www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HS3 / HS3PRO > HS3/PRO Beta Releases

HS3/PRO Beta Releases Discussion area for the beta releases of HomeSeer HS3 and HS3PRO software

Old November 3rd, 2017, 11:30 PM
Super Seer

I agree that it is odd. But I have eight other plugins enabled, and ran .379 with only those 8 for 72 hours without any issue other than occasional cpu spikes and a very gradual memory increase. And I had a script checking the callback queue on the help web page once a minute and it never went over 100.

I enabled these three when I installed .382 and started getting warning messages immediately. Now it may be that these three are the only plugins enabled that utilize the callback function on a large scale. HSBuddy and I assume EasyTrigger are monitoring everything going on that they can. HSBuddy is also logging everything to a database, which I think is just too much for the RPi3 to handle. I'm going to disable those two and see how RFXCOM and the other 8 plugins do.
Old November 4th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Seer Deluxe

OooK, I originally had v.379 and noticed that I can no longer talk HS3 to ALEXA. I updated to v.382 in the hopes that what ever was wrong with v.379 went away, however it did not. I even disabled the HS3 skill and re enabled and re discovered my devices but am unable to get ALEC to control any HS3 devices and get "XXX Light is not responding". Help!

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

Last edited by MNB; November 4th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Seer Deluxe

The fun keeps on coming, I stepped our for an hour and came back to "HS3 has stopped working" not a good sign.. me thinks I should revert back to a working version.

How does one install a back level v.368, I thought I could just download it but the software knows that a more recent version was installed and cancels the Installer?

Update: Never mind, I simply copied my BLBACKUP from 11/2/17 (day prior to converting to v.379) over my current HS3 directory and am now up and running with v.3.68... I know sometimes one can be slow at times ;-).

I've just also verified that ALEXA is now up and running.. Rich if you can confirm, obviously something changed. Mike

Last edited by MNB; November 4th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

Worst update ever. Installed, rebooted to start with a clean slate, and now 4.5 hours later, memory has shot up nearly 5Gb.

No errors logged for queue being full either.
Old November 4th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
The fun keeps on coming, I stepped our for an hour and came back to "HS3 has stopped working" not a good sign.. me thinks I should revert back to a working version.

How does one install a back level v.368, I thought I could just download it but the software knows that a more recent version was installed and cancels the Installer?

Update: Never mind, I simply copied my BLBACKUP from 11/2/17 (day prior to converting to v.379) over my current HS3 directory and am now up and running with v.3.68... I know sometimes one can be slow at times ;-).

I've just also verified that ALEXA is now up and running.. Rich if you can confirm, obviously something changed. Mike
May not be related to your problem but there may be a problem with the server. I wouldn't make any drastic changes to your setup at the moment. My Alexa is not responding either on .379
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM
OverSeer

I installed .382 this morning. I'm doing well here with HS3.exe eating a steady 70MB. I'm running about 24 - 25 plugins. I'm really curious to know what the common factor is in all of the systems that are eating up so much RAM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
I installed .382 this morning. I'm doing well here with HS3.exe eating a steady 70MB. I'm running about 24 - 25 plugins. I'm really curious to know what the common factor is in all of the systems that are eating up so much RAM.
The problem seems to arise running the system constantly over a period of days. I'm running .379 for 11 days without a restart and the memory usage has climbed steadily over this period but the system has not crashed yet. At certain times memory usage has dropped very slightly but then continues to rise.

I'm leaving .379 to run to see if it crashes or rise in memory usage levels off. I'm only running 3 plugins on a Raspberry Pi so that shouldn't over stretch system resources.
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:42 PM
OverSeer

I've been running .382 for 12 hours now and don't have any plugin warnings which is a good sign considering I wrote five out of my eight plugins myself (and one of those plugins uses quite a few change callbacks which I always worry about and know these have caused issue before).

