Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling to find a place for Hue bulbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling to find a place for Hue bulbs.

I found a great deal on a Hue Lighting starter kit with four color LED bulbs. I am really struggling to find a place for them in my house. All of my switches are zwave dimmer and on/off switches. The problem is, as you all know, if I have the Hue Bulbs in any of the lights that are connected to the zwave switch, the switch must be on for the Hue bulb to receive commands.

So if I want to set up an event I must turn on the light, which will set the Hue bulb to a full power white light, and then I can send a command to the hue bulb to dim and change color. This is not ideal, for a night light it would blind you before the hue bulb could dim and change color.

Anyways, I am looking for ideas or thoughts.

Comment

I have also heard of people wiring the switch to always be on. I am afraid this would cause confusion with my wife and kids. I am beginning to think that the light strips are the way to go, with a few bulbs in stand alone lamps.

Comment

Comment

I have this configuration (hue+fibaro modules) and the solution i found was to set 2 events for mantain de fibaro device allways on. This works good, the only downside it's that when i push the switch to off, the light blinks and dim until it's off.

I don't no if i understand exactly what you want to accomplish, but if i am correct that's possible. I made a quick test, and if the light is off...i select the color "red", for example, in the color picker off the devices management...the light turn on to red without going to a full power white light.

First i thing in rewire the light so it’s always on, like @gd1210 sugest. But it's a little dangerous and in my country it's not legal.

Note: In some way the module does the same thing (keeps the the circuit always on) but you don't need to rewire.

Comment

I had a similar issue with LIFX bulbs.

I removed the Z-wave dimmers, hardwired the lights so they are always on, and replaced the dimmers with a Cooper 5 Buttons Scene Controller

I then programmed the buttons on the controller to trigger events in HS3 that turn the LIFX lights on, dim, or off.

You need to make sure that you have a neutral wire in the box where you want to put the Scene Controller.

Mike

Comment

I hard wired at the wall switch. Replaced the existing switch with a Lutron Caseta Pico.The Pico is used as a scene controller and sends commands to trigger the event off and on. No one in my house knows the distance.

Comment

Working...
              X