No announcement yet.

Best Freezer Temp Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm the one who hijacked this thread!

Pete, about 2 months ago, my HS3 1-wire network stopped working. I tracked it down to to xapmcs1wire.exe. This communication program is needed to talk to the HS3 xAP plugin. For some unknown reason it now refuses to run under Windows 10. I believe that a recent win 10 update is blocking it because it is a security risk. So I am now (for about a month) running my xAP 1-wire stuff on an old windows XP Netbook and using JSON to send the values back to my main HS3 computer. This is a temporary solution. This is why I am interested in other approaches.

Bdraper, the Arduino approach you are using looks very nice. I will definitely explore this more as time permits.

For me, 1-wire/xAP technology has been very disappointing. I invested a large amount of effort with it for HS2. Now, with HS3, it is falling apart. It looks like I will now have to redo something that worked well for me in the past. 2 steps forward, 1 step back .

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
      This sensor is received by the RFXtrx433E and RFXrec433E
      with the latest Ext2 firmware flashed.
      http://www.ambientweather.com/amf007tp.html
      I have the RFXCOM RFXrec433 433.92 MHz USB Receiver. I am not detecting the ambient F007TP. I guess I need to update the firmware on the receiver. How do I do that?
      Thanks. Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        I think I'm the one who hijacked this thread!

For some unknown reason it now refuses to run under Windows 10. I believe that a recent win 10 update is blocking it because it is a security risk.
        Steve Q

Check the firewall is configured to allow the specific communication locally. See below as an example.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...0&postcount=44

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
          I have the RFXCOM RFXrec433 433.92 MHz USB Receiver. I am not detecting the ambient F007TP. I guess I need to update the firmware on the receiver. How do I do that?
          Thanks. Elliott
          Ext2 firmware cannot be flashed in the RFXrec433 but only in the RFXrec433E!
          Check the type on the enclosure.

The flash procedure is described in the RFXtrx User Guide, available on the rfxcom.com downloads page.

Comment

Ext2 firmware cannot be flashed in the RFXrec433 but only in the RFXrec433E!
            Check the type on the enclosure.

The flash procedure is described in the RFXtrx User Guide, available on the rfxcom.com downloads page.
            Thanks. The label on the back states "RFXrec433E." I hope that is correct.

Elliott
            "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Yes, you can flash Ext2 in your device.
              An example how to configure alarm and warning messages on the sensor:
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, you can flash Ext2 in your device.
                An example how to configure alarm and warning messages on the sensor:
                Thanks. To be safe, the "Important_ReadMe.txt" file that I downloaded from your site states in part: "RFXtrx433-Ext and RFXtrx433-Ext2 firmware will only operate in the RFXtrx433E." It does not explicitly state that it will also operate in the RFXrec433E. So, I am assuming from what you wrote, that it will operate on this.
                Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                  Check the firewall is configured to allow the specific communication locally. See below as an example.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...0&postcount=44

Thanks for this tip. I changed the settings in the Windows 10 firewall and now xapmcs1wire.exe will run. I am surprised that my Norton 360 did not take care of this when I approved xapmcs1wire.exe to run.

Thanks again, I would never have fixed this on my own.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
                    I have the RFXCOM RFXrec433 433.92 MHz USB Receiver. I am not detecting the ambient F007TP. I guess I need to update the firmware on the receiver..
                    I successfully updated the firmware on my device and ultimately found the Ambient device. In RFXCOM it is seen as "FineOffset,Viking 02038,TSS320,Proove311501" sensor. RFXCOM generates 3 devices: temperature, humidity, and battery status. The F007TP, which I have, is not also a humidity sensor, so the "Humidity Sensor" is to be ignored, if you have this model. Elliott

Comment

I lost a lot of meat some time back when my freezer breaker tripped (no idea why). BTW spoiled beef odor really expanded the WAF for HA solutions !!

I wanted to put a wired probe in the freezer but didn't dare drill a hole the case. This sensor - Everspring Z-Wave Temperature & Humidity Sensor (ST814-2) is working for me now. Too soon to know about battery life but the signal is getting through the case.

Paul
                      Last edited by Pnord; August 26, 2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

When I installed my Elk M1G system I used this device:

https://www.security.honeywell.com/h...ion/21671.html

It has an optional remote temp sensor which I put in the back of my freezer (inside). I don't believe the small wire that goes to the remote sensor will compromise the door seal. I've had it this way for 11 years without any problem. So I use the remote sensor for freezer, and base sensor for garage ambient temp. The M1G tells my Homeseer Pro if there is an alarm on either circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Here did see a way to run a wired sensor when playing with the ice maker on the Kenmore Elite. The ice maker repair was low on the WAF at the time (had her move everything in there to another freezer for a few hours).

Basically you just need to follow the water lines for the ice maker for the freezer section and the wires to the control panel for the refrigerator section. Easy access these days.

Here relating to 1-wire purchased a few 1 wire sealed probes that came in a set with a 9097 USB 1-wire sensor a few years ago.

I am looking at the Accurite sensors though because of the local display and wireless connection to the RFXCom or Meteostick stuff.

It will function independently and provide stats to Homeseer. Hopefully I can tap in to one of the LED lamps for power. (freezer has three and frig has four).

Currently the front LCD display shows freezer and frig temp.

~$16.99 on Ebay...

[ATTACH]62838[/ATTACH]

Pete - what 433 unit do you have? I have an old one and not sure it will support it but I really like this!!! I may have to buy one as I like the front display. wonder if I can put one in my garage freezer and put the monitor on the wall then another of these in my fridge in the kitchen.
                          would be a straight line hah... sensor ==> 19' to screen ==> 20-25' to fridge
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I do not own an RFxCom device.

Been helping a HS Peer with his RFxCom stuff.

[ATTACH]63345[/ATTACH]

I configured permanent Linux links for his two devices (USB to Serial) and it is working well now.

What does work with the Accurite is the Meteostick.

Only thing is that there are no Homeseer drivers / plugins for it.

I am switching over here to using the Meteostick / WeeWx (Linux) for my Davis stuff. I have a Meteostick.

Basically both the Davis console and Meteostick work at the same time. The Meteostick can see more wireless weather station stuff like Accurite stuff.

I think though the newest RFXComm firmware works with Accurite stuff...you will need to ask.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I'm looking for a way to remotely monitor or alert my freezers. Had my freezer door cracked open (again) last week. Luckily I caught it before it got too bad, but still unfortunate.

I'm surprised there's not a tried-and-true way to do this. Maybe I mean cheap and easy

Comment

This temperature sensor can be mounted outside the freezer for maximum range and is received by the RFXrec433E and RFXtrx433E:
                                https://www.ambientweather.com/amf007tp.html

Comment

Working...
                                X