Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Net not reconnecting after disconnect - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess there will be an update for the V2 version at some point ? I have the V2 and it obviosly doesnt have the update button

Comment

Version 1.0.19 is now available for the V2 version.

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
      I guess there will be an update for the V2 version at some point ? I have the V2 and it obviosly doesnt have the update button
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

So now I'm running 1.0.19 but after the update, the button is no longer there for any future updates. Is this intended?

Where did it actually get the update from? It didn't ask for a path or anything.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The button only appears if an update is available.

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          So now I'm running 1.0.19 but after the update, the button is no longer there for any future updates. Is this intended?

Where did it actually get the update from? It didn't ask for a path or anything.

Robert

Comment

HOLY RECONNECT!!!!

Every 50-60 seconds I am getting a failed connect and reconnect when running in wireless mode. Plugged in ethernet wire and looking better.

Comment

I was able to get some disconnects with some Z-Wave functions. Some functions can take longer than 20 seconds. I have posted an update (1.0.20) that changes the timeout to 60 seconds. That should keep the false disconnects from happening.

Comment

Rich,

The .20 Z-Net still does not reconnect a failed connection. I observed that the green light was still on at the Z-Net after a confirmed link failure. I restored the link and the plugin still went into the same loop saying that the Z-Net did not respond to a request for HomeID. I had to reboot the Z-Net to restore the connection.

I have also confirmed that the patch by zwolfpack does restore the connection. I understand that his patch to release the port only works for eth0 and does not take into account other situations that may occur. Right now the patch is working for me but thought you would want to know that the .20 update did not get there.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

To test that the .20 version is installed properly, just unplug the Ethernet cable. After 60 seconds you should see the LED go RED. If not, you do not have the changes. You might have to restart the unit after updating.

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                  Rich,

The .20 Z-Net still does not reconnect a failed connection. I observed that the green light was still on at the Z-Net after a confirmed link failure. I restored the link and the plugin still went into the same loop saying that the Z-Net did not respond to a request for HomeID. I had to reboot the Z-Net to restore the connection.

I have also confirmed that the patch by zwolfpack does restore the connection. I understand that his patch to release the port only works for eth0 and does not take into account other situations that may occur. Right now the patch is working for me but thought you would want to know that the .20 update did not get there.

Bob

Comment

Rich,

I will test again tomorrow. I actually installed .20 in the office yesterday and took the unit to the site so it was rebooted. I know it said that it was installed because the button disappeared when I went back in to change the Static IP address to the 172.28.252.xx. Today's event was a maintenance event at a remote site where the MW link POE injector went bad and caused a link failure. I observed at the remote site that the Z-Net still had a green light and thought that strange. When I got back to the office and could look at the system I found that the plugin was in the old loop as before. Right now I have a mixture of Z-nets with the patch (because I could install that remotely) and some with the .20 update because I have to drive many miles to bring them into the office to change the IP address to 192.168.1.xx for find.homeseer.com to work.

Bob

Comment

I have the V2 version, and updated to 0.20 last night. I had 2 errors again this afternoon, so does not seem to have improved anything unfortunately

Aug-11 17:56:50

Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:56:38 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:56:28 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Aug-11 17:56:11 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:56:10 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:56:10 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:56:10 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Aug-11 17:55:52 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. Aug-11 17:32:19 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:58 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Aug-11 17:31:58 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:58 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:41 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:41 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:40 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:40 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Aug-11 17:31:40 Z-Wave Error New Interface: The New Interface interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (2). Aug-11 17:31:25 Z-Wave Error New Interface: Exception transmitting to IP 192.168.0.13: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                        I understand that his patch to release the port only works for eth0 and does not take into account other situations that may occur.
                        Bob
                        That is not correct; it also works in the case of the wireless connection going down. Tested successfully.

As far as "other situations", in the case where the network is broken elsewhere (at the HS3 machine or router) it seems to recover just fine on its own. (tested this in release 1.17, so the Homeseer fix wasn't in place yet).

I updated the patch (see original post) to work for release 1.19+. This required since they moved where they started up the ser2net service.

The Homeseer timeout is implemented differently that mine. I like my way better but thats just me . I used the action of either network disconneting (ifplugd down action) which has a timeout set to 10 seconds. Homeseer's fix is to set the /etc/ser2net.conf timeout parameter to 60 seconds. This is timing out arrival of data instead of detection of a network event. That's why it has to be set to exceed the longest possible idle time.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/ser2net

Comment

I updated the patch (see original post) to work for release 1.19+. This required since they moved where they started up the ser2net service.
                          Hi zwolfpack,

I will have to get your updated patch for my Z-Net that has the .20 update. My testing of your patch has been flawless and has cured my problems.

As far as "other situations", in the case where the network is broken elsewhere (at the HS3 machine or router) it seems to recover just fine on its own. (tested this in release 1.17, so the Homeseer fix wasn't in place yet).
                          I was actually making reference to a post by Rich where he stated "I made a change that should handle more cases than just an Ethernet cable being pulled. For example, the network could go down at another point and the box would still have a good Ethernet connection, or you might be using WIFI."

I am wondering if the .20 does not detect the failure because the Z-Net is still communicating with the switch. I think that Rich said that he was going to do a 20 second (now 60 second) handshake with the plugin which should work if the Z-Net cannot talk to the host. But my testing determined that the Z-Net never detected the link failure to the host.

Anyway, thank for your work. I will get the changed patch for my .20 box.

Bob

Comment

I also think zwolfpack's fix is more effective. The patch he created (the v2 posted yesterday) has been installed on my two older Z-Nets that were updated to 1.0.20. Unfortunately the patch bricks my v2 Z-Net running 1.0.20. Last night I had another of my network events where all three Z-Nets dropped offline. The two with the patch installed reconnected within the first minute. My newer v2 Z-net (running 1.0.20 but without the patch) refused to connect until I rebooted it.

I don't know what HS did to the Linux structure on the v2 Z-Net where the patch will not work, but it would be great to have it on all three.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              Unfortunately the patch bricks my v2 Z-Net running 1.0.20.
                              Randy, I apologize for this! If you able, run the uninstall.sh to remove the patch.

(I guess this answers the question as to which version Z-NET I have).

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                                Randy, I apologize for this! If you able, run the uninstall.sh to remove the patch.

(I guess this answers the question as to which version Z-NET I have).
                                I keep image copies of the SD cards, so I re-flashed it back to 1.0.17, updated it to 1.0.20 last night and left it at that. That is how I left it last night, when it wouldn't reconnect. The other two older Z-Nets reconnected immediately.

I put my v2 Z-Net back on log monitored events that will reboot it automatically if it complains of not connecting. That has worked for me for months, but the solution you came up with is cleaner and faster. If you want to look at the structure of the v2, let me know and I can try to figure out how to get you an image.

My knowledge of Linux is scant and old. The last time I was even marginally skilled with it was SCO Xenix back in the 80's.
                                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                                X