Waterproof Touchscreens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproof Touchscreens?

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/solutions for mounting a touchscreen in a bathroom (specifically a shower)? I've seen the solution by txbandit, and it looks great, but waaay out of the price range I want to stick to. I also don't have a shower screen, so his solution wouldn't work for me.

Ideally I'd like a touchscreen mounted at the back of the shower, so I (or my GF) would be able to adjust the speaker volume, get outside temps and all that sort of good thing. I could mount it behind a glass window or something which would deal with the water issue, but obviously at that point, the touch screen would become less than useful.

If it were just for the volume, or maybe a couple of other things, I could put in some waterproof switches - but I'd rather have the flexability of a touch screen if I can. Does anyone have any ideas?

G

Don't they make the plastic air tight bags that your could use to waterproof a touch screen?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Just make sure you purge the moisture out of the bag, otherwise the large temperature differences is going to condense moisture on the touchscreen anyhow.

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Or tape a bag of dessicant behind the touchscreen inside the baggie. Those are shipped with lots of things these days. I save them all for just such odd needs. Burp the bag in the winter when the humidity is the lowest and replace the dessicant the if you start seeing moisture in the bag.

There are waterproof touchscreens. My GPS has one...

Capable of running HSTouch, I saw something in these forums with a projector output or something like that for just under $5k. I should think a better approach is available on the cheap, like maybe hacking a wii-mote into being a presentation pointer / mouse with a projector screen.

I look forward to seeing other options for sure...
        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I hope I never get to the point where I need a touch screen in the shower to be honest. I'm not sure how long you shower but for the 5 minutes I'm in there I can do without automation.

Comment

"Need" and "Can I" are two completely different things!

For me, a touchscreen in the shower would be overkill. I do however have a X10 Remote with one of those clear plastic covers AO sells for use in the shower. This way I can change the XM Radio channel or skip to the next song if I'm listening to Media Player.

Also with a 2 year old who loves to sit on the toilet for 20 minutes, having the ability to change the music is priceless!
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
              .. with a 2 year old who loves to sit on the toilet for 20 minutes, having the ability to change the music is priceless!
              Wow I wish you were my dad when I was two. I could of had some fun with a remote and music.

Comment

I know this isn't a touch screen, but this is how I control volume from my shower...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wate...other-gadgets/

I too dream of a waterproof touchscreen... And I've kept my eyes open for such a thing for a long time.

I'm pretty sure that the ones that are waterproof are way out of my price range, but what is in my price range are the otterboxes...

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases...ries-pda-case/

http://www.drycase.com/
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Don't they make the plastic air tight bags that your could use to waterproof a touch screen?
                  Never thought about a plastic bag.... I wonder how the touch screen would work with that.

G

Comment

but for the 5 minutes I'm in there
                    My GF would like you... My Ex wife would like you... My parents would like you too...

I don't dawdle in there... but it usually takes me a min of 20 mins to get thru a shower.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
                      Never thought about a plastic bag.... I wonder how the touch screen would work with that.

G
                      My resistive touchscreens had some issues when I sucked the air out with a food saver... They worked just fine if I left some air inside... The problem at that point was charging the device... might be able to adapt something now with those wireless chargers.

I haven't tried capacitive except through very thin plastic film, maybe I'll try my ipod touch in one of those bags.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I hope I never get to the point where I need a touch screen in the shower to be honest. I'm not sure how long you shower but for the 5 minutes I'm in there I can do without automation.
                        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Crazy talk!!!!!!!!!!!

This post should be stricken!!!!
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
                          clear plastic covers AO sells for use in the shower.
                          Can you post a pic? AO doesn't have one on their site.

--Dan

Comment

You guys must have one huge shower, as for me there is barely enough room in there for me and I'm quite happy to get in and out as quickly as possible and not worry about the shower environment beyond the water is going and it's the right temp.
                            Marty
                            ------
                            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                              Can you post a pic? AO doesn't have one on their site.

--Dan
                              I can do better than that ... Here is the link!

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...Controls/AQPC1

I use 2 of them, they work great except you can't slide the little 1-8, 9-16 switch without removing the cover. All the other buttons work just fine.
                              Bryan
                              Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                              Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                              X