Homeseer / Alexa Skill Device Name | Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer / Alexa Skill Device Name | Label

What device metadata field is used by Alexa skill? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work reasonably well with homeseer. Here is what I get

Homeseer:
    Location - First Floor
    Room: Kitchen
    Name: Overhead Lights

Alexa device poll gets "Overhead Lights", so to make sure Alexa finds the device properly, I have to name the device "Kitchen Overhead Lights" , which makes log files and other UI elements look like :
    First Floor Kitchen Kitchen Overhead lights.

Is there a way to create metadata field for alexa skill and target it specifically?

Thanks in advance

Try naming it just "Overhead" in the voice command area.
    The word lights is redundant (and assumed) in the API.

You can keep it as "Overhead Lights" in the device name and that will be logged.

Comment

The issue is not with "lights" but the "overhead" and the "location"

There are many overhead lights, only some are in a particular area. I have to specify the area in the name, but if I do , the UI on homeseer and touch looks rather strange, as homeseer has separate fields defined for "room" and "floor"

the API doesn't seem to be including homeseer's room/floor labels into search. and that is where the issue is.

Also, I cant seem to get Echo to recognize thermostats that are visible on HS. Is there anything I'm doing wrong there?

Comment

You can name it whatever you want in the voice recognition area of the device in HS or in the name in the alexa app. That way the actual device name won't change.

Comment

Use the Voice Command area to define the terms for the voice commands. It won't change your naming convention, floor, room, device in HomeSeer.

My Thermostats are connected via the Omni plugin, I have 3, all working properly.
          I assume most are similar.
          The Echo looks for the root device. Make sure the root device has voice command enabled and is named properly in the Voice Command area.

Comment

Working...
          X