Need a touchscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a touchscreen

Im yust about too instal some homeautomation in my home and im gonna use z-wave and use homeseer to control the system. I gonna have a computer who is gonna run hs 24hours.
    But i need a touchscreen in my livingroom, wallmounted or not.
    Can someone plz give me some information how i can do that and how its work. Is it some way to make this wireless? or must i connect the screen to my computer/server via a vga cable
    It would be nice if you could show me some touchscreen to

You can use a tablet if you don't care about wall mounting it. I prefer a wired connection for a wall mounted touchscreen (even though I have 3 AP's in the house).

My older TS's are all XPSP3 based with VGA cables. I am playing with a 7" Mimo USB connected touch screen monitor. It has a nice small footprint with only two USB cables to it versus my 9" TS with three cables to it (Power, USB and VGA). Here's a short list (as there is more). HSTouch provides you to be able to use a variety of OS's.

So you can:

1 - use a wireless tablet (smallest / thinnest footprint's are IPADs and Androids now) I have a variety of older tablets some even called pen computers.
    2 - use your phone with MS Mobile OS, Apple OS or Android OS. (too small for me though)
    3 - use a small footprint many cable VGA touchscreen monitor (I utilize automotive style 8" to 9") - three cables - no VESA mounting but one I have has a clam shell style mount.
    4 - 12" POS monitors (larger footprint, more robust and cables) VGA, Serial and power and have VESA mounts.
    5 - 10-12" touch screen terminal - kind of a hybrid on the table setup. The one(s) I have are bank terminals that are touch screen capable. All metal heavy duty with micro (smaller than mITX) motherboards.
    6 - 12" TS integrated with PC case (older Kodak Kiosk TS)
    7 - 15" and greater (MTS and ELO) monitors (favorites that I have but large footprints); well built for industrial environments. Not thin though.
    8 - new gen Atom based all integrated wall mountable TS PCs (both table style pivot mounts and VESA mounts).

I've recently decided not to cut holes in drywall anymore and prefer to go the VESA mount way with an inwall double / single gang box providing all the connectivity. Its a TS lifespan and WAF thing for me. IE: put a pivot VESA mount under the kitchen counter. Looks nice. The bracket for the pivot doesn't use any space in the counter itself (good WAF). The LCD screen folds up to the counter. (nice footprint). Initially the LCD was just on a table bracket using up valuble WAF kitchen counter space.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

That mino 7" usb display looks realy nice. I need about 10m-15m with cable, is that a problem?
      Where can i buy this monitor?
      I see that has a mic, can i use that to control my homeseer with voice?

Comment

I've had issues extending the two USB connections on the Mimo USB monitor. My first test was using a local PS and USB to RJ45 utilizing a CAT5E network to patch panel connection (~60 feet - 20 meters). I did not get any video. Other's on the forum have been able to get longer runs. The longest USB cable I have is only about 15 feet (3 meters) and it works fine. The 2.0 active USB to Cat5E connectors are cost prohibitive (to me right now).

I have not tested the microphone as I do not utilize VR with my HS today (never have).

I purchased my Mimo from the Mimo website directly on sale.

I noticed that they have a Mimo with a VESA mount (been playing with different thoughts on how to mount mine on a wall).

I've been testing the Mimo in two different scenerios.

1 - direct connection to a mini PC (8" X 8")
        2 - Hosted on a VM connection to my desktop running VMWare workstation.

With the direct connection been playing with the "sleeping" mode creating a HS Touch button which puts the PC to sleep and wakes up touching the Mimo monitor. It works fast (for me) and I like the the USB touchscreen is ACPI (sleepmode) ready.

My older serial / USB touch screens are not ACPI ready. Think new USB Touchscreens are though.

Another issue I've noticed is that the Mimo monitor sometimes doesn't come back on a reboot forgetting the settings. (rare though).

Personally I would suggest waiting until a Mimo 7" USB touchscreen monitor goes on sale (I purchased mine for a bit over $100 USD). Then play with it some to see if you like it. You may not like the way it works and you will not have spent a lot of money on "testing". It appears to be designed to be a secondary monitor and not a primary. You can use it as a primary monitor though. My testing with HSTouch (on mini PC) has been utilizing it as a secondary monitor and designing the HSTouchscreens such that placement of the HSTouch screen is on the Mimo monitor (offset).