Quote:
Current Date/Time: 04/11/2017 22:38:18
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.382
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Work Station
System Uptime: 0 Days 11 Hours 40 Minutes 56 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168.1.4
Number of Devices: 313
Number of Events: 162
Available Threads: 200
HSTouch Enabled: True
Event Threads: 1
Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
Device Exec Queue: 0
HSTouch Event Queue: 0
Email Send Queue: 0
Anti Virus Installed: Microsoft Security Essentials

Enabled Plug-Ins
0.0.0.10: Additions
0.0.0.42: Current Cost 3P
0.0.0.19: DoorBird
0.0.0.9: LaMetric 3P
0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P
3.1.0.20: Sonos
0.0.1.5: TradfriSeer
3.0.1.140: Z-Wave
Few issues with Alexa mentioned in the other thread though where I get 'not responding' messages however not sure if this is a HS issue or a MyHS issue.

HS was sitting at 70MB earlier and is now at 88MB which I will watch and see how it is in the morning, not going to worry about 18-20MB over the space of 12 hours right away.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:03 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordseer View Post
The problem seems to arise running the system constantly over a period of days. I'm running .379 for 11 days without a restart and the memory usage has climbed steadily over this period but the system has not crashed yet. At certain times memory usage has dropped very slightly but then continues to rise.

I'm leaving .379 to run to see if it crashes or rise in memory usage levels off. I'm only running 3 plugins on a Raspberry Pi so that shouldn't over stretch system resources.
I had been running .378 since it hit the market and didn't see any increase in memory usage. HS3.exe always hovered between 70 - 110 MB and .382 is behaving the same way. There's just got to be some factor or combination of factors that some folks have and others don't that's causing this memory hogging.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Seer Deluxe

I'm assuming you are taking that memory usage figure from Tools-About Homeseer from the web Api page.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:39 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
I'm assuming you are taking that memory usage figure from Tools-About Homeseer from the web Api page.

I didn't even know you could find that there. I'm looking at the task manager, which right now says 97 M. The about homeseer page says 152 MB. Interesting discrepancy right there.
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
More clues please, how does one get to it?
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
More clues please, how does one get to it?
Does this answer your question?
Attached Images

Old November 5th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Ok ... I should have looked before leaping. I did not associated API page to the same the "about Home. Now that I'm on the same page "no pun indented" I agree with you Colin there seems to be minor differences when comparing between Windows Resource Monitor and the API page and look at HS3.exe for instance Average CPU 1.3 and the memory for working set is 898,312 kb as they do move around real time. Mike
Attached Images

Old November 5th, 2017, 12:33 PM
OverSeer

Yes in Linux you are not able to see the Plug-In Memory used via the about GUI page.

In Windows I would always statically configure the cache size to be twice the size of the RAM. 8Gb of RAM would be 16Gb of cache RAM and put this cache RAM on the second partition (not sure if this made it work better?).

I compare here the HomeSeer Memory Used: 114 Mbytes to what I see in HTop which is the same number as HSConsole.exe.

Note the 114Mb's used is after one day. After 11 days I was at around 140Mb which really isn't much.

With HTop see the individual utilization of each plugin being utilized. You can add those numbers up to get a total of plugin memory utilized.

Next also look at the total memory utilized / total memory present (hard number RAM) and as much documentation states do not pay much attention to virtual memory used.

This number though is related to all processes utilization rather than just Homeseer. (IE: some extra stuff that I am running on the HS3 Lite box are mySQL, SAMBA, Apache 2, et al).

The issues that I am seeing with the threads here (relating to running HS3 in Linux) is that the HSConsole application starts to approach the total RAM of the RPI and eventually breaks HS3. The why piece is the unknown. I have seen the same running HS3 on an iSeries 3 / 16Gb of RAM with Homeseer exceeding 100% utilization for days with HS3 never breaking though.

Saw something similar when running just the ZWave plugin remotely (mono zwave serverIP) with first generation of Jessie Lite (on the RPi2). It would run for a month or so and run out of memory. I had been doing same running Wheezy and not seeing any issues. The RPi2 was POE connected and mounted in the Attic which was sort of a PITA to get to. I redid that RPi2 to reinstalling a base of Wheezy and using sertonet for the ZWave GPIO card. It's been running so well that I added a 1-wire 9097 network to it...kept running fine such that I also run Domoticz on the same RPi2.

Been testing HS3 lite on two computers; one ARM (with 2Gb of RAM) and one AMD (with 2Gb of RAM) with both running Ubuntu 16.04 64bit.

