re Scripting .. how to find Device name from Ref #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re Scripting .. how to find Device name from Ref #

I can see how to do the reverse, but is there a way to find a device name based on the Device Reference ID (or #).

I don't think there is a scripting function that will do it. What is the circumstance where you need the capability?

Jon00 has a 'Device List Viewer' that makes it easy to find the device name if you know the Ref ID. Does that do what you want?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Code:
      Sub Main(p as string)

Dim dvRef
          Dim dv

dvRef = hs.GetDeviceRefByName("Kitchen Desk Lights")
          if dvRef > 0 then
              dv = hs.GetDeviceByRef(dvRef)
              hs.WriteLog("Info","The name for the device is " & dv.name(hs))
              hs.WriteLog("Info","The location for the device is " & dv.location(hs))
              hs.WriteLog("Info","The location2 for the device is " & dv.location2(hs))
          else
              hs.WriteLog("Error","Could not find the reference for the device specified.")
          end if

End Sub
      Output:

Code:
      Jan-20 7:23:27 PM	 	Info	The location2 for the device is Lighting
      Jan-20 7:23:27 PM	 	Info	The location for the device is Kitchen
      Jan-20 7:23:27 PM	 	Info	The name for the device is Desk Lights

Comment

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          Go to HS3 settings/custom and turn on the column for “device reference”. Then sort the web page by “ref”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Sadly, RefID is not a sortable column. That is one of many reasons Jon00's Device List Viewer is useful.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

hs.devicename(refid) will return the device name, not a documented call but a handy one.

Comment

Uncle Mike.

This is a tremendous stride forward, from the "geekie" (not a users) perspective of the device list. I have to congratulate the creator of this tool.

However, I am looking for a way in a script, knowing the "Ref ID", find out "Name" that the user has given the device. Users like to work with words, computers with numbers .. Once I have the Name, then it will combined with other device info and then an email sent to a designated address. This must work in an unattended enviromnement.

Again, thanks for this info .. now I need to find a way to expand it so that it can be the solution I am looking for ...

Thanks for your help ...

Comment

Mr Happy

If this works then great ... why would anyone hide such tools that help others .. I just do not understand the development/tech staff at HS .. they were very user oriented when I first use HS1 .. but now it is geek city.

One stride forward .. 3 back .. too bad .. these are usual signs of impending demise.

I have been in IT for over 50 years and seen this happen toooooo many times.

Get off the soap box Don .. and Thanks .. .

Don

Comment

MrHappy .. that worked like a charm .. thank you .. thank you ...

To bad we need to hide our candles under bushels .. .

Thanks for your help ...

Don

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    Sadly, RefID is not a sortable column. That is one of many reasons Jon00's Device List Viewer is useful.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                    X