Gate entry control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate entry control

I have been thinking about putting in a motorized gate in and I am wondering if anyone has information on what is needed to tie this in with my HomeSeer controller.

Thanks

What are you wanting to accomplish by tieing this to HomeSeer?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You should be able to use a hard wired or zwave relay to control a gate but it would depend on how the gate's motor is designed. The hard wired relay would have to interface with homseer via a adio board although if you had a security system such as ELK M1 you could hard wire the relay there too. The zwave relay would only require a Z-Trolller or something similar, but the relatively short range of zwave often makes it hard to use for gates. I use zwave relays to control my garage doors. I control my outdoor fountain and lights using insteon on/off switches (zwave didn't have the range), but your gate probably needs a relay as opposed to a switch.

Comment

I automated my front gate after it was already installed, so it took a bit of doing.

I had a GTO mechanism http://www.gtoinc.com/
        with aas keypad http://www.americanaccess.com/phonelink.htm

I ended up controlling the gate opening through the phone link by using Homeseer Phone and a cheap modem that sends out DTMF tones that control the keypad. This works very well.

I needed a way to know when the gate was opened or closed. This took some time to get right. I finally settled with a magnetic switch, wide gap for metal gates, hooked to a Zwave door/window sensor http://store.homeseer.com/store/Ever...-P1083C57.aspx It was a real challenged snaking the wires through the hollow metal gate from the center to the sides and then to the brick column where I put the Everspring inside the water tight box where the gate controls live.

If I had it to do over, I would see if there are any keypads that natively can be integrated into homeseer, ie that allow RS232 or ethernet control, but I dont know if such exist.

BTW, I tried controlling the gate with homeseer and a wireleless remote through a WayneDalton gateway device, but it was spotty and I wouldnt recommend going through wireless.

Comment

This all seems like a lot of "stuff" to control a gate where a remote would suffice but again it all depends on what you are attempting to accomplish.

http://www.amazinggates.com/Monthly_...FckEQAodDDOO4g
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            What are you wanting to accomplish by tieing this to HomeSeer?
            Just to add it to this list of automated items, this way I can open it via key fob or phone. ...now to check the responses left. Thanks guys for the feedback.

Comment

Ok, upon reading the responses and looking at the site Rupp linked to... I have a better idea of what I am getting myself into. And a keypad that talked to insteon or zwave would be nice... If they exist. Has anyone seen a keypad or a motor that talks to anything HomeSeer talks to? (insteon,wave,etc) if not I guess the relay is the best route? Unless there are other suggestions.

Comment

I have a GTO slide gate interfaced to HS, but for historical reasons the interface is through my Stargate. The SG provides a relay closure to open the gate (the relay acts as a button press) and a digital input to monitor if the gate is open or closed. Both can be done directly from HS, though. The ADIO-100 board, for example, provides digital input capability, and the RelayBee works well as a way for HS to control a relay.

I would strongly recommend expending the effort to bury wire (Cat5 in conduit works well) between the gate controller and the house. The trench does not need to be wide or deep and the effort will repay itself many times over in added reliability. If you put a pull cord in the conduit you can add additional wire in the future if you choose, although I'd recommend that you use conduit 2 sizes bigger than you need to reduce the resistance to pulling cable.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Front gate control

Hi, I'm hoping to install a simple keypad hard wired via cat 6 to my home seer controlled net work. This Keypad would need actuate the motor which opens and controls the gate. Does anyone know what to use/ how to effect this?

Your help much appreciated.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisO View Post
                    Hi, I'm hoping to install a simple keypad hard wired via cat 6 to my home seer controlled net work. This Keypad would need actuate the motor which opens and controls the gate. Does anyone know what to use/ how to effect this?
                    More information would be helpful.
                    -Do you already have a gate installed? If so, is it already motorized?
                    -What is the brand and model of the gate opener?
                    -How do/would you operate it without HS involvement?
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

gate control

The gate is about 1200 feet from the house. It is connected by cat 6 cable and repeaters. I need a system to alert me to someone at the gate, and IP camera to see them, and two way audio to speak with them and a switch to actuate the motor to open and close the gate. I would like to be able to do this whether I am home or not.

The gate has not yet been purchased (I started to think about this last fall, then it got too cold here in Canada, so we all went inside for about 4 months!).

Regards

Chris

Comment

If you need more automation :-) (don't we all) I suggest this:

http://www.pepperl-fuchs.co.uk/great...assid_1582.htm

It is magnetic loops that lies 5-10 cm. under ground and they sensor a car above them.
                        The work under show and and are SUPER reliable.
                        I have 2 sets with 2 loops on each side of the gates.

This enable me to measure incomming and outgoing cars on both side of the gate. If am I am home the gates open automatically -> and announcement on Sonos+HS touch with picture is triggered. If I am away I get e-mail and SMS with gate picture etc. all this i controlled by Homeseer. and an RFX.com IO board.

The inside loops enables me to wait for the car to enter the yard and close the gates thereafter. And to open the gates when somebody are leaving.

I live in denmark with lots of snow and therefore IR beams etc. are not the best solution.
                        Best,
                        Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

I have a gate as well and it has a garage door style push button in my garage, so my plan is to put an evolve in there just as you would with a garage door. I am just trying now to figure out how to weatherproof a z-wave door sensor so I am hang one on the gate and know whether or not it has been opened.

Comment

has anyone considered putting a lightsensitive resistor into a small tube in the gate pillar and let it point towards where the front lights of a car would beam?
                            Connected to an IO one could "Morse code" to Homeseer and trigger an event?

My gates closes from the magnetic loop sensors for security between 23:00 and 06:00 - this could be overruled by a Morse code from the head lights..

anyone with experience in this?
                            Best,
                            Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

gate control system design

It has finally come time to build this gate. I would like it to function in the following way.

1. I would like to have keypad which I can hard wire to my network that can integrate with homeseer, ie I can allocate access numbers though homeseer, and once and access number is entered, it can trigger an event ie opening gate, and record via what ever way what time the gate was opened and by whom, perhaps by sending and email or other log. There would be a keypad on on the inside and on the outside of the gate so that people can open it from when entering and exiting.

2. The gate would then need to close automatically after a certain time. There would need to be a sensor in the gate post that if actuated prevented the gate from closing on a what ever was actuating the sensor.

3. There would need to be the ability to open the gate and close it at a certain time, and leave it open or closed, ie deactivate the automatic closure of the gate when necessary

4. I would need an outdoor IP camera that I could use to see the person at the gate

5. And a two way audio system so that I could communicate with them, and let them in.

Is anyone aware of a system which functions like this, or what components I would need to put together to achieve this overall function?

Your help much appreciated!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X