Guidance on deploying my HS Zee and Leviton 4 button Scene Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance on deploying my HS Zee and Leviton 4 button Scene Controller

I would like some guidance or documentation on helping setup this scenario, and understanding better the issues before I implement.

I have the Zee HS2 (will post in after description).
    I have approx 60 Leviton Dimmers (VRI06, VRE06, VRM06, VRI01), the Leviton outlets w/ switchable outlet, and the infamous 4 button scene controllers.

After initially setting up the devices, and having used Plugins, ZWave, Scene Management - I was told that I should NOT use those scenes for these. So I removed those scenes and created then in View Events. Some of the issues I were experiencing were resolved and my basic on/off functions are now working fine. My events are working well (basic lighting on / dimming / bedtime reduction, morning turn off) as well as fountain pumps turning on and off at various times.

The step I'm requesting guidance for now is making use of about 15 Leviton 4 button scene controllers to either activate a single device, or an event / scene. Note again I was told NOT to use Plugins, ZWave, Scene Management.

I was told about Virtual Scene controllers (I have not set one up yet).
    So, Initially the following basics regarding the Leviton 4 button VRCZ4-MRZ's.

(My VRCZ4-MRZ's are also switches, so button 1 generally controls the physical connection if it is used locally). Most of mine were put in place specifically to manage the scenes, and NOT a local device there, but I can expand them with that function.

What is the best method / process to add the following type of functions to those buttons:
    - A single device (like a specific light, usually dimmable), or a switch or outlet for a single device?
    - An event that is already defined, that I can physically execute (example, I have an aviary watering switch that I occasionally want to manually execute in addition to the already programmed events that occur every hour during the day.
    - I notice that these devices show up with G1, G2, G3, G4 which I believe are Groups. What are Groups for, and how are they used?
    - Are there any helpful naming schemes (noting there are 5 entry records per device - the base switch, and the 4 buttons). Currently I'm using something like SCxx-B1 where xx would be the scene controller node number in the system, and B=button).
    - If it is helpful - I have a mapping already in place with the usage or functions I'm trying to setup / map - I just want to do it right the first time.

Current Date/Time: 8/16/2017 1:33:44 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.318
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 6 Days 22 Hours 33 Minutes 5 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.165
    Number of Devices: 130
    Number of Events: 16
    Available Threads: 396

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.6.5.0: Harmony Hub
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave

Any guidance would be appreciated. Also between all the devices I have about 125 devices, dimmers, switches, scene controllers, outlets.

Please also direct this to the proper group discussion - I'm just getting familiar with the HS Site.

I'll also have some separate questions which I'll pose specific to those questions.

I'd recommend updating to the latest version of HS3 first by going to Tools -> Setup
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Are you suggesting updating to one of the Beta versions?
      I'm on the most current GA release - just don't have any beta versions loaded.

Comment

Before you update shut down Homeseer. Back up the ENTIRE homeseer directory first.

Update Homeseer 3 and Z-Wave if you want.

Here at Homeseer 3 beta version 349. Beta version 350 is around the corner. It now integrates Homeseer touch. Z-Wave beta is at 3.0.1.139 .

Backing up your Homeseer directory is relatively simple and insures that you have everthing. Your Z-Wave devices are kept in the Z-Wave controller firmware.

Once you have backed up Homeseer, enable Homeseer, update Homeseer and your Z-Wave plugin. If it doesn't work for you then shut down Homeseer, remove new Homeseer directory (entire directory) and copy back your directory and restart HS3. You will be at the point before you updated.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Before you update; shut down Homeseer. Back up the ENTIRE homeseer directory first.

Update Homeseer 3 and Z-Wave to beta if you want. There are Homeseer standard releases and beta releases. Note that the beta releases are moved to standard releases after HST and user testing. That said you to accept that there may be issues with the beta that will not work for you. You can always restore your backup with the standard releases of HS3 and ZWave plugins.

Here at Homeseer 3 beta version 349. Beta version 350 is around the corner. It now integrates Homeseer touch. Z-Wave beta is at 3.0.1.139 .

Backing up your Homeseer directory is relatively simple and insures that you have everthing. Your Z-Wave devices are kept in the Z-Wave controller firmware.

