Skill with Schlage z-wave locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skill with Schlage z-wave locks

I have multiple zwave locks and cant get the skill to recognize them. Has anyone had any luck with them? Each lock has multiple sections. I'm using the following command:

Alexa, Tell HomeSeer to Unlock The Door Lock In The Mud Room

I've tried about 20 different ways and it always comes back with "I couldn't find the device". Below is the configuration for my zwave locks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1208856

I can control lights.

Also, Is there any way to have the Echo report what devices it does 'see' through the skill? Would be a great addition to be able to report this to your echo page (like a shopping list)

I can control locks ok.

Try this:

Temporarily rename the door lock to zebra

Then

Alexa tell home seer to unlock zebra

If that works, you know it can find and operate the lock. Then you know it is pronunciation or syntax or duplication.

Comment

Same Issue

I am having the same problem with the Amazon Echo and a Yale z wave lock.
      I get the exact same response. I am using "Door Lock" for the device name as per hs recommendations. Every other device I have responds to the Echo after reconfiguring the floors, room and device. I can even open and close my garage door.

I tried changing the name of the device to "zebra" as suggested. It still did not work. I don't think it is a syntax error.

I wondered if anyone could chime in with ideas to make the lock respond to echo voice control. I asked hs tech support and they did not know and suggested I post here.

Thanks

Comment

Definitely check your echo history page on the echo configuration site after voicing commands. It logs everything you say so you can look and see what it thinks you're saying.

I used to have trouble with our deck door lock. Alexa kept thinking I was saying "duck door lock" or something else. I ended up renaming it to 'back door' and it's worked much better. Every once in awhile it thinks I'm saying "tack door lock", but it correctly recognizes it most of the time.

Comment

Silly question, did you remember to check the 'voice command' checkbox for the 'Door Lock' device? I have a Schlage lock as well and got the same response until I enabled the voice command.

Comment

Not specifically for locks, but I have much greater success by saying the location first and then the device name: "tell Homeseer to unlock the mud room door lock" or maybe "tell Homeseer to set the mud room door lock to unlock" .

Comment

Door Locks

There seems to be some quasi-rule out there about voice recognition and door locks - as in you can't use them together due to the security implications. There may be reasons other than syntax or pronunciation that zebra works in place of lock. I know I've seen the prohibition mentioned in the Alexa documentation.

I currently use a Wink to lock the doors until I get Homeseer configured. Wink won't allow you to use "robots" (Wink version of macros) to unlock doors for the same reason. Of course since Wink occasionally does things when it feels like I don't think it matters.

Comment

Our code for the API is looking for a control use of on, off, or dim, so for the API to work you would need to have the lock device reflect that.

The skill should work for the lock as it's looking for the command on a status pair and implementing the value it represents.
                Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Working...
                X