www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer UPB Plug-In (Beta)

HomeSeer UPB Plug-In (Beta) Discussion area for HomeSeer's UPB Plug-In

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM
OverSeer

No.

I have the HAI plugin configured not to create any devices.

I can disconnect the serial connection and try again.

Quote:
4/30/2013 9:03:02 PM Plug-In Shutting down generic Plug-In: HAI_System
4/30/2013 9:03:02 PM HAI System HAI Plug-In Shutting Down, Port Closed, Goodbye.
Disconnected the serial cable, shut down HS and restarted it. I have disconnected the serial link a few times over periods of time in the last few months due to an issue I am currently having with the HAI panel.

Works as before. Using Snap-Link and turning on and off and dimming I see the status change in the variable. Using the HS variable to turn on and off and dim the device I see the changes in Snap-link. Logging is enabled but I only see the status changes when I use the homeseer variable and do not see any logging when the device is changed via Snaplink.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; April 30th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM
Seer Deluxe

Thank you for testing that out, I figured as much

I cant figure out what the heck is going on

I might install a fresh copy of Homeseer on another box temporally and see what happens.

Thank you
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
OverSeer

I'm guessing that ran upstart on the Homeseer computer and saved the configuration in the homeseer directory recently eh?
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Seer Deluxe

Yes, I export UPE file to the proper HS directoy
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
OverSeer

So you did validate the Homeseer connected serial PIM with Upstart (signals to and from, signal strength, taps on switches reporting status to the PIM stuff eh?)?

I do have an HAI phase signal repeater in place and also phase couplers (HAI, SA and PCS). I think I did disconnect the phase couplers in the last couple of years.

I did have a signal issue that cropped up when the neighbors installed an inground pool / pump etc. It was an odd thing cuz my UPB signals had been great. That issue went away with the UPB repeater.

Here I was a bit "PO'd" with the first HAI serial PIM being defective as I thought my OPII was bad (which was an upgraded one having replaced the chip FW upgrade legacy to the software FW upgrade newer panel).

I almost reconsidered the use/transition to UPB in general. There are posts that state the best PIM is the PCS PIM. I have never tried a PCS UPB PIM.

I didn't really pay attention to the UPB PIM and the OPII events as they were triggering just fine and on schedule and I never looked at the status. (from the old X10 days ingrained in my head still)

I do have the bedroom table top HS touch screen reporting status of some of the UPB lighting today. (not as fast as I would like or what I see with the Omnitouch screens / Snaplink, et al).

I looked up the warranty period for the PIM and it is two years. I remember though comparing the HAI versus PCS warranty's and the PCS was longer.

Last edited by Pete; May 1st, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
OverSeer

What type of switch are you using? I know some of the other switches can be set to NOT broadcast links/status.

I have all US2-40 from SA, which all ONLY work if you use a link...so I've never had this issue. But I can imagine if you have a 11-30 or 40, you can set it to not update any status. I do not have these, so I do not know for certain.

Check in upstart that you are in fact sending out a link. If you are unsure, post a screen capture of one of your problem switches configuration pages.

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

All but 2 are HAI 35A00-1, The other 2 are Simply Automated

The issue isnt the switch sending status, the issue is that HomeSeer is not receiving the UPB communication that is being sent from the second PIM connected to my HAI panel

It is my understanding that UPB switches only report status when the rocker is pressed and NOT when the switch is controlled by other means.

Thank you
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM
OverSeer

That is correct. The switch will only report local changes. The switch is responding to a network communication when it changes because of a link or direct command. The PIM on HS should see all network communications. With the plug-in on debug mode it will report *ALL* RAW UPB that the PIM receives on the line. If you don't see activity in the log when a switch is being remotely controlled then that traffic is not reaching the PIM.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4ni View Post
All but 2 are HAI 35A00-1, The other 2 are Simply Automated

The issue isnt the switch sending status, the issue is that HomeSeer is not receiving the UPB communication that is being sent from the second PIM connected to my HAI panel

It is my understanding that UPB switches only report status when the rocker is pressed and NOT when the switch is controlled by other means.

Thank you
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
OverSeer

Here I utilize debug for comm of the UPB plugin and do see activity. I utilize Upstart to guage the signal strengths of the to and from traffic. You can do both easily. Confirm the comm with both; its really painless.

IE: just pause the plugin and run Upstart; post your signal bar graphs from the 2nd PIM to the HS PIM.

Personally and a best guess is that your UPB 2nd PIM to Homeseer PIM signal is not getting there (on the opposite phase of electric) or you have a defective PIM which does good at sending but not recieving (which was my issue a while ago).

Really more than likely its an issue of going across a phase using either a phase coupler or phase repeater. There are wierd differences of out of phase and in phase couplers and repeaters. It is one of those magical UPB things that sometimes do occur.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Seer Deluxe

Just did some testing,

Paused the UPB plugin and ran upstart.

started the UPB interface diganostic

When i press a rocker the signal is excellent

When i turn a switch on/off from snap link the noise meter jumps up
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Seer Deluxe

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!!!

I just got a long extension cord and plugged my HAI PIM in the the same outlet as my Homeseer PIM and evertyhing works as expected! HELL YEA!

guess i need to make sure both outlets are on the same leg

Thank you
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
OverSeer

Great news in4ni!

Relating to your HV switches you can either move them all to the same phase to keeping them on opposite phases use a phase coupler or phase repeater. Here having some 55 plus breakers I opted to utilize a phase repeater.

My wife helped me document each breaker and I put a drawing on the panel door to serve as a reference. On my SquareD fuse panel there are two sides of breakers. Each breaker alternates phases down one side.
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Seer Deluxe

After all this crap I discovered having my APC1500 Battery backup pluggend into the same outlet as my HAI PIM was causing the problem. I wonder why that was causing my receive problems?

Guess ill be running another circuit into that closet this weekend

Thank you for all your help
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM
OverSeer

Yup; here in the midwest I have conduit and a bunch such that most of the piping is not really that full; such that running new wires is a bit easier.

That and my comm closet - a basement wall is adjacent to the fuse panel. That said I put a "few" single gang boxes outside of the fuse panel (UPB, Z-Wave, X-10 and Insteon).

These are wired serially to a Digi Edgeport adjacent to the fuse panel. Two edgeports are wired over to one USB hub to one USB cable to Homeseer some 25 feet away in the computer "rack". So basically here the PIMs are adjacent with single circuits / breakers right to fuse panel. This works for me. In the old house I did similiar except I ran a serial cable for a CM11 A two floors up and into the attic where the Homeseer server was.

BTW Home automation is more of a DIY hobby here on the Homeseer forum.

Geez my parrot these days is even involved in the automation (easier than using my wife to test stuff).
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thank you guys for all your help, Now i can move on the the next annoying issue, Controlling HAI outputs from homeseer.

Again, thank you
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM
OverSeer

I do not do this today with my HAI OPII panel.

That said I have "migrated" to utilizing no defined devices in the last couple of years.

The plugin utilizes the old serial HAI protocols and is a bit antiquated. Its also not been updated in quit a few years.

Last edited by Pete; May 2nd, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Seer Deluxe

Yea, I wonder why Homeseer doesnt care about the HAI plugin any more.