500 series Z-Wave module and the Z-Wave performance has remained essentially the same. The "V2" designation denotes the image that runs on the Pi-2/3 boards.
            How can I tell what version of Z-NET I have? I bought two of them back in April 2015.

Comment

I think for version 1, it state that wireless adapter not installed when you browse it. I believe v2 has it built in. You're most likely V1 as I bought mine in April of 2016 and that's what it is... Still working great!

EDIT: See post #2
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post

How can I tell what version of Z-NET I have? I bought two of them back in April 2015.
                See post #1 - the first image is a V1; it says "ZNET Configuration". Second image is a V2; it says "ZNET V2 Configuration".

Comment

Wow this thread is still going! The timing on this is perfect as I just bought new z-net’s the other day to replace my existing ones (the ones I originally started this thread about).

I have been having strange issues with one and decided to upgrade them all. I noticed the z-wave SDK and API versions are now newer. Not sure what that means, if anything....

Though one of the new replacement z-net’s I purchased had to be returned as it was sporadically failing to communicate to a zwave dimmer switch 1ft away.

Comment

Working...
                  X