Benefits are how thin it is and its two USB connections. (small footprint, low power and USB connection). I have some pictures of my test setup and will post in a few minutes.

The following is a picture of the 7" Mimo sitting on the 8" X 8" small footprint mITX PC running XPSP3.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/176/dscf2002h.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4375/dscf2003z.jpg

Here's an old (5-6 years old) picture of a 7" automotive style in a clamshell touchscreen LCD. Note that it has three cables out the back of it (USB, Power and VGA).

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9407/ts05312010.jpg

The PC driving this TS is about 6 feet away (2 meter power, VGA and USB cables).

Here is a 19" LCD (not Touchscreen) mounted in the way I would mount anything bigger than a 12" LCD. Larger footprint and front fact of monitor is about 3" from wall. Vesa mount and inwall double gang box supplying power etc.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7453/kitchenlcd2.jpg

A rechargable 10" tablet (thin) that you could mount on a wall (recharge/connect to LAN) would be nice. (like an Android / IPAD)
        Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2010, 10:19 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The Mimo can be bought at ThinkGeek, for example: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bfa3/

(Also see http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1139083 )

USB can be extended beond 10 m without problems if you use a "special" extender cable, like this one: http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Pro...px?id=91920821
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Also check out the Products > User Interfaces > Touch Screens in the blue links above.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

This discussion has prompted me to "install" my Mimo some place in the house for practical use instead of playing with it.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                This discussion has prompted me to "install" my Mimo some place in the house for practical use instead of playing with it.
                You just have it laying around?!
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Yes.

Initially set it up / re-designed all my HS TS 22+ screens to fit the Mimo 800X480 screen size, played with it some (VM and PC), different lengths of USB cables.

A wall mounting thought - didn't buy anything ever but was thinking of a single gangbox combo small speaker mount / two USB keystone connections.
                  The wall plate though would have to support a solid connection small pivot mount. Maybe something inside of the gang box for support of a pivot mount.

Now it sits.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    Also check out the Products > User Interfaces > Touch Screens in the blue links above.
                    Hmmm. i must be blind or something, cant find it

Edit: did find it

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Yes.

Initially set it up / re-designed all my HS TS 22+ screens to fit the Mimo 800X480 screen size, played with it some (VM and PC), different lengths of USB cables.

A wall mounting thought - didn't buy anything ever but was thinking of a single gangbox combo small speaker mount / two USB keystone connections.
                      The wall plate though would have to support a solid connection small pivot mount. Maybe something inside of the gang box for support of a pivot mount.

Now it sits.
                      Let me know how it goes
                      What kind of touchscreen do you like best.

Comment

Personally what I like and what I want has not been achieved yet.

The Mimo is close though in that it only has a single USB connection. My HAI OPII 5.7" screens to my HAI OPII only have one 4 wire connection to the panel (embedded OS) similiar to the HS Touchscreen.

So I guess that a single POE ethernet connection to a semi intelligent TS is OK. Even better though is a single connection to a low power, single connection LCD.

I just did a quick test with the Mimo Monitor. I disconnected and rebooted HSTouch small footprint box. I then shut it down and plugged in the Mimo monitor and rebooted again. I had to reconfigure the Mimo Monitor settings manually to work with HSTouch and the small PC. I then rebooted again and HSTouch came up on the Mimo but it was off center a bit. Then I remembered I had changed the primary monitor screen size. Fixed it and I was in business again.
                        Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2010, 02:20 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

This one would be realy nice but i dont need 410 piece of them
                          http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/34...e_pc_Atom.html
                          Its realy hard too find something i can have on my wall i the livingroom, who dosent cost so much
                          Im also looking for a tablet pc who can do the smae work to.

Comment

If that's your price range, then I would go for something a little better (but a little pricier).

Asus Eee Top, for example:
                            http://www.prisguide.no/produkt/132549

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                              If that's your price range, then I would go for something a little better (but a little pricier).

Asus Eee Top, for example:
                              http://www.prisguide.no/produkt/132549
                              Nice Moskus! This gonna be fun Gonna seach little bit more, but i think this gonna buy this one Will this screen be ok for this job or are im missing somthing.

By the way.
                              Did find a supplier for the first one and the prise is 450$ for one
                              http://szdelong.en.alibaba.com/produ..._shenzhen.html
                              Last edited by Mrtiger; October 20, 2010, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X