www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > Z-Seer+

Z-Seer+ Discussions about Z-Seer+ Z-Wave Network Diagnostics Software

Old June 6th, 2017, 06:58 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebaldin View Post
My experiences exactly mirror your own. The randomness of the delays is extremely frustrating. It cuts across all four of my networks, but comes and goes. I have done everything I know how to do to chase this down - removing and re-adding nodes, moving nodes from one network to another, optimizing, rescanning, erasing and restoring controllers from backup files, deleting the zwave file and rebuilding. Nothing works.

Everything was working great until just a couple of weeks ago where I did two things - one was upgrading HS3 to 118, and the second was upgrading the Z-Wave PI to 116. The problems didn't happen immediately, but have gotten steadily worse. I have tried to set manual routes, played around with associations, poured over the tech manuals on the sensors for parameters I might have set wrong, etc. Nothing at all helps. I out of desperation reverted to 097 this morning but that didn't help either. I am almost to the point of starting from scratch, but the prospect with 170 devices and 900 events is too much to even think of.

As if that isn't bad enough, all these new Z-Wave Plus switches I bought from Enerwave (21 of them total, replacing in-wall Aeon micro controllers) have a problem that the physical switch stops responding after a few hours. Switches still work from the remote control, but you can't turn the switch on and off manually. Enerwave was able to replicate in their lab - but ONLY with a Homeseer controller. Now I am sitting on about a grand of switches that don't physically work (you can reset power to them, and they will function correctly for a few hours) and no solution. Nearly five years into this home control thing, and I still feel like an alpha tester.
We can take this to another thread, but I installed .124 to try Z-Seer+ this morning. as of about 10 minutes ago my Z-Wave delays were consistently 5-15 seconds. I restarted HS and it cleared. There was not excessive CPU or RAM being consumed. It looks like rollback time again because I will not be able to live with SWMBO with these delays. Of course .87 is no longer in the updater to roll back to, so I will have to dig up a backup.

With regard to the Enerwave devices, I have 5 of their energy reporting duplex outlets and they have been horrible. They will quit reporting, lock up and generally misbehave. I just got my 3rd warranty replacement for one that would not report, be controlled, exclude or include.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old June 6th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
You should see a gray circle with a number (for number of hops) if routing is required or a green circle with a "D" indicating a "Direct" connection with the controller. Are you seeing the green icon?
Neither, here is what is shown.
Attached Images

Zwave 3.0.1.136 | Z-Stick | HSTouch | Sonos | Vantage Vue
Old June 6th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edparty View Post
The new Z-Seer looks nice on the screenshots and it installed just fine. Unfortunately, it won't run on my Win XP Pro dinosaur. Despite the good looks and the great price I don't have any desire to upgrade my ancient system to Win 7. Oh well.
Ed

Skip Win 7, go straight to Win 10 or Linux!

From your sort of neighbour, near Red Bank

Cheers
James
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Super Seer

A few extra thoughts / requests...

I am loving having Z-seer back in the mix. It's been a long while since the HS2 version.

A few things that I see that could be improved.

1. In the detail panel at the bottom for the Neighbors line, I would like to see the Neighbor count, preceding the list. I know the node shows the count when you hover over the bar on the right side, but it would like to see it without needing to do that. Alternatively, show the neighbor count value on the node as well along with the bar chart.

2. The Neighbor list is truncated when you have a large network. Yes, you can hover over it and a tool-tip shows the complete list, but there is plenty of space there to show shrink the Classes panel and show the complete Neighbor list. Perhaps also make the node list have tool-tips for each node, showing the friendly name.

3. Is it possible to include everything from the Node Info screen of the Z-Wave PI, including the Set Route option?

4. I find it a bit confusing when the Optimise option for a node, moves the node to a completely random location when complete. I might be missing something here with Save-As views!

5. It would make it enormously easier to visually comprehend routes and filters if the nodes that are not part of the selection were grayed out. In the case of routes, the routes could be brought to front also.

