www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer X10 Plug-in

Old May 13th, 2017, 02:58 PM
OverSeer

Noise too can come in from the outside of your home.

When enabling the plugin in the plugins window watch that GUI for an OK or Warning or no connection first.

On the working X10 switches are there delays or are the commands instant? On a delay you will see the on part keep repeating until the X10 switch goes on. If it doesn't you will see it also with a constant attempt to turn on the X10 switch.

Then look at your debug logs to see the actual back and forth banter between Homeseer and the CM11A. If that is working or there is a lot of noise on your line you will see an error connecting to you CM11A or an error like it is not connected.

Once the above pieces are OK / working then add one X10 device and tell it to go on or off and watch the logs again. Noise will extend the banter, no noise the communications is less than a second.

Recently here reinstalled the old blocking coupler X10 bridge back in the fuse panel. It is a PITA to install because I had to remove the mains incoming neutral wire to the bus and put it through the hole in the bridge / coupler. Relating to X10 also went to using Jeff's XTB X10 stuff (X10 on steroids). All this only mostly for my once a year Christmas lighting using X10 appliance, light and outdoor Black and Decker modules. Main powerline switches here are UPB. UPB is using a phase repeater as it worked better than a phase coupler (also use Z-Wave and Zigbee these days).

Here use an X10 chime on A1 to test and the old x10 powerflash (alarm thing) cuz the relays are really loud and there is a chimer with those too.

Or you can temporarily install HS3 on a laptop with only a CM11A connected and test room to room to look for X10 signal sinkers. Here went to multiple CM11A's and UPB Pims on serial servers around the house to check for noise (but not for regular use). (basement is primary and have one on the main floor and 2nd floor of the home today).

Automator

Last edited by Pete; May 13th, 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Seer

I finally decided to run phone cable from the RS-232 to RJ11 plug from the computer in the bedroom to the basement and plugged in the CM11A to a known working outlet from the past. Now I get a WARNING! in the X10 plugin status column. Does anybody know why this is happening? PLease help.
Old May 16th, 2017, 04:06 PM
OverSeer

Have you tried disabling then re enabling the X10 plug-in?

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old May 16th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Seer

The problem was in the RJ11 connections. I thought all Rj11 connector plugs were the same until I did some research. Turns out that telephone connectors are 6P 4C, meaning that the actual connector has a wider footprint to accommodate 6 conductors and phones only use 4 conductors (actually they only need the 2 inner conductors). RJ11 4P 4C (like the ones on phone handsets) are narrower, same as the interface with the CM11A. I found this out by trying to plug in a 6P 4C connector directly to the CM11A. So I tried cutting the sides off of the RJ11 sold in stores and somewhat successfully plugged it into the CM11A. But here's where the trouble comes in, connecting the RJ11 4P 4C connector into a standard phone line coupler. Obviously it was too narrow to get a proper fit. That was my problem, so I decided to cut the RS-232 to RJ11 4P cable in half and crimp on store bought RJ11 connectors. I then was able to attach either end to a phone coupler. Problem solved.
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:23 AM
OverSeer

Good news Ivan.

Yes the CM11A RJ jack is the same size as an old phone headset.

Very difficult to find these RJ ends these days. Where did you find them?
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Seer

I couldn't find them anywhere except overseas for manufacturers in lots of 1000. I couldn't find anywhere on the Internet any kind of coupler adapter that converts 6P 4C to 4P 4C, for that matter I couldn't find a 4P 4C to 4P 4C coupler either. What I did was to cut in half the existing RS-232 to RJ11 4P 4C cable that came with the CM11A, solving both problems on either of the ends. I just installed regular RJ11 6P 4C connectors that can easily be connected together using any store bought 6P 4C coupler. In my case I used one coupler in the basement to connect to the CM11A and one coupler at the RS-232 end to connect to the computer in the bedroom. Solved the problem.
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:43 AM
OverSeer

Yes here on last endeavor relating to the CM11A's did the same as you.

IE: just cut the wires and installed regular sized RJ-11 ends and couplers.

This is the same thing I did in the 1990's. In the 2000's switched over to using cat5e for a similar run of RS-232. Trying to reduce wiring footprint took it back to old telephone wire and repurposing cat5e for a network run.

I am using a Digi Edgeport here and plugged the other side directly to the Digi Edgeport. Maybe a 25 foot run there.

The X10 plugin debug diagnostics is very granular now. If you have any sort of X10 noise on your lines you will see a warning or no connection to the CM11A on the plugin manager. If you look at the logging you will see more stuff.
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Good news Ivan.

Yes the CM11A RJ jack is the same size as an old phone headset.

Very difficult to find these RJ ends these days. Where did you find them?
Hi,
I find this on amazon (fr for me)

https://www.amazon.com/Modular-Plug-...3&keywords=rj9

Jean-Francois
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:51 PM
OverSeer

Thank you Jean-Francois.
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Seer

Thank you Jean Francois,
I was researching RJ11s. Didn't know about the RJ9s. Thanks for the info and the Amazon URL. I saved it to my lists for future reference.
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
OverSeer

I went to googling here as I have really not used RJ9's much except for the CM11A and I would always just replace the handset cords (which was a pita to do). I did not know about an RJ9, RJ10 and RJ22 connector; just that it was smaller than an RJ11.

What is the difference between RJ9, RJ10, RJ11, RJ12 and RJ45 connectors?

These are all crimp connectors with gold pins used for telecoms, networking and occasionally low voltage lighting control applications. The difference is in the number of positions available on the connector and the number of contacts actually present. Obviously where there are more positions the connector is necessarily larger.

RJ48: 10P10C = 10 Position 10 Contact – used in some comms wiring and data environments
RJ45: 8P8C = 8 Position 8 Contact – used in Network Wiring including Cat 6 and Cat5e
RJ12: 6P6C = 6 Position 6 Conductor – used in System phones
RJ11: 6P4C = 6 Position 4 Conductor – used for ADSL, telephone, and modem cables etc.
RJ9 / RJ10 / RJ22: 4P4C = 4 Position 4 Conductor – used for Telephone Handset cables.

The RJ11 and RJ12 are the same size, even though they have a different number of contacts.
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Seer Master

FYI, these connectors (and their mates) are readily available from DigiKey: Modular Connectors - Plugs

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:12 AM
OverSeer

Thanks Mark.

Here just reinstalled one CM11A by the fuse panel and had previously cut and patched a cat5e cable and now have gone back to using old telephone flat line 4 conductor cable.

Such that next to the fuse panel now is (on separate breakers). This is the way it was set up but I was using cat5e and rj45 baluns to RS-232 or RJ-11/12.

CM11A, TW-523 and XTB IIR using telephone wire going to server section and Leviton panels section. For Leviton OP2 now utilize X10, UPB, Zigbee and Z-Wave. For Homeseer utilize X10 (via CM11A and TW-523 Ocelot), UPB and ZWave. (indirectly Zigbee via Homeseer OP2 and playing with Smarthings hub)

Will take a picture of what I did. (or redid).

Also adding surge monitoring and am trying to find the module for voltage monitoring on my surge protector. (it is a commercial set up with module boards)