No Devices in the Alexa App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Devices in the Alexa App

I have HS3 Std. I have an Amazon Echo. The Echo/Alexa app has two profiles associated with it (my wife and I). I have enabled the HomeSeer skill in both profiles.

I only have one device at this point a Schlage Zwave Deadbolt (device name "Front Door Lock".

I have successfully give Alexa the following commands:

1.) Alexa, Tell HomeSeer, to Lock the Front Door Lock. She asks for a confirmation I respond yes and she locks the front door.

2.) Alexa, Tell HomeSeer, to Unlock the Front Door Lock. She asks for a confirmation I respond yes and she unlocks the front door.

3.) Alexa, Tell HomeSeer, to get the status of, the Front Door Lock. She responds with the status.

If I open the Alexa app (web, phone, or Fire Tablet) and go to SmartHome and click on Discover Devices it displays a blue progress bar and "Discovers" devices, but none are listed. The last time I did this (after successfully completing the above 3 commands) she responds that she could not find any smart home devices.

I then gave her those commands again and she successfully completed them.

Below is just one of the action's log entries:

May-08 8:06:09 PM Z-Wave Device: First Floor Entryway Front Door Lock Set to 255

May-08 8:06:08 PM TTS Speak (json:OK, I will lock the front door locked

May-08 8:06:08 PM ASR Device voice command: lock the front door locked

May-08 8:06:08 PM Info Heard: yes

May-08 8:06:02 PM TTS Speak (json:Please confirm lock the front door locked?

May-08 8:06:02 PM Info Heard: lock the front door locked

Question, why doesn't the Alexa App show this device?

Thanks

Chuck

As I understand it, currently Alexa only supports on/off devices or dim as well as some thermostat controls. It would be nice if Amazon adds locks to their smart home stuff. Would be nice to just say "Alexa, lock the door" but currently you have to do it with the skill, which is an entirely different animal than their smart home api.

Comment

Alexa App Devices

So what you are saying is that if you use the API (which at this time doesn't support locks) you would get a listing of devices in the Alexa App. If you are using the skill there are no devices listed in the Alexa App, but because the skill works you can operate your locks you just have to tell it "Tell HomeSeer to".

Correct?

Thanks

Chuck

Comment

That's correct

Comment

Alexa API

I am having a new furnace installed this Friday and I have already purchased a Honeywell Zwave thermostat that the A/C guy is going to put in as part of the job. Have you used the API with a thermostat?

Which do you think works better the API or the skill with a thermostat?

Thanks

Chuck

Comment

I'm using the Honeywell Z-Wave thermostat that Homeseer had on sale in their store a while back. Quire a few people are here from what I've seen.

Comment

Working...
            X