6. As Al mentioned previously, it's extremely slow to repaint when scrolling a large network. Most of the time I remote on to my machine that runs Z-Seer+ (running remotely from HS3) from a laptop with lower resolution than the ZS+ machine's native resolution. If I view ZS+ from the machine it's running on, then this isn't an issue as there is plenty of screen real-estate to show my ever growing Z-Wave network.

7. I think it would be useful to have the concept of 'Last heard from date'. I have 3 devices that I haven't cleaned up.
- First one is an ancient in-wall outlet. It stopped working (no power) a long time ago and I haven't found the time to trace the problem. It shows in pink but with 20 neighbours. This is incorrect as it hasn't been online in well over a year.
- Second one is a new device (v1 Aeotec clamp meter) that has never recorded a value. Also shows in pink, but with 39 neighbours. It's clearly communicating with the network so the neighbour count is correct, but it's not updating due to me not fixing it.
- Third one is an old Aeotec MultiSensor. This shows like a normal battery node with a neighbour count. Problem is, this hasn't been on the network in well over a year, but still shows as if it's a current device.

Yes, I need to clean these nodes up, but it seems a little inconsistent with the way that they are displayed (in HS3 to be honest too).

In any case, please take this as constructive. Loving what you have added back here and hoping for a few tweaks in the coming months

Cheers
James
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
My wife has been complaining about and I have been chasing them since 2015...The report buffers range between 10-40.
Randy,

Your first quoted point is hard on WAF and when it is low, es no bueno.

The second, the report buffer, what is this? I have been monitoring it and it ranges between 1 and 50ish before dropping down again.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.379 | 743 devices | 341 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | BLAlarm | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris |
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakrzep View Post
I have upgraded the Z-wave plugin, but I get these messages and no nodes showing. Restarted HS3 and reinstalled Zseer+

Any ideas?
Did this get resolved? I continue to have same issue. Z-Seer+ states it can't connect to Homeseer, but the Homeseer log has an entry that Z-wave polling has been stopped by Z-Seer+.

Elliott
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:10 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvtravlr View Post
Randy,

Your first quoted point is hard on WAF and when it is low, es no bueno.

The second, the report buffer, what is this? I have been monitoring it and it ranges between 1 and 50ish before dropping down again.
Rich would have to answer this since it is another item I have never seen documentation on. I am by no means certain of this, but I assume it is a queue of Z-Wave reporting communications back to HS. I say this only because I cannot see any reason why reporting would be outgoing from the HS Z-Wave plug-in. These reports may be things like energy reports from smart switches, temperature and humidity from multi-sensors and thermostats, etc. I do remember that those numbers went down to 0 or close to it when I disabled all of the Aeon energy reporting in my garage network. I can also say that the numbers do not seem to change substantially as a precursor or the result of a period of substantial delays.

-Yoda

Old June 7th, 2017, 09:16 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Randy is correct. Note that the buffer might always contain some items as there could be report types that we do not handle. The buffer does get cleared automatically though. I am not concerned about the size of this buffer. I am concerned about the transmit queues, they should always be empty unless HS is sending more traffic than Z-Wave can handle.

Quote:
Rich would have to answer this since it is another item I have never seen documentation on. I am by no means certain of this, but I assume it is a queue of Z-Wave reporting communications back to HS. I say this only because I cannot see any reason why reporting would be outgoing from the HS Z-Wave plug-in. These reports may be things like energy reports from smart switches, temperature and humidity from multi-sensors and thermostats, etc. I do remember that those numbers went down to 0 or close to it when I disabled all of the Aeon energy reporting in my garage network. I can also say that the numbers do not seem to change substantially as a precursor or the result of a period of substantial delays.

website | products | support | youtube
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Randy is correct. Note that the buffer might always contain some items as there could be report types that we do not handle. The buffer does get cleared automatically though. I am not concerned about the size of this buffer. I am concerned about the transmit queues, they should always be empty unless HS is sending more traffic than Z-Wave can handle.
As stated in another thread, when my zwave network is experiencing the delay (last one was 33 seconds) the homeseer web page responds normally and the transmit cue was empty. Are there any log files stored in the znet itself?

