USB Cat5 extender and Zwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Cat5 extender and Zwave

Is anyone using one of the many USB over Cat5 devices with a USB Zwave controller (either Zstick or Aeon)? My HS box is in my basement and I was hoping to locate my Zstick more centrally in the house. I did purchase one of these and it works but only for a bit, then HS looses connectivity to it. I am not sure if I have bad hardware of if this is just not a good fit for such a USB device.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi

I dont want to gatecrash your thread, but has anyone tried a z-wave usb with any of the USB LAN servers?

David
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Greetings,

Yes, I am using the Belkin Network USB Hub, F5L009 for about 3 months now. No problems so far. I have an the Z-Wave HA22 connected to it. My HomeSeer setup runs under a virtual XP session under ESXi.

I have not had any issues linked the the Belkin product yet.

Comment

Most USB devices work fine for me on either usb over cat5, or the belkin device.

The higherspeed stuff is more of a problem though. I think you should be fine with either solution with the zwave device though. My problems ran into trying to use high power and bandwidth devices such as the mimo monitor or a motorized webcam etc.
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Hi Guys

I am also using virtualisation... not VMware but Hyper-V on 2k8R2.

I have one of the Belkin USB LAN boxes, but am not using it as I have moved to a DIGI AnywhereUSB device.

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/any...b.jsp#overview

The Belkin has a great advantage, in that you can have multiple PCs connect to the various devices on the Belkin (you select each USB device and connect to it on each PC). The AnywhereUSB can only connect to one PC at a time and all devices are "connected" to that PC. For me, that was no issue as it only connects to the HS VM.

Why do I use the AnywhereUSB? - because I found that it supports a wider range of USB devices - even though the device spec does not necessarily suggest it will.

The Belkin is a great cheap option, and will probably work for most requirements.

There are alternative device drivers for the PC you can use - you are not stuck with the Belkin drivers.

David
          Last edited by Bestgear; October 27, 2009, 06:17 PM.
          ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Are you guys using these with HomeSeer Pro (that allows multiple Z Wave interfaces) to extend your Z Wave network over IP?

This could solve my issues of horribly unreliable Z Wave in my detached garage.

I have aluminum siding on my house and my garage - I can get acceptable reception to an older Intermatic 9.6 kb appliance module in the corner of my garage that is close to my house; I cannot get anything above poor to any other device in my garage.

If this truly works, you can use the newer Z wave sticks that adhere to the security class and extend coverage to door locks, etc.

Have you seen any issues with them falling of the network and causing Z wave reliability issues?

Thanks!

Travis

Comment

This is exactly what I was hoping would work, but I have not tried it yet (outside of a small test using some USB over Cat5 extenders that did not work well). If you try this, please let us know your results.

Scott

Comment

How are you using an HA22 as a remote interface?

Hello,

I see a whole bunch of options when it comes to the "main" interface; however I only see 4 options for remote interface: Serial (Z Troller), HomeSeer USB interface (the old ACT one) and Ethernet.

I would really like to try some other USB options (SmartStick, Aeon Labs, etc.) but can't seem to find support for them.

Thanks!!!

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by thedishking View Post
                  Hello,

I see a whole bunch of options when it comes to the "main" interface; however I only see 4 options for remote interface: Serial (Z Troller), HomeSeer USB interface (the old ACT one) and Ethernet.

I would really like to try some other USB options (SmartStick, Aeon Labs, etc.) but can't seem to find support for them.

Thanks!!!

Travis
                  I have HomeSeer running in a virtual XP w/SP3 session under ESXi. I have the Belkin Network USB Hub (F5L009) connected to a NetGear hub and the HA22 plugged into the Belkin. You install the latest Belkin drivers and in HomeSeer you setup to use the HA22. Works well. I have the Belkin drivers launch HomeSeer server after connection is made to the HA22.

btw: I am ditching the HA22. Very old non-upgradeable z-wave protocol. I should have my Z-Stick arriving tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X