In the last couple of day been configuring an RPi2 - Wheezy/Jessie with HS3 Lite to see the difference which is mostly related to having 1Gb of RAM and running a quad core ARM CPU. I have updated this built to Mono V5.X. It is the old Wheezy base RPi2 that I am using for running CumulusMX.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.387 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Last edited by Pete; November 5th, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old November 5th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Seer

Note: I mistakenly stated the upgrade was from 368 to 382. It was actually 379 to 382. My bad. (I am not going to update the labels in the attachments ...)

Here are memory usage charts from my ZeeS2 test system. A simple configuration on a ZeeS2 running only Z-Wave and HSBuddy as Plug-ins. There is not much going on in the zwave network; a single fibaro door sensor with a temperature monitor is the only zwave device powered on.

The data in the attached charts is for the past ~36 hours @ 10 minute interval sample. This time interval takes my system through the 379 to 382 upgrade. 382 has been running for about 26 hours in these charts.

Data was created with the Linux ps -aux command (calling a Linux shell script from a HS event every 10 minutes. The shell script source is shown in the charts. Data for each task was extracted from the master log file by using grep to extract data for each task and importing into Google Sheets to create the graphs.)

A couple of observations:
- HSConsole.exe - memory usage increase noted since installing 382, but then released a sizable chunk of memory just before this overall data snapshot. Not quite down to where it started ...
- HSZWave - memory usage seems to increase at a relatively slow rate, but continues to only increase.
- HSBuddy.exe - also increases. Note the system restart and upgrade had hardly any effect on its overall memory use. I checked the plug-in configuration settings: Logging="Info", History=0day,12hrs,0min; checked-Include devices. Perhaps this plugin is not deleting historical data after 12 hrs?

My next step is to disable HSBuddy to see if it has any effect on the other mono-run processes.
(EDIT: When disabling HSBuddy, I found that an update is available. I was running 3.4.316.2, and it says 3.5.1029.11 is available. So I've downloaded and am restarting my system with the newer version of HSbuddy enabled.)

-- Ernie
--------------
mono -V
Mono JIT compiler version 4.5.1 (master/9db20c4 Fri May 13 15:41:42 EDT 2016)

Current Date/Time: 11/5/2017 11:23:28 AM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.382
Linux version: Linux HTZeeS2V2-4015 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 1 Day 2 Hours 56 Minutes 46 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168.0.121
Number of Devices: 14
Number of Events: 25
Available Threads: 388
HSTouch Enabled: True
Event Threads: 163
Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
Device Exec Queue: 0
HSTouch Event Queue: 0
Email Send Queue: 0
Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
3.4.316.2: HSBuddy
3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
---------------------
Attached Images

Last edited by efrey; November 5th, 2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: incorrectly stated upgrade from 368 to 382. Actually 379 to 382. Also adding HSBuddy version info ... found update available.
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:22 AM
Seer Plus

just noticed using timers in events do crash and kill HS in some cases on linux
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:08 AM
Seer Deluxe

Just to confirm that there is definitely something within logging causing the memory leak.
Was up to 6gb memory used. Closed HS3, opened it again, then disabled logging. Within an hour, total memory used dropped down to almost normal levels (around 1.8Gb for everything loaded) - after another 2 days, its only up by 300mb.
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:00 AM
OverSeer

It's a new day. HS still says 152 MB. Task manager says 94 MB. I call BS on the HS about page stats.
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Seer

A quick update from the memory usage charts I posted yesterday.
The chart below shows, on a single graph, the RSS memory usage of the three mono-run tasks on my SEE-S2.
The two major inflection points are:
@sample#60: upgrade HS release from 379 to 382
@sample#230: updgrade HSbuddy from 3.4.316.2 to 3.5.1029.11
In both cases the system was powered down and rebooted.
My system configuration hasn't changed from what I noted a couple of posts ago.

It appears that HSbuddy upgrade significantly changed the behavior of HSConsole.exe's memory use -- for the better.
Not sure why the ZWave process took a big jump at about sample#315 (~4am in the morning)...nothing was going on with my single z-wave device connected to the system.

Conclusions???:
- zwave grew from 78484 to 79428 before jumping to 89700 and then climbed to 91516. (a slow memory leak? Why the big jump?)
- This data indicates plugins can significantly impact the behavior of the overall system.

Next step -- disable the HSbuddy plugin, reboot the system and continue my measurements.
Attached Images