I'm considering plugging my znet into a switch powered by an x10 module and killing power to it during a delay to see if homeseer ever generates an error of if the znet still sends the data after communications failure just to try and figure out where the point of failure lies.

I have updated the zwave plugin and turned off polling and set timeout to 2 seconds. Now it's a waiting game.
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:33 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickman View Post
Neither, here is what is shown.
Are you using a Z-Troller or some other older Z-wave interface? If so, Z-Seer+ will not be able to reveal routes. You will need to be running a SmartStick+, Nortek HUSBZ, UZB Stick, Z-NET, or some other Z-Wave Plus controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
Ed

Skip Win 7, go straight to Win 10 or Linux!
Z-Seer+ won't run under Linux....FYI

Old June 7th, 2017, 10:51 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happnatious1 View Post
As stated in another thread, when my zwave network is experiencing the delay (last one was 33 seconds) the homeseer web page responds normally and the transmit cue was empty. Are there any log files stored in the znet itself?

I'm considering plugging my znet into a switch powered by an x10 module and killing power to it during a delay to see if homeseer ever generates an error of if the znet still sends the data after communications failure just to try and figure out where the point of failure lies.

I have updated the zwave plugin and turned off polling and set timeout to 2 seconds. Now it's a waiting game.
After installing .124, my delays were really bad yesterday, rising throughout the day to more than 10 seconds. I went back to .87 and as of now the Z-Wave delays are still gone. During these high delays yesterday, all of the queues were empty, CPU and memory use were nominal and the HS web server was not affected. Even though a restart will usually stop the delays, the fact that they do not come back with .87 would seem to indicate that it is plug-in related and is not due to network or controller issues.

There is not enough memory in the 500 series chip to allow it to store logging and the Z-Net O/S does not write any logging to the SD card. As I wrote above, the repeated cause and effect I have experienced by changing the plug-in would seem to point to it as the culprit. I have also experienced the same relationship between plug-in versions and delays with a Z-Troller, a single Z-Net and now with 3 Z-Nets each controlling heir own network. When I have delays affecting my primary Z-Wave network, I will see the same delays in my two secondary Z-Wave networks.

-Yoda

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Seer

My Dinosaur

Thanks for the reply James, (from down the road). I agree, if possible, Win10 is a good way to go. But, my old motherboard hosts 5 expansion slots and 7 RS-232 ports for sensor & interface hardware. Win10 says it's a NO-GO for this PC relic. So it's upgrade/replace all the hardware interfaces or stay with XP. I think I'll wait on the Z-Seer for now, unfortunately.
Ed
Old June 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
After installing .124, my delays were really bad yesterday, rising throughout the day to more than 10 seconds. I went back to .87 and as of now the Z-Wave delays are still gone. During these high delays yesterday, all of the queues were empty, CPU and memory use were nominal and the HS web server was not affected. Even though a restart will usually stop the delays, the fact that they do not come back with .87 would seem to indicate that it is plug-in related and is not due to network or controller issues.

There is not enough memory in the 500 series chip to allow it to store logging and the Z-Net O/S does not write any logging to the SD card. As I wrote above, the repeated cause and effect I have experienced by changing the plug-in would seem to point to it as the culprit. I have also experienced the same relationship between plug-in versions and delays with a Z-Troller, a single Z-Net and now with 3 Z-Nets each controlling heir own network. When I have delays affecting my primary Z-Wave network, I will see the same delays in my two secondary Z-Wave networks.
Again, your experiences are identical to my own with regards to the newer plug in revisions and the increase in delays as time goes on. On initial reset of the Z-Wave plug-in, my activation delays are pretty much gone, but within a few hours I have the delay issue getting steadily worse. I have 4 Z-Nets and I can also vouch for the delays crossing across all separate networks. Same experiences with queues, CPU and memory on the SEL, and in webpage access as you detail. Polling is disabled completely.
Old June 7th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Maybe this is a dumb question but if I purchased Z-Seer+ now and later upgrade to HS3Pro can I sell my standalone Z-Seer+ license and switch to the pro license?

