www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HS3 / HS3PRO > HS3/PRO Beta Releases

HS3/PRO Beta Releases Discussion area for the beta releases of HomeSeer HS3 and HS3PRO software

Old November 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

HS3 is a .NET application and at times the system will do a "garbage collection" and free up resources that are not longer being used. This is normal with .NET and I suspect that is what you are seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj09 View Post
I have a strange memory footprint on my hs3 server. When all is running quiet since let's say 2 to 3 days, w10 performs a kind of optimisation and shrinks memory use as you can see below. My metrics are coming from a child process of tasklist. This is consistent with w10 task manager and with the brilliant app "process explorer" from microsoft sysinternals, so I am confident on the reality of phenomenum...
I knocked at pro's doors for explanations with no success. If anyone can give a clue it would be fine cause its iching my brain. Anyway at the moment HS3 memory management is ok for me.

red nodejs, blue HS3, green HSPI plugins, black nginx

JMJ
Current Date/Time: 10/11/2017 17:08:37
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.382
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professionnel - Work Station
System Uptime: 6 Days 9 Hours 24 Minutes 38 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168....
Number of Devices: 133
Number of Events: 49
Available Threads: 400
HSTouch Enabled: True
Event Threads: 0
Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
Device Exec Queue: 0
HSTouch Event Queue: 0
Email Send Queue: 0
Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
3.0.1.152: Z-Wave

website | products | support | youtube
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Seer Plus

Thats right for .net softwares, but how about nginx and nodejs in sync ?
For nodejs I can monitor internal garbage collection "small" and "big" ones, and the shrinking process appears at a different pace.
And at the end, HS3 is encapsulated in less than 30k and still healthy, this is fine but I fear a border effect to burst any day in my family consensus.
A bit of paranoia dont hurt, does it ?
JMJ
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
Randy, I see that your using Jon's Database Charting utility... setup questions; what are you using to monitoring your CPU % , I'm assuming "Jon00PerfMon" or are you using something else? Secondly what update times(s) are you using in regards to graphing and devices? I'm assuming that your running the Charting plugin continuously or only during specific test monitoring time periods?

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
I have had 4 instances of CPU utilization going through the ceiling in the last several weeks. Each time it was the Z-Wave plug-in that was consuming the extra, going from a normal 1-3% CPU to over 50%. Disabling/enabling the plug-in cures it. I have yet to figure out what triggers it in the first place. The most recent time it did it was at 1:30PM last Tuesday. At 3:30PM HS CPU spiked to 65% and that is when an event automatically disabled/enabled the Z-Wave plug-in.

Attachment 64010
Randy, I see that your using Jon's Database Charting utility... setup questions; what are you using to monitoring your CPU % , I'm assuming "Jon00PerfMon" or are you using something else? Secondly what update times(s) are you using in regards to graphing and devices? I'm assuming that your running the Charting plugin continuously or only during specific test monitoring time periods?
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
I am using Jon00's Database Charting and PerfMon. The database charting is full time, one sample every 5 minutes and it just samples the PerfMon devices. The charting lets me go back in history up to 180 days and the PerfMon graphic gives me a 24 hour snapshot.

I also generate Pushover messages when the CPU climbs above 40%. If it remains above 60% for more than 5 minutes, HomeSeer and the computer are restarted. I've never seen a memory problem.

My Z-Wave plug-in has been going nuts once or twice a week for a few weeks running 3.0.1.150. While it runs about 2-5% normally, when it has a problem it can gobble 40-60% of the CPU. I just updated to 3.0.1.155 yesterday.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
I am using Jon00's Database Charting and PerfMon. The database charting is full time, one sample every 5 minutes and it just samples the PerfMon devices. The charting lets me go back in history up to 180 days and the PerfMon graphic gives me a 24 hour snapshot.
Firstly thanxs for the comeback. I'm assuming that your PerfMon devices are also sampling every 5 minutes?

Quote:
I also generate Pushover messages when the CPU climbs above 40%. If it remains above 60% for more than 5 minutes, HomeSeer and the computer are restarted. I've never seen a memory problem.
I like your CPU threshold idea(s) and may also adopt something similar myself.

What other database(s) have you setup and what are tracking that's useful?

I was able to setup a "Manual" event that allows me to start the Database Charting plugin but have yet to figure how to turn it off other than going to the tray icon and exit.
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:43 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Firstly thanxs for the comeback. I'm assuming that your PerfMon devices are also sampling every 5 minutes?

I like your CPU threshold idea(s) and may also adopt something similar myself.

What other database(s) have you setup and what are tracking that's useful?

I was able to setup a "Manual" event that allows me to start the Database Charting plugin but have yet to figure how to turn it off other than going to the tray icon and exit.
Yes, every 5 minutes.

