No announcement yet.

Apple Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really dissapointed with it as a general use product, but it would be nice for HA using HSTouch.

One thing is, me and another guy could never get HSTouch to maintain a reliable connection for an extended period on our iPhone/iTouch. I imagine that problem will be more clear in time if people use the iPad with HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by aslamma View Post
      I am really dissapointed with it as a general use product, but it would be nice for HA using HSTouch.

One thing is, me and another guy could never get HSTouch to maintain a reliable connection for an extended period on our iPhone/iTouch. I imagine that problem will be more clear in time if people use the iPad with HSTouch.
      I've been working with HS on that issue, see my post today...

I think the next release will have that fixed, mines been up for over a week, while the non updated ipod kept failing...

I agree on the iPad... They missed the boat on a few things..
      HDMI out
      SD and or USB (host and device)
      no 16:9? Did you see the movie example on this had huge black bars?
      Camera(s)... Skype or iFace2Face what they might call it.
      Teathering
      Support installing software without iTunes
      Support for 3rd party game controllers... Think Wii remotes or other gamepads
      $100 for 16Gigs?
      Removable batteries?

I don't know why I can't just plug my SD card from my camera into this thing if I want to email pics or post them on facebook or whatever..

I don't want to hear any of Apples excuses about why they left these off, because other companies have been able to include all of these things on other devices.

Any how... I still want one, just frustrated it's not all I hoped it would be.
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

What I saw today far exceeded my expectations. I think it will be a killer product! The price looks great. I think it will be wildly successful. The book market alone will be huge!

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Can you replace the battery on this device or is it another throw away device and when is apple going to realize that 16GB hard drives were available 15 years ago? I hope this does well though as I own a lot of Apple stock that I'm closing in on selling. Let's hope it's not going to be another Newton.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm just going to use it as a good touch screen...nothing more.
            don't need any extra add.

Or just use as a big Ipronto remote with HSTouch and Irtrans

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Can you replace the battery on this device or is it another throw away device and when is apple going to realize that 16GB hard drives were available 15 years ago? I hope this does well though as I own a lot of Apple stock that I'm closing in on selling. Let's hope it's not going to be another Newton.
              don't think you can replace the battery, but I wouldn't worry about this idea failing... the only fail here is the named they picked (belonging to fujitsu previously) and the fact that they could have done SO much more to secure them as king of the hill. Don't worry, your stock is doing fine!

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
              What I saw today far exceeded my expectations. I think it will be a killer product! The price looks great. I think it will be wildly successful. The book market alone will be huge!

Steve Q
              The price way far exceeded what I was expecting. As in it's much lower than I thought. Good job Apple!... I'm also sure it'll be widely successful, but I'm not sure why... as most potential buyers will already own devices that can do just about everything this can... and more (Adobe Flash support anyone?) I've never heard anyone say gee I wish I couldn't fit my iphone in my pocket.

Originally posted by Chak View Post
              I'm just going to use it as a good touch screen...nothing more.
              don't need any extra add.

Or just use as a big Ipronto remote with HSTouch and Irtrans
              This is probably what I'll end up doing with mine too.

I guess my biggest gripe is probably the camera support for two way conferencing. If they could have pulled that off, they could potentially be selling triple the units. Right now that's the biggest reason my family all wants netbooks... $300 wireless portal to communicate for free across the country.

As far as the media industry goes, this will be fine for a few years, but as display technologies improve, I'd expect some other ereader to fill the portable book scene, and after looking at an LCD in a dim room for 2 hours reading late at night you'll understand when it's time to sleep. I heard an market analyst predict that ereaders will become disposable at some point in the near future. Meaning that NYTimes or Maximum Magazine will just throw their version in with a subscription + $50 or whatever.

Still, all in all, todays news was pretty cool, and I hope it sparks some serious competition wars.

