TTS voice works on Win10 but not Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTS voice works on Win10 but not Android

I've installed two 3d party voices from harposoftware.com (Swedish). They won't show up in Windows 10 Control panel but they do show in the HomeSeer Speaker app.

When using TTS on the Windows 10 machine where HS is installed the text is correctly spoken with the voice selected in the HomeSeer Speaker app. But on my Android tablet, running HSTouch, a default voice is used (not even the default one in Windows 10).

I've restarted everything but to no use. Is there something I can test to get my 3d party voice spoken on my android tablet?

Originally posted by Freddan101 View Post
    I've installed two 3d party voices from harposoftware.com (Swedish). They won't show up in Windows 10 Control panel but they do show in the HomeSeer Speaker app.

When using TTS on the Windows 10 machine where HS is installed the text is correctly spoken with the voice selected in the HomeSeer Speaker app. But on my Android tablet, running HSTouch, a default voice is used (not even the default one in Windows 10).

I've restarted everything but to no use. Is there something I can test to get my 3d party voice spoken on my android tablet?

Comment

Windows 10 creates a bit of a problem. It now defaults to 64-bit voices, the voices set in settings are the 64-bit voices. HomeSeer uses 32-bit voices. While you can select a default (32-bit) voice within the HS speaker client, it does not set the system 32-bit default for the O/S.

To get to the 32-bit voices and to set a default for the computer, which will also be used when HS generates TTS files for your Android clients, you need to go to the 32-bit voice controls here:

C:\Windows\System32\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

For some reason the control panel is located here as well:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

You can see what 32-bit voices are installed and what is used as a default.

The default voice can be overridden with SAPI tags within your TTS text like this:

<voice required="name = Microsoft David Desktop">The house lights will turn off in ten minutes

This will force "David" to make the announcement, even though "Zira" is the default.
      Last edited by randy; August 16, 2017, 09:44 AM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Wow, thank you! This was nothing I would have figured out on my own...

I just remoted in from work, followed your link and could set the voices I've downloaded. I will try the tablet tonight and report back.

Comment

I can confirm that it works as expected on the Android tablet. Many, many thanks. Respect. [emoji41]

Comment

It has confounded many Windows 10 users. Windows 7 defaulted to 32-bit voices.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              Windows 10 creates a bit of a problem. It now defaults to 64-bit voices, the voices set in settings are the 64-bit voices. HomeSeer uses 32-bit voices. While you can select a default (32-bit) voice within the HS speaker client, it does not set the system 32-bit default for the O/S.

To get to the 32-bit voices and to set a default for the computer, which will also be used when HS generates TTS files for your Android clients, you need to go to the 32-bit voice controls here:

C:\Windows\System32\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

For some reason the control panel is located here as well:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

You can see what 32-bit voices are installed and what is used as a default.

The default voice can be overridden with SAPI tags within your TTS text like this:

<voice required="name = Microsoft David Desktop">The house lights will turn off in ten minutes

This will force "David" to make the announcement, even though "Zira" is the default.
              Slightly OT but is it possible to use a SAPI tag to control the volume as well? Don't want to wake the whole house up with my "Good morning" message.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddan101 View Post
                Slightly OT but is it possible to use a SAPI tag to control the volume as well? Don't want to wake the whole house up with my "Good morning" message.
                There are SAPI tags to control volume as well as many others. I have found that many do not work, but haven't tried the volume tag "<volume level="50">".

SAPI tags.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  There are SAPI tags to control volume as well as many others. I have found that many do not work, but haven't tried the volume tag "<volume level="50">".

SAPI tags.
                  Great, thanks. I will try the volume tag out.

Comment

Working...
                  X