No announcement yet.

Compatibility with OmniStat2's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found HAI to be very responsive to support enquiries. Have you tried emailing them, or calling?

Comment

Originally posted by rirvine View Post
      I've found HAI to be very responsive to support enquiries. Have you tried emailing them, or calling?
      No, I've not. Contacting the mfg is usually my very last resort, but I'll give them a shot. Thanks....

Comment

Curious to see your progress Ben. I may be buying one of these thermostats myself.

Comment

Great thermostat, but no luck with HS yet

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
          Curious to see your progress Ben. I may be buying one of these thermostats myself.
          I sent HAI support an email this weekend. I'll let you know if hear anything useful this week.

This is a great thermostat and I love it. Tons of features. It may be simple to hook up to HS, but I just can't get mine to work. I had a working RC-80B that went flaky after some lightning so ordered the RC-2000 (I wanted the humidity reading on this model).

The stock colors and wiring indication on the RC-2000 were slightly different than the RC-80, but I tried to hook up with 3 wires (as indicated in the manual) as well as 4 wires (like the RC-80). No luck. I messed with baud settings on the thermostat (lots of speed options) as well as on my host.

I also built a test cable to run across the house to ensure the data cable through the attic didn't go bad with the lightning. I couldn't get this to work, but it's very tedious work getting the pinouts in a 9 pin serial connection lined up with an RJ-45 connection and then matched up to the right colors/terminals at the thermostat. I think I did it correctly (I did this successfully before), but I didn't spend much time redoing it when it didn't work with my test cable.

So I don't know what the issue is. At this point it's probably wrong wiring information. I'm working off serial pinouts for the RC-80 as that's all I have. It could also be a bad data cable and/or my test cable wasn't perfect. No telling at this point.

I'm eager to see the Ethernet connectivity option their working on. They don't have an ETA for it, but I assume it'd be a heck of a lot easier to configure than serial. But it remains to be seen if the ethernet connectivity will be compatible with HS. Hopefully it will be.

If you NEED a thermostat now, I'd highly recommend this one now. It's great on it's own if you can be patient with HS connectivity and wait for the options to come out, or figure out how to get it to work with serial.

Comment

No go yet

Originally posted by benposton View Post
            I sent HAI support an email this weekend. I'll let you know if hear anything useful this week.
            Here is what I received as a response from HAI:
            You can take the advice a couple different ways as it wasn't dead-on specific. So I hooked up the "black" wire to the N/C terminal and it didn't work still. I then hooked up the "red" wire to the N/C terminal and kept the "black" wire disconnected. HS still acted as if there was no connectivity (ie, -48 degrees still the reported current temp in HS). But then the heat kicks on, it's 110 degrees heat index outside, and the RC-2000 is saying that it's cooling. Almost as if I had wires swapped going to my HVAC. But they're not swapped. So I'm giving up for now. Probably just going to wait for the simpler connectivity options.

Comment

Ben, did you ever manage to get these new stats working with HS?

Does anyone else have the Omnistat2 installed and communicating?

Thanks,
              Don

Comment

Not working yet - but gave up

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
                Ben, did you ever manage to get these new stats working with HS?
                I never got mine working. I expect that it should, but I just don't have the time to troubleshoot it right now. I'd love to hear of someone having success with it.

Comment

Has anyone else tried the Omnistat2 since Ben posted his experience? I'm still interested in these stats, but not willing to buy three of them with the chance that they really won't work with HS.

Any chance that HST can get their hands on one to test?

Thanks
                  Don

Comment

Don,

If you want to try one and you can't get it to work, I'll refund your money!
                    Martin Custer

Comment

Martin,

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I'll be in touch if/when I decide to try...

Don

Comment

Better wiring instructions from HAI

I had a few minutes today and decided to work on connecting my RC-2000 to Homeseer again. I emailed HAI to ask for more specific instructions, and which pins on the RC-2000 correlated with the pins in a DB-9F serial connection. They responded in minutes with more specific instructions that I though others should have access to. Here it is:

1. On the DB-9F connector: Connect pins 7 and 8 together. (RTS and CTS)
                        2. On the DB-9F connector: Connect pins 1, 6 and 4 together (DCD, DTR and DSR)
                        3. Connect pin 4 of the DB-9F to the YELLOW connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (DTR)
                        4. Connect pin 3 of the DB-9F to the GREEN connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (TXD)
                        5. Connect pin 2 of the DB-9F to the BLACK connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (RXD)
                        6. Connect pin 5 of the DB-9F to the N/C connector on the COMM portion of the connectors on the thermostat back housing. (GND)

Now, my results....

I decided to skip the RJ-45 to serial adapter as I can hardly make out the pins/wire colors on the inside of the adapter to properly match up the pins. So I took the easy route and decided to simply splice the wires together from a DB-9 to the COMM using CAT-5e cable.

I prepared my DB-9 connector and then took off the RC-2000 panel to hook up the COMM connections on the thermostat terminals. Fairly straight forward job.... But when I plugged my RC-2000 unit back in, my heat comes on and the thermostat says it is cooling. Makes absolutely no sense.

The other end of my cat-5 cable is plugged into nothing. It is still in an RJ-45 plug so there is no shorting of the wires. Yet something is turning the heat on in the house and it's close to 90 degrees outside, so the house is unbearable within 5 minutes. This is the same thing that happened to me last time I messed with this. I think it has more to do with the fact that the thermostat was unplugged and plugged back in. Probably more so than hooking up the comm connections (especially since nothing was plugged in on the other end). So I called HAI and they will send me a replacement.

So I probably have a bad thermostat. Don't hesitate to try to connect your RC-2000 to HS due to my issues. I hope to have mine working with HS as soon as I get a replacement.

Comment

Ben,

It is probably not a bad HAI thermostat. We ran into this issue and the guys tested it in our integration lab. What they found out is that the HAI documentation is incorrect in the wiring instructions for a serial connection.

I can't tell you specifically because I didn't do the testing but there is an issue in that two of the wires are reversed in the wiring diagram provided by HAI. HAI was unaware of this issue since it doesn't effect the wiring to the HAI panel.

Please call our tech support line and the guys will tell you the specifics.

214-245-4594. When you call, ask for Ralph or Trey. Either one of these guys call tell you how to correct the problem.
                          Martin Custer

Comment

Did you get a hold of Ralph?
                            Martin Custer

Comment

Yes, thank you

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet View Post
                              Did you get a hold of Ralph?
                              I did get a hold of Ralph, but he didn't seem familiar with the issue with the heat coming on. I got the thermostat reconnected and the heat didn't come on this time (although the "heat in cool mode" issue is intermittent) and again attempted to connect the comm and was unsuccessful.

I know it is connected correctly and I tried multiple RS-232 to USB adapters with no luck in HS. That's now 3-4 times when I've hooked it up to HS and it should have worked. This thermostat has been flaky all along so I felt I should just start fresh with a new one, so I RMAed the unit and went ahead and sent it in.

Thanks for your help though. Ralph was helpful and very knowledgable, but I think I just need a new unit and not mess with that one anymore.

Comment

OK great.
                                Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                                X