And I hope HS updates their app to support this, and let use remove the top information bar that's currently stuck on my ipod when using HSTouch.
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

apple's had lots of success with 'throwaway' ipods & iphones. i own no apple products nor do i plan on buying any, but the market has spoken and said it doesn't care. this point is getting old like the 'no physical keyboard' argument against the iphone.

as for the 16gb, if the price of SSDs were lower, capacity in the ipad would be higher. seriously, who's going to pay $2k for a 256GB ipad? to me, they hit an attractive price point at $499. you figure apple also has a pretty good idea of how much storage their ipod/iphone customers actually use (data siphoned via itunes?), so they would probably have better metrics than 'we should put more storage in than was available 15 years ago'.

Comment

Originally posted by damage View Post
                  apple's had lots of success with 'throwaway' ipods & iphones. i own no apple products nor do i plan on buying any, but the market has spoken and said it doesn't care. this point is getting old like the 'no physical keyboard' argument against the iphone.
                  I guess your right. It was us parents fault for being sucked into these devices with very little life span and buying our kids the next latest and greatest devices while the old ipods stack up. I must be getting old though, when a device is considered "at a good price point" when they start at $500

I'll stick with my net books I guess.

PS You guys go buy these by the dozens though, I need the money

Comment

I guess your right. It was us parents fault for being sucked into these devices with very little life span and buying our kids the next latest and greatest devices while the old ipods stack up. I must be getting old though, when a device is considered "at a good price point" when they start at $500
                    it's all relative. people pay $300-400 for an old hp thin client with an old 15" elo monitor and others pay $2k for an 8" in-wall computer.

Comment

Originally posted by damage View Post
                      it's all relative. people pay $300-400 for an old hp thin client with an old 15" elo monitor and others pay $2k for an 8" in-wall computer.
                      Good point.

Comment

Are these available now?

Comment

I think 60 days for the non 3g versions... and another 30 days after that for those...
                          Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                            I agree on the iPad... They missed the boat on a few things..
                            HDMI out
                            SD and or USB (host and device)
                            http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/27...port-adapters/

Comment

I saw those, it still feels like apple being all controlling as to what you're allowed to do.

I'd be willing to bet they don't let you play music off those SD cards or anything except copy pics from camera to ipad... It would be sweet if you could play movies from them, or music etc... but I suspect they'll limit what you can and can't do.

Every new smartphone except apples now have microsd readers... every major line of camera offers SD, and this device is big enough to have it.. HECK my DELL X50V PPC from 5 years ago had both SD and Compact Flash, wifi and bluetooth...

0.7 in thick
                              624 MHz
                              Supported Flash Memory Cards MultiMediaCard , SD Memory Card , CompactFlash (type II)
                              Display Resolution 480 x 640
                              Input device type Stylus , Touch-screen , 5-way navigation button
                              Supported Digital Audio Formats MP3 , WMA
                              Audio Input Microphone
                              Wireless Connectivity IrDA , Bluetooth , IEEE 802.11b
                              Interfaces 1 x Headset - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1 x USB

So if we want to compare apples to oranges HAHAHAHA which we probably shouldn't do, all of this technology was available 5 years ago but the OS was junk, and the screen was smaller.

Fast forward to today.... Main differences between the X50v(2005) and the iPad (2010)

iPad = larger screen, but only slightly better resolution.
                              iPad = NO built in card readers
                              iPad = NO extra naviation buttons (which by the way would be SWEET for games)
                              iPad = faster processor
                              iPad = capacitive screen and much better interface = increased usability
                              iPad = $500 (1/28/2010)
                              x50V = $385.46 (4/21/2005 this is what I actually paid for it)

Wow, we've come along way and this is so Magical? WTH?

Sorry for the rant, I just know Apple is holding back, and they could give us MUCH MUCH more, and we'd even pay more for it...

I want a nice tablet just like the iPad, but I want it to include SD readers (internally), Cameras, swappable batteries etc...

I really think Android is going to come full force this year, and we'll see Android tables at CES next year with all of the things Apple (intentionally left out)

Hehe... I'm sure I'll still buy one cuz I'm a sucker and tech addict.
                              Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Here's one users view.
                                http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...158/apple-goes

I think the Archos 9 is a far superior deal. I hope someone buys on of these soon and reviews it for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X