Dropping WiFi Connections - Fix posted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping WiFi Connections - Fix posted!

I just received my HomeTroller SEL several days ago and I seem to be having WiFi problems.

My system is set for DHCP on WiFi but it drops connection once/twice a day and I then have to reboot the system for the connection to reestablish. I tried refreshing from the Ubuntu toolbar .. but the network icons just spins indefinitely.

The problem does not appear if I hard wire the unit directly into the router.

Yeah here just mentioned that today Linux does work fine plug n play like with just about any WiFi hardware today.

The default for Ubuntu hardware is to go to power savings mode; well the same for Wintel.

The setting is there for that wireless hardware

Give it a try and let us know if that works for you.

Via command line it is using the command "iwconfig eth1". Note that this is an example only and a guess. Wireless is radio such that all kinds of stuff can affect it; IE: walls, sunspots, people, microwaves, lighting, noisy motors, et al. Too It is one shared pipe to the radio AP; such that if no QOS traffic priorities are set; then it can iffy.

Code:
    $ iwconfig eth1

eth1     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"OSU_PUB"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.427 GHz  Access Point: 00:0D:9D:C6:38:2D   
              Bit Rate=48 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0  
              Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
             [B] Power Management:off[/B]
              Link Quality=91/100  Signal level=-39 dBm  Noise level=-87 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:860  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:39   Missed beacon:8
    It is recommended too to install specific for wireless only GUI tools which purely are there to manage the wireless hardware.

That and as with any operating OS today; do an update as it might also include updated wireless drivers.

I downloaded and installed most current and posted Ubuntu 14.04 with a desktop gui last week on another piece of hardware.

I did update it right after installation and it was close to 300 files of updating; such that I just walked away from it.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I took the chicken way out this morning and just hooked it up to my router directly. Its important enough that i didn't want to take any chances. However, now I have a bigger problem .. .will send in another post.

Comment

On the HomeTroller-SEL, the command is:
        Code:
        iwconfig wlan0
        wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
                  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
                  Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
                  Power Management:off
        The default Power Management is off.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I just switched mine to WiFi to see if I can duplicate the issue you're experiecing.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

That didn't take long... definitely some strangeness going on with the WiFi connection. I am no longer connected to the network via WiFi and am not even seeing the SSID I am connected to nor can I connect to my other WiFi network.

Regards,
            Ultrajones

Comment

Guys please call Homeseer and talk to Mark about this issue.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'll let ultrajones make that call .. I think he can describe it better than me.

Comment

As Pete suggested, I think the issue is related to the WiFi card going into power saving mode. Since creating the following file, I have not lost the connection to the wireless network.

Code:
                  homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
                  #Prevents the WiFi card from automatically sleeping and halting connection
                  options rtl8723be fwlps=0 swlps=0
                  Code:
                  homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ lspci -v | grep -i wireless
                  02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
                  Regards,
                  Ultrajones

Comment

We are looking into this, looks like there is a kernel upgrade that fixes this, I will let you know.

Also, there are reports that disabling powe save on the wifi fixes it, as posted, please post if this works for you.

Comment

We are currently testing a fix and will put out an update as soon as we know the WiFi connection is fixed and no longer disconnects. Thanks for reporting this! If you find any issues please send me an email (jon@homeseer.com).
                      Thanks again!

Comment

Any update on this issue? I'd like to move my HomeTroller to a more central location in my house and need WiFi working in order to be able to do so.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wposner View Post
                          Any update on this issue? I'd like to move my HomeTroller to a more central location in my house and need WiFi working in order to be able to do so
                          I receive a work-around for the WiFi issue. You might want to open a ticket to get that work-around. They also posted an update to HometrollerSEL.

Comment

The issue is fixed. Open a helpdesk ticket and Jon will get you the instructions. As long as you know how to SSH to the box, you can apply the patch yourself.

Originally posted by bobgott View Post
                            I receive a work-around for the WiFi issue. You might want to open a ticket to get that work-around. They also posted an update to HometrollerSEL.

Comment

SEL Wifi Fix

Open up LXTerminal (Start->Accessories) (or SSH to your SEL)
                              The links below have been shortened with an ellipsis. Please make sure you check the link to get the complete URL

Enter the follow commands:
                              sudo wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...31935_i386.deb
                              Enter your password (default is ‘hsthsths3’)
                              sudo wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...031935_all.deb
                              sudo wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...31935_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.16.0-*.deb linux-image-3.16.0-*.deb
                              Enter Y when it prompts you.

Once that has finished enter:

sudo apt-get -f autoremove
                              sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.13

Once everything has been removed:
                              cd /boot/grub
                              sudo rm –f grub.cfg
                              sudo wget http://homeseer.com/sel/grub.cfg
                              sudo reboot
                              Last edited by jseer; November 7, 2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X