No announcement yet.

3-Way or 4-Way wiring with all HS-WD100+ dimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the above assessment. I played with Linked Devices and it should work. In my test I linked two HS-WD100+ switches to each other, so switching either one caused the other to follow. You should be able to do this in a looped daisy chain manner when there are more than 2 switches. Expensive way to get the LED status everywhere, but should work.

Edit: I also agree the wiring between switch boxes should be done like normal 3-way wiring in case you want to take out the Z-Wave switches and put normal switches in. If you ever decide to sell the house, automation can sometimes scare off potential buyers.

Comment

Intersting. I prefer no travelers and to use z-wave association to make multiway circuits. I've done one complete house this way. I will be doing a major remodel on my house later this year and hope the WD200 will have firmware updated to fully support direct association.

Light control has changed a lot. Switches will be touched less and less. I find no reason anymore to mechanically switch lights from multiple locations. Physical multiway control is clearly going legacy.

My wiring spec for the electrician is simple deep switch box, neutral in all boxes, and no wiring hot. I tell him I will provide all devices.

I have my first HM100/200 in hand. I'm somewhat disappoint that mechanically they are inelegant. They remind me of the cheaper leviton z-wave devices. I'll get over that issue if the leds can be programed as I want.

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
        ...... If you ever decide to sell the house, automation can sometimes scare off potential buyers.
        With direct association the new owner would not know how the switching was done. I've done both gen 4 and gen 5 z-wave this way for four years and have had exactly zero failures over multiple houses. A new home owner will need to call a HA company instead of an electrician to repair or alter switching, but they won't need a hub.

I do think pulling a traveler in new construction in a few location is still perhaps best practice, especially on stairs. But pulling many travelers to a large gang of mechanical switches in kitchen/family/master is just unnecessary today IMO.

Comment

Working...
        X