OK, call me cheep I'd just like to not be out the full $50 if I upgrade.
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Seer Plus

I have the same issue with the routes not being displayed. I've checked under node information page and I don't have the field that displays last known route it just doesn't exist. I have an aeotec gen 5 and just double checked on amazon to make sure it was definitely a gen 5. running hs3 pro version 313 and all latest plugins.

Second to that im in the same boat with the random delays, its strange as the setup is the same in each room, aeotec multisensor using motion to turn on lifx bulb via ultrajones plugin. The two stairway lights suffer with delays whist the bedroom is always spot on yet it is the furthest from the controller. Same as others have mentioned the events triggering at the right time, just a delay in the action.

I too have gone through the configuration parameters again and again changing sensitivity to see if the two sensors were clashing commands at the controller (both sensors have same line of sight), changing polling, reporting intervals and nothing makes a difference, its always so random. Ive ruled out traffic in my setup as i only have 8 devices and i've limited reporting to the bare bones so im questioning the routing. Tried optimising but with so few nodes it has little option so thats why i wanted to see my command routes and see if i can rule this out. Is the command route always the same? i know that optimising sets that path but do the z wave devices always stick to this, just seems to me one time it has a good route and no delay, next time it chooses another route and hence the delay. Probably wrong but thats the only reasoning i can come up with. If it was related to what version i was running it would be a constant problem, not random.

Sorry went of at slight tangent there, mainly just want to know why i have no command route shown.
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:54 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Randy, I did a code diff between .87 and .124 and put back some changes that might affect timing. Can you please try the Z-Wave plug-in ver 3.0.1.125 in the Beta section. I will create a another thread were we can discuss this.

Quote:
We can take this to another thread, but I installed .124 to try Z-Seer+ this morning. as of about 10 minutes ago my Z-Wave delays were consistently 5-15 seconds. I restarted HS and it cleared. There was not excessive CPU or RAM being consumed. It looks like rollback time again because I will not be able to live with SWMBO with these delays. Of course .87 is no longer in the updater to roll back to, so I will have to dig up a backup.

With regard to the Enerwave devices, I have 5 of their energy reporting duplex outlets and they have been horrible. They will quit reporting, lock up and generally misbehave. I just got my 3rd warranty replacement for one that would not report, be controlled, exclude or include.

Old June 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Lets move the delays discussion to here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...82#post1309882

Quote:

Old June 7th, 2017, 02:59 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

What is the SDK version of the controller? You can find this on the Node Info page. It has to be 6.51 or later, so 500 series is not the only requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaktastic87 View Post
I have the same issue with the routes not being displayed. I've checked under node information page and I don't have the field that displays last known route it just doesn't exist. I have an aeotec gen 5 and just double checked on amazon to make sure it was definitely a gen 5. running hs3 pro version 313 and all latest plugins.

Second to that im in the same boat with the random delays, its strange as the setup is the same in each room, aeotec multisensor using motion to turn on lifx bulb via ultrajones plugin. The two stairway lights suffer with delays whist the bedroom is always spot on yet it is the furthest from the controller. Same as others have mentioned the events triggering at the right time, just a delay in the action.

I too have gone through the configuration parameters again and again changing sensitivity to see if the two sensors were clashing commands at the controller (both sensors have same line of sight), changing polling, reporting intervals and nothing makes a difference, its always so random. Ive ruled out traffic in my setup as i only have 8 devices and i've limited reporting to the bare bones so im questioning the routing. Tried optimising but with so few nodes it has little option so thats why i wanted to see my command routes and see if i can rule this out. Is the command route always the same? i know that optimising sets that path but do the z wave devices always stick to this, just seems to me one time it has a good route and no delay, next time it chooses another route and hence the delay. Probably wrong but thats the only reasoning i can come up with. If it was related to what version i was running it would be a constant problem, not random.

Sorry went of at slight tangent there, mainly just want to know why i have no command route shown.

Old June 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Seer Plus

It's says version 3.95 (ZDK 6.51.2)
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:28 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

I think I see the problem but I don't have a stick to test it. Please try the beta plugin 3.0.1.126 and see if the routes display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaktastic87 View Post
It's says version 3.95 (ZDK 6.51.2)