www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old March 15th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Seer Master

Question Converting from ISY to only PLM - using Marks plugin

@Mark
I'm considering moving away from my ISY (currently using Bob's plugin) to directly connecting my PLM to my Win10 PC.

Is there an easy way to convert to use your plugin so I don't have to re-do all my 40+ switches/dimmer devices, and associated event, in HS3?

If not currently, would you be able to make a migration method for this?

thx
Old March 16th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Insteon Overlord

A migration method will take a lot of work. I don't know anything about Bob's plugin and how he manages his hs devices, creates insteon links, his event actions, and triggers, etc. And i would have no way to test this. I don't see this happening in the future.

the easiest most straight forward method is to run both plugins while you register devices in my plugin and update events as you go. You will just need to move the cable from the isy to plm to the pc while you use my plugin.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old March 16th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
A migration method will take a lot of work. I don't know anything about Bob's plugin and how he manages his hs devices, creates insteon links, his event actions, and triggers, etc. And i would have no way to test this. I don't see this happening in the future.

the easiest most straight forward method is to run both plugins while you register devices in my plugin and update events as you go. You will just need to move the cable from the isy to plm to the pc while you use my plugin.
I was thinking something like this...

1. Update (manually or via script) the existing devices with the information your plugin puts into HS devices.

2. Import newly modified (existing) devices into your plugin database. If you are keeping a separate one?

Then, once I turned off Bob's plugin and turned on yours, your plugin would take over.

I assumed that HS3 events were just pointing to the HS3 device and didn't have anything specific to the plugin?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ltek; March 16th, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltek View Post
I was thinking something like this...

1. Update (manually or via script) the existing devices with the information your plugin puts into HS devices.

2. Import newly modified (existing) devices into your plugin database. If you are keeping a separate one?

Then, once I turned off Bob's plugin and turned on yours, your plugin would take over.

I assumed that HS3 events were just pointing to the HS3 device and didn't have anything specific to the plugin?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i appreciate your thoughts, but this is just not as easy as it sounds.