I initially was restarting the Z-Wave plug-in, but I changed it to a total system restart in case the excessive CPU usage was something else. My system restart routine reboots all three Z-Nets, shuts down HomeSeer and reboots the HomeSeer server. Any time I restart the system I use the same routine.

Since the DB Charting database allows for up to ten sources per database I picked 10 from PerfMon to store in the charting program. I also use the DB charting to chart various energy and temperature metrics to track heating/hot water and air conditioning temperatures and household energy consumption.
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Yes, every 5 minutes.

Since the DB Charting database allows for up to ten sources per database I picked 10 from PerfMon to store in the charting program. I also use the DB charting to chart various energy and temperature metrics to track heating/hot water and air conditioning temperatures and household energy consumption.
Thanxs Randy. It took a little bit to get my head around how to make the DB Charting database plugin to work.. I think setting up a temperature database and a energy consumption database should give me a leg up, as always your a great knowledge resource! Mike
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Seer Master

After about 3 days running .383 I had one processor lock up again.

Current Date/Time: 11/11/2017 5:14:34 PM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.383
Linux version: Linux HS3 4.4.0-98-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 14:24:03 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 42 Minutes 59 Seconds
Number of Devices: 343
Number of Events: 90
Available Threads: 800
HSTouch Enabled: True
Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
2.0.35.0: BLLAN
3.0.0.56: DSC Security
3.0.1.9: Kodi
1.2.0.0: Monoprice Amp
3.0.6510.21140: Ultra1Wire3
3.0.0.76: weatherXML
3.0.0.36: X10
0.0.0.6: YAMAHA-RECEIVER
3.0.1.154: Z-Wave
Attached Images

Old November 12th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Super Seer

I get cpu spikes a couple of times a day. Some of them are half iowait, most are pure cpu. So far I really haven't been able to tie it to anything. It happened about an hour ago, but I didn't notice it until it was over. The spikes typically last about an hour and the system and HS3 recovers OK. During the spike things are sluggish (slow response to motion sensors for example).

But so far .383 continues to be stable with very minimal memory increase with the set of plugins I have enabled.

If I try to add any of the following plugins to the current setup, I start getting callback queue errors: HSBuddy, EasyTrigger, RFXCOM. However they do not seem to have any significant or lasting impact on memory utilization. I have not tried disabling everything else and only enabling one of these at a time.

Current Date/Time: 11/12/2017 11:52:05 AM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.383
Linux version: Linux rpi5855 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 2 Days 13 Hours 58 Minutes 12 Seconds
IP Address:
Number of Devices: 342
Number of Events: 184
Available Threads: 399
HSTouch Enabled: False
Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
2.0.71.0: BLSpeech
1.2.0.0: Device History
3.0.1.90: PHLocation
3.0.6413.20219: UltraNetCam3

Remote plugins
BLLAN
BLRF
JowiHue
Z-Wave
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

HELP!... My HS3 has crashed with a "HS3 has stopped working" message. I rebooted several times and get the same results when HS3 is starting up. I even went as far as downloading a backup version (2 days ago) and am getting the same message any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm DOA in regards to all things HS3. Mike

Last edited by MNB; November 12th, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:41 PM
OverSeer

@Mike is your NUC running an i7 and 16Gb of RAM and Windows 10 64 bit?

Are you running anything else on the NUC (CCTV or any third party applications)?

There are many folks running Homeseer 3 today on Windows 10 having no issues.

There are a few folks that have downgraded their W10 to Windows 7 (or W7e) these days.

Have you tested running HS3 with no plugins enabled then enabling one at a time?

or

downgraded to a version of HS3 before the HSTouch was built in the core HS3? (like previous standard release before V.368 - maybe V.318?)

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.387 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old November 12th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Seer Deluxe

@Pete, short answer is yes.

Missed your second question.. No only HS3
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
There are many folks running Homeseer 3 today on Windows 10 having no issues.

There are a few folks that have downgraded their W10 to Windows 7 (or W7e) these days.

Have you tested running HS3 with no plugins enabled then enabling one at a time?
I was one of those folks but for some reason something changed.

This is a clean PC with W10 Pro installed

I would if I could get HS3 to come-up. It goes through the motions (green progress bar), I can see my log begin doing the initialization stuff and then green progress bar gets to the end and it crash's/Hang's and I get the message "HS3 has stopped working" message.

Is there any Windows logs that I can inspect to see what caused it?
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
HELP!... My HS3 has crashed with a "HS3 has stopped working" message. I rebooted several times and get the same results when HS3 is starting up. I even went as far as downloading a backup version (2 days ago) and am getting the same message any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm DOA in regards to all things HS3. Mike
Since your backup that was running a couple of days ago It seems like it is an O/S problem rather than a HomeSeer problem. I have several questions:
  • Is there an error code when it stops working? Can you get a screenshot of the error popup when HS3 stops working?
  • Have you looked at the Windows Event Viewer for errors?
  • What antivirus/malware program are you running?
  • What are your UAC settings?
  • Was there a Windows update just before it stopped working?
  • Did you change anything in your computer's or HomeSeer configuration?
  • You were trying to get DB Charting going yesterday, did you copy all 3 files to the \bin\Jon00DBChart:
    • HSCF.dll
    • Scheduler.dll
    • HomeSeerAPI.dll
    Are the above files all the same version and in both the HomeSeer root as well as \bin\Jon00DBChart?

Last edited by rprade; November 12th, 2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Correction
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Is there an error code when it stops working? Can you get a screenshot of the error popup when HS3 stops working?
There is no error code other than "HS3 has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Quote:
Have you looked at the Windows Event Viewer for errors?
No I haven't but as you've suggested I've included a screen capture (see attached)

Quote:
What antivirus/malware program are you running?
Windows Defender

Quote:
What are your UAC settings?
"Never Notify"

Quote:
Was there a Windows update just before it stopped working?
Not that I'm aware of

Quote:
Did you change anything in your computer's or HomeSeer configuration?
No

Quote:
You were trying to get DB Charting going yesterday, did you copy all 4 files to the \bin\Jon00DBChart:
HS3.exe
HSCF.dll
Scheduler.dll
HomeSeerAPI.dll
Are the above files all the same version and in both the HomeSeer root as well as \bin\Jon00DBChart?
The procedure suggests only; HSCF.dll, Scheduler.dll, and HomeSeerAPI.dll files it did not indicate a HS3.exe file. And yes I copied them from the actual directories.

I would have thought that if I copied my entire backup from two days earlier before I ever messed with DB Charting that it would negate this.

I was thinking about downloading and installing a clean version of v.318 to ensure that all of the hooks/registry entries are refreshed and start from there your thoughts? Mike
Attached Images

Old November 12th, 2017, 02:52 PM
OverSeer

Looks to be a dot net issue.

Hold off on the charting stuff and try again.

Curious why one of your forms error ...Jon00PerfMonHS3.Form1 is in Chinese.(System.Object) at..
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:47 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
There is no error code other than "HS3 has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

No I haven't but as you've suggested I've included a screen capture (see attached)

Windows Defender

"Never Notify"

Not that I'm aware of

No

The procedure suggests only; HSCF.dll, Scheduler.dll, and HomeSeerAPI.dll files it did not indicate a HS3.exe file. And yes I copied them from the actual directories.

I would have thought that if I copied my entire backup from two days earlier before I ever messed with DB Charting that it would negate this.

I was thinking about downloading and installing a clean version of v.318 to ensure that all of the hooks/registry entries are refreshed and start from there your thoughts? Mike
My bad on the files. You are correct, it is only 3, HS3.exe doesn't need to be there. Your problem seems like it could be due to something with the perfmon script.

Try backing that out by commenting out by adding a single quote in front of it and saving it.

hs.Launch (hs.GetAppPath & "\Jon00PerfMonHS3.exe","","",0)

If that doesn't cure the problem, did you add the following line to your startup script?

hs.Launch (hs.GetAppPath & "\bin\Jon00DBChart\Jon00DBChartingHS3.exe","","",0)

If not, it needs to be there. If you did add it try commenting it out. Then try starting.
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

Firstly many thanxs Randy and Pete for supporting me. Ok... I'm back, up and running once again . I was going down the path of thinking something was wrong with my Windows and/or dll's. So I did the easy things first;
  1. I removed HS3 using Windows Add/remove application
  2. I deleted my HomeSeer HS directories along with their files.
  3. I installed a clean v.368 from HomeSeer download.
  4. Ensured that it could come up and run without the application crash message, which it did
  5. I then took a backup for 11/1/17 which was well before I decided to got a beta version and also messed around with Db Charting application. And ran HS3 to ensure that it came up without crashing (which it did). I shut it down properly and restarted again to ensure that any wrinkles (software wise) as seen in HS Log which it did and I'm now up and running.
  6. I've turned on my Resource Monitor for the time being to ensure that I don't have any buggers hiding in machine

One of the things that I noticed before "the crash", was that my SONOS TTS events were being severely clipped to almost non existent to where I was ready to comment within the SONO forum. Currently they seem to be back and working. Also last night I attempted to disable the SONO PI but it would take a number of minutes 2-4) before it would either disable or re-enable - some general observations.

Current Resource indicates;
CPU is 2%
Memory is 169,100 (KB)

Last edited by MNB; November 12th, 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:46 PM
OverSeer

Good news Mike!!