Once you have backed up Homeseer, enable Homeseer, update Homeseer and your Z-Wave plugin. If it doesn't work for you then shut down Homeseer, remove new Homeseer directory (entire directory) and copy back your directory and restart HS3. You will be at the point before you updated.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

OK - will update once I have time to ensure I have full backups.
            Independent of that, do you have any advice on the setup of the Leviton 4 button scene controllers?

I'm trying to do a few of them the Right Way up front so I don't have to backtrack.

Again I'm on the HS3 Zee S2 module, so I'm assuming the directories you're referencing would be visible at the Linux CLI.

Thanks for the help. (BTW - I have 15 of those controllers distributed at this point).

One thing that would be helpful - are there any direct Support Guides that describe all the fields and how to use them? I've looked and see quick guides, but they don't really go into the item by item breakdown.

On the Levitons - most of the mappings I have in place are single devices already on a switch or dimmer now. Whats the correct way to link those, and are there any "interactions" to be aware of? (I seem to remember reading one post about items in a scene were both affected when a switch was selected, etc.).

Next - how to properly build a scene to control with one of the 4 buttons.
            Those two would be a good start.

Comment

I'm assuming the directories you're referencing would be visible at the Linux CLI.

Yes using the CLI command window you would type:

cp -R source destination/

The "R" means copy the directories recursively.

one alternative is to utilize rsync.

rsync -r source/ destination

Even easier is to utilize the Linux or Windows (WinSCP) explorer like utility.
              Here you just copy the directory using the GUI. It's easy and fast. I utilize root access via WinSCP or Linux.

I have 15 of those controllers distributed at this point

Are these controllers Zee Homeseer boxes in different physical locations with remote access?

Are you managing multiple homes?

One thing that would be helpful - are there any direct Support Guides that describe all the fields and how to use them? I've looked and see quick guides, but they don't really go into the item by item breakdown.

Not really although this is one of many mechanisms for Linux directory back up. Note that when you install Homeseer on Linux it is only a directory being installed and assumes that you are running Mono.

NOTE: with Z-Wave the hardware is considered the controller which is connected serially to the computer. Homeseer talks to the Z-Wave controller via a serial link (could be serial to network or serial to USB). The Z-Wave controller only saves the nodes stuff and not any Homeseer events, triggers et al.

On the Levitons - most of the mappings I have in place are single devices already on a switch or dimmer now. Whats the correct way to link those, and are there any "interactions" to be aware of? (I seem to remember reading one post about items in a scene were both affected when a switch was selected, etc.).

I am not familiar with Z-Wave scenes. Currently only UPB scenes. Here utilize multitoggle and dual load UPB switches. The toggles can control the local loads or links. The links can be defined to control multiple UPB switches. I do local toggle scenes here and remote via Homeseer scenes. IE: afterhours outdoor lighting is basic. If any motion outside after 1AM then turn on every light outside at 100% via a defined scene (if then thing).

If and when managing multiple locations (this part comes from work stuff); then a plan of action is defined and scheduled (well like approval through change managment). Before it is approved though it must be acknowledged by your clients. No surprises. Finally an email and or phone call to each site or client telling them what you are basically doing and asking permission. Be concise here. You also should have a back up plan in case of any failures. This is typical in an enterprise type environment with multiple sites with multiple users. The follow up is to document or update the documentation to include the changes done.

Next - how to properly build a scene to control with one of the 4 buttons.
              Those two would be a good start.

I have no answer for you here as my primary lightning is UPB (I do also have X10,Zigbee and Z-Wave). The in-wall switches here are all UPB.
              Last edited by Pete; August 17, 2017, 01:35 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3Switch170-A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1192002Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3Switch171Inf-A.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1192003

Device Options on scene
                Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3Switch171Cnf-A.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1192004Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3Switch173-A.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1192005

This scene is on the same controller, but button 3, and as you can see under Device Name column there are two devices listed here from the scene configuration.

This is rudimentary, so any other suggestions, or expansion on using these for large scene configurations (like using Virtual SC's) guidance, information on what some of the fields should do, etc. would be appreciated.

Chip

Comment

Working...
                X