Apple Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Tablet

Supposedly Apple will be releasing a tablet in the near future. Wouldn't this be a great product to use HSTouch with or is it just me? It would be thin, excellent touch scree, nice looking. If someone comes up with a good bezel for it, it would make a great wall mount as well.

If it's like all other Apple products you would be able to buy 2 or more of another brand for the same costs and the OS's wouldn't be proprietary.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Well, you get what you pay for. It may have the iPhone OS on it, in which case HSTouch should be easily incorporated.

Comment

the "iTablet" has been rumored to come out for over 2 years now. I will only believe it when it officially drops like with any other Apple product.

Comment

Originally posted by aslamma View Post
          Well, you get what you pay for. It may have the iPhone OS on it, in which case HSTouch should be easily incorporated.
          And sometimes what you pay for is an overinflated "NAME"

I'm not going to discard the apple tablet until I own a few of them It's likely that we'll be able to run a variant of HSTouch at some point.

However as with every single apple product there are features they have left out which almost seem on purpose.

Why the heck can't I change the battery for a replacement, on most new Apple products. I suspect the the iTablet will have this same "flaw". If it's running the iphone os, it probably won't do multitasking which is a big mistake for a device that's rumored to cost over $700. As people will expect it to work as well as any netbook they can already get for half that price.

The list goes on, but as with all apple products, they WILL restrict you from doing something that we all would like to do, or just doesn't make sense to people who are power users of technology.

Ipod touch 1st gen = low screen res, no speaker, no gps, no camera, no USB connectivity without itunes, no bluetooth, no cut and paste etc... some of those things they addressed in the second generation or firmware after several years of people complaining. Then you have some weird stuff going on like iphone not able to do video recording with it's camera, not able to multitask, not able to install apps without their approval, not able to connect to tether data connection (funny ATT lets you do it with other devices), etc etc etc... My rant will go on forever if I keep complaining. On that note, I still have 5 or 6 apple products in my house Mostly because the stuff you CAN do works pretty darn well. It does come at a price both financial and frustration to power users.

I will be willing to bet there are things about the tablet that make it a really cool, sexy, useful device, but there will also be people like me who complain as well. Like it will likely NOT have a memory expansion (SD or the like), It will likely not have a front facing camera and microphone (Seem like the perfect sell if they want to sell a million of these, build in a skype like video chat that works with other iTablets) Frankly for $700-$800 or more it Better have that stuff since you can do that all just fine on a $300 netbook (minus the touchscreen) Will you be able to write on this thing with a stylus? How good will the keyboard be for typing? will it support an external bluetooth keyboard? Will it even have blue tooth, speakers, HD video out, 3g? There are just so many questions unanswered and we just aren't going to get them until they finally want us to know.
          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

As far as the rumors, yeah there may have been talks about it years ago, but it was obvious it would be a ways out. Now it looks like we may not be far out.

Zimmer, Overpriced? Maybe. However, their products have a very high user approval rating, regardless of its shortcomings. Is there a better gage. I have been a PC guy since 3.1, but it has been a total beating. I don't have a Mac, but my next machine will probably be one.

Anyway, let's not get into the PC/Mac discussion. I am sure you can find thousands of other threads on that.

I am interesting in the Tablet mostly because I can't put holes in my wall and knowing Apply, this might be real thin and be aesthetic to be place directly on the wall with maybe some minor mods. I was looking at Tablet PC's in the store and nothing looked even close to fitting that bill. I know there are some other touchscreens out there that would be a better fit, but I have not been too impressed with these offerings. It would be nice to get a mainstream tablet product (support, accessories, options increase).

Comment

Good chance this will happen soon.

Comment

Apple has a press conference scheduled for Jan 27, 2010 to announce their next major product.

If it is the "iPad", why would you want to mount it to the wall? I have never understood why people want to attach touch screens to their walls! A wireless free standing touch screen that you can put anywhere is much more appealing to me. Thats why I have iTouchs.

Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Apaprently, you don't have children under 2 years of age...unless I want it broke, it has to be above 3 foot off the ground...and sometimes that's not enough!

So, bolting to a wall or really far back on a counter is how I have to put most things...

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Yes and No! No kids but 4 grandkids under 5. The 3 & 4 year olds would move a chair to get to anything wall mounted. Everything has to be moved for 2 year olds. More reason for movable/removable touch screens.

Steve Q
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Dang the announcment of the triggered CNN breaking news. We must have not have much going on for this to be "breaking news"

Is it just me, or does iPad just sound like some dude from Boston saying iPod?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That or the other 1000 jokes that'll be on Saturday Night Live this week... a certain other thing referred to as a "pad"
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Now lets Hope HS will work on their app so it will resize to the 10" screen. The SDK is out today for developers to work on!!!!

Comment

I don't see why not, they've built the app to work on any size screen for the .net side of things..

I'm betting it's not that hard to upgrade the ipod software to support it..

You'll also be able to do the 2x pixel mode for now and get full screen with lower resolution.

It's $500 for the base level... it goes up from there they like to charge us $100 for 16GB of memory, and over $100 for 3g ability.

I still don't understand why they left off a few things
                            HDMI, USB, SD, (Cell company, or Media outlet subsidies), 16:9 instead of whatever they are now, More Buttons, Cameras (front and back), Skype or iFace2Face, iTeathering, iSupport installing software without iTunes, and allowing third party gaming controllers (like wii remote, or whatever)

sure is cheap to add hdmi ports and SD readers on things these days... why not apple? Are you worried we won't upgrade to iPad with Wings when it comes out?
                            Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                              I still don't understand why they left off a few things
                              HDMI, USB, SD, (Cell company, or Media outlet subsidies), 16:9 instead of whatever they are now, More Buttons, Cameras (front and back), Skype or iFace2Face, iTeathering, iSupport installing software without iTunes, and allowing third party gaming controllers (like wii remote, or whatever)

sure is cheap to add hdmi ports and SD readers on things these days... why not apple? Are you worried we won't upgrade to iPad with Wings when it comes out?
                              probably for the usual reasons: power consumption, form factor (thickness), heat dissipation, target market (not a god box but part of the fanboy ecosystem)

Comment